• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Semana Santa in Seville

jjarnold

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francés 2008, Via de la Plata March-april 2016
Hi, planning to start my VdlP camino from seville departing easter week. Any tips from those who know seville and the semana santa festivities? i have read that the all night event on thursday night was very special and was thinking to start out after that, perhaps easter friday or saturday. Or would people suggest i stay through easter sunday and depart on the monday. Are albergues and hostels in towns on the route closed over easter time? Any advice gratefully received
thanks
Jen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jen, I was just about to write a very similar post. I am thinking of arriving in Spain sometime that week and I am wondering about the logistics of starting the walk sometime on the Easter weekend.
Mary Louise

I have a window of opportunity for a 30-day in March or April.
For planning purposes, this is what I see on the Catholic Calendar:

Palm Sunday (Sunday, March 20, 2016)
Holy Thursday (Thursday, March 24, 2016)
Good Friday (Friday, March 25, 2016)
Holy Saturday (Saturday, March 26, 2016)
Easter Sunday (Sunday, March 27, 2016)

Just wondering about the challenges on finding stores, restaurants, or pharmacies open--and a good place to sleep--during that week.

Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am also looking at a March 2016 VDP departure to coordinate with Semana Santa. From all I have investigated, apart from restaurants and hotels in Seville during the whole week a lot of things are closed, particularly on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Also, on booking.com a number of hotels in the early stages of the route immediately after SS are already booked out. Consequently I am thinking of going to the celebrations in Seville, then heading down and starting the Camino in Cadiz on the Via Augusta, which will bring me back to Seville and subsequent points north when things have died down. I am also told that although Easter Monday is not officially a public holiday in Andalusia, a lot of facilities remain closed.

Hi guys - I just posted for Jen on another thread but will repeat here as it may be a better thread

I am a ‘fan’ of Semana Santa so of course I’ll preface by saying I’m biased! The pasos (parades) cause all sorts of congestion in the centre so be warned that walking around is very slow and you need a good map. It is a great time to enjoy wonderful tapas and the spirit of Sevilla.
There are something like 60-70 parades throughout the week and they mainly start after noon but if would want to stay for Madrugada (Thursday) you’ll need Friday to recover/sleep as you stay up all night and end with early morning hot chocolate/churros - very traditional and fun to hang with the locals.
The procession of the confradia Macarena is the most colourful and popular (although Triana confradia would say otherwise!). You will see the Nazarenos (carrying either enormous candles or crosses), an army of ‘roman centurians’. You may encounter a traditional gypsy chant (saeta) at points along the route as locals serenade the virgen from their balconies and you will definitely see locals throwing rose petals over the virgen. It’s a wonderful sight.
Another favourite Confradia of mine is ‘Silencio’ It is just that - the Nazarenos (pilgrims) walk in silence and many in bare feet or hand made sandals. It is incredibly moving.
It’s a great idea to invest a little time before you leave and read up on the parades and the pasos (floats, same name) so you have a better understanding of what is happening. If you speak a little Spansih you’ll have fun chatting to the locals about the intricacies of each carved image of the Virgen and Jesus.
My favourite processions are: La Borriquita (salida - when they leave the Church), El Museo (nice and small), EL Baratill0, Las Siete Palabras (my local confradia), Los Negritos, Pasion (Must see the image of Jesus - masterpiece), El Silencio, Gran Poder (entrada - when it returns to the church), La Mararena, Los Gitanos (gypsies).
You must get a little booklet with the routes and times when you arrive in Sevilla. Ask at the info office. The newspapers have them as a liftout also.
Hope this has helped a little. Have you booked somewhere to stay? AirBnB is good in Seville. Stay in the old town (central).
PM me if you have anything specific you need to know. I’m heading off to Portugal on Friday so will be out of action for a few days then on my camino!
Have a Buen Camino

I am also looking at a March 2016 VDP departure to coordinate with Semana Santa. From all I have investigated, apart from restaurants and hotels in Seville during the whole week a lot of things are closed, particularly on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Also, on booking.com a number of hotels in the early stages of the route immediately after SS are already booked out. Consequently I am thinking of going to the celebrations in Seville, then heading down and starting the Camino in Cadiz on the Via Augusta, which will bring me back to Seville and subsequent points north when things have died down. I am also told that although Easter Monday is not officially a public holiday in Andalusia, a lot of facilities remain closed.
Geoff - the Sevillanas will always have bars open (even in the middle of Aug when the place is desserted). Don’t worry about food - millions of little bars ;) open as there are a million visitors for S S (Semana Santa). Accommodation is the difficulty. Lots of Pensions. Best is to look for somewhere central as you will be walking everywhere.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to all, your words are welcome indeed. I was somehow feeling full of trepidation about setting out, and Gracie, your words have replaced it with eagerness and excitement, reminding me of the gifts to be found on the road. I do speak spanish (although my liturgical vocabulary is somewhat limited). I like your suggestion of airBnB. I will book the air ticket (must be paid for by tomorrow), and trust that all plans will work out. Might have a few more questions for you Gracie, before the end - thanks again for your encouragement and help

Mia hope to see you on the route! and Geoff, as well if you don't detour via Cadiz

Jen

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back