• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experiencing Semana Santa while Walking the Camino Frances

TonyScotland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago - Frances
Camino Ingles
I am walking the Camino Frances this year and I have timed it to coincide with the Semana Santa as I think this will be an amazing time to walk the Camino. I arrive in Santiago on the 8th April so will have Easter Sunday and Monday in Santiago which I am very excited about.
1 For those who have walked the Camino during the Semana Santa what was the experience like?
2 Does the Botafumeiro swing throughout the Easter celebrations?
3 If I miss the Pilgrims office on the 8th April (Saturday) will the office be open on Easter Sunday and Monday
or will I have to wait until Tuesday?

Thanks
Tony

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Tony, we walked the Inglés during Semana Santa a couple years ago. Very much enjoyed this Camino as well as the experience during Semana Santa. On this route, we primarily met and interacted with Spanish pilgrims who were walking specifically because it was Holy Week. The Inglés was not particularly crowded. You might find a larger crowd coming in from Sarria. We, too, arrived in SdC the Saturday before Easter to a most exciting time in this city. We had no problem getting our Compostela’s at the Pilgrim’s Office the day we arrived. Regarding the Botafumeiro, we were lucky enough to see it fly on Easter, but I couldn’t say how frequently it swings Easter weekend. However, as it is magnificent, I do hope you get to see it.

Hey Tony, we walked the Inglés during Semana Santa a couple years ago. Very much enjoyed this Camino as well as the experience during Semana Santa. On this route, we primarily met and interacted with Spanish pilgrims who were walking specifically because it was Holy Week. The Inglés was not particularly crowded. You might find a larger crowd coming in from Sarria. We, too, arrived in SdC the Saturday before Easter to a most exciting time in this city. We had no problem getting our Compostela’s at the Pilgrim’s Office the day we arrived. Regarding the Botafumeiro, we were lucky enough to see it fly on Easter, but I couldn’t say how frequently it swings Easter weekend. However, as it is magnificent, I do hope you get to see it.
Thank you and I think you right it will be very busy from Sarria onwards but I have booked my accommodation in advance just in case. Good to know I can get to the pilgrims office on the Saturday and I am very excited to see the Botafumeiro as I misssed it when I did the Ingles in May 2022 which I loved.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2 Does the Botafumeiro swing throughout the Easter celebrations?
Not necessarily. As you can see from this quote below these are the dates that the Botafumerio is guaranteed to swing.
From the Catedral website
The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

• The Epiphany: 6 January
  • Resurrection Sunday
  • The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
  • The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
  • All Saints: 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December
However, it will also swing on days that groups and individuals pay for it.

JImG59 is correct.

The Church funds the use of the Botafumeiro on the days listed - ONLY.

At all other times, and at all other, lesser, religious commemorations and Masses, the Botafumeiro is used IF someone contacts the pilgrim office at:

www.botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es (in Spanish)

... and offers to pay for the Botafumeiro to be used at a specific Mass or occasion.

With this subscription, comes preferred seating so you and / or your group can be up front to see it all, without obstruction. That is why most of the paid use of the botafumeiro is by groups.

Those who are making pilgrimage, or who are visiting the cathedral otherwise - even cruise ship passengers bussed up from the port at Vigo for day trips - get front row seating if their host paid for the use of the botafumeiro. But, usually, it is a civic group, church group, boy scouts, girl scouts, a corporate group, the military, etc. who have walked into Santiago de Compostela, and want to be certain that they see the Botafumeiro while they are there.

Don't quote me, but as of last summer, when I worked as a volunteer, I recall the per use price was something like €450. I could be incorrect. Consider that there is an expense to maintaining the Botafumeiro. It is fundamentally a really heavy and precious (solid silver) kettle barbeque on a chain. It needs to be serviced and cleaned between uses.

Also, the men who pull the ropes - Tiraboleiros - are compensated for their partication in this honored activity. Long gone are the days when seminarians or legions of religious men could be pressed into service.

There are perhaps 15-18 of these fellows available when needed. So this select cadre of local men are called on to do the honors.

I consider this all to be rather practical and reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I timed my Camino Primitivo walk to coincide with Holy Week because the Sudarium which is kept in Oviedo cathedral's treasury is displayed on Good Friday. Allegedly the cloth which covered the face of Christ in the tomb. I have my doubts about its provenance but as a historic artefact it had a strong appeal. Staying for a couple of days also gave me a chance to witness a couple of penitentes processions. As a Protestant Scot that was something fascinating and well out of my own experience. I thoroughly recommend experiencing a Holy Week in Spain!

I walked during Semana Santa in 2019, I'm not really religious but i thoroughly enjoyed the easter processions in the smaller towns, in León it was very busy, the music was nice, I've never experienced anything like it before. I will say one thing and that is try to get accommodation away from the main bars and restaurants etc because it's difficult to get to sleep when the fiestas are in full swing until the early hours, buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We will also be there during the Semana Santa period to do our first walk this year. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the information regarding the Botafumeiro. I can't seem to find much information online on the events during this period especially procession days and time. Can someone please share if they know for example Good Friday, Holy Sat and Easter Sunday when and where?

Also as this will be our first time to Santiago, can someone also please share the must do and see in Santiago?

Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back