• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sellos

grilly

As I am mentally preparing to leave for the Camino, I just remembered a friend who always took two sellos: one for his creancial and one for his journal. Thus, after 60 odd days walking from Le Puy to Santiago, his journal had, of course, a fantastic collection of sellos. I have followed his example and intend to do the same again this time.
Some of you might like the idea, if you don't do it already.
¡Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
grilly, great suggestion but just think what all that extra ink weighs by the time you get to SDC. :shock:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's a great idea! That way, it might help pilgrims remember what sello was from where/when. I have heard that as one gets closer to Santiago, the sellos start over-lapping and blending together. I'm bringing my journal with me and might get it stamped if I have a stop in a cafe/bar and take the time to journal on my experience so far. Having the sellos in my journal would really come in handy when I get back to the States so when I show my friends and family the passport, it would be easier to tell them which sellos are from where.

Buen Camino y De Colores!
8) Wandering "that's where I've been" Christian :arrow:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This seems a good place to ask my question. I'm a little hazy on what to expect and what to look for as for the sellos.

My wife and I plan to walk Sarria to SdC in September. We will not always stay in albergues, but some hotels as well.
Must we, or may we, get our credentials stamped at cathedrals, albergues or pilgrim offices along the way even if we do not stay there?
I have seen, in Web videos, stamps from many places; restaurants, hotels, etc.
What is necessary to present at the next albergue? What in necessary to present at the Compostela office?

Thanks in advance.

Hola and welcome.
The general answer to similar questions is to get 2 sellos per day in the last 100kms and not just from bars. Cathedrals, albergues, ,hostales, hotels, ayuntamientos (town halls) etc as well as bars/cafés have sellos. We had one from a school on the Inglés and 2 signatures from locals outside of closed churches with date, place and time.
We made sure to get our 2 stamps per day and if there are only bars on one stretch then get them rather than nothing.
Buen Camino

Tia Valeria said:
Hola and welcome.

We made sure to get our 2 stamps per day and if there are only bars on one stretch then get them rather than nothing.
Buen Camino

Gracias, Tia.
Let me see if I understand you correctly.
If we pass an albergue (or bar, or restaurant, or church) we can walk in, ask for sellos, thank the nice person, and be on our way?
This would be great for us. Adds the excitment of collecting sellos. :D
Also, I love the idea of the the separate journal for sellos and notes. We will be in several other areas along the Camino before our walk, and collecting in the journal is a fine idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
CaptBuddy said:
Gracias, Tia.
Let me see if I understand you correctly.
If we pass an albergue (or bar, or restaurant, or church) we can walk in, ask for sellos, thank the nice person, and be on our way? .........
Yes that is right, although from bars/cafés/restaurants we would normally expect to be buying a coffee or something. Also Terry says that some churches have their sello and ink pad near the door for ' DIY' if no-one is around.

Looking back at all the sellos we collected brings back great memories. Fortunately the CSJ credenciales have good sized spaces so the sellos don't overlap; they also have a line for date, place, time under each, so all our info will be there. We are taking a few extra photocopied blanks in case our enthusiasm means we run short of spaces. 'Journal' is some plain paper folded to half A5 in an attempt to keep weight down. Good thing my writing can be very small :)

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.