• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senda Litoral or Coastal from Viana do Castelo to Viana Praia de Ancora?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019, Coastal Portuguese 2022, 1/2 CF Fall 2022
We have been walking from Porto and very much enjoying the walk next to the coast! We are in Viana do Castelo tonight and debating whether to take the Senda Litoral along the coast or inland Coastal route.

The Brierly description had me a bit concerned (about sand covering the route). Is it mostly boardwalks and roads from Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ancora?

I saw another post about being prepared (not a problem...always too prepared!)

Please excuse me if I cannot respond to posts until tomorrow. We set off tomorrow and will make a decision about route in the morn.

Many thanks in advance!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
in 2018 the boardwalks were easy enough.
And I loved the sea as an companion.
If you face sand maybe jigamarig some gators so the sand does not end up in your boots.
It’s a lovley walk.
But inland you will face more up and downs? You knees may be telling you this.
I found the first couple of days so easy so I over did it 🤪 you may want to stick to your limit. Day after day it’s not getting easier. But day 7 or 8 soon you do not feel your backpack anymore and then its just great and you can experience so many things. If you getting tired just stop close your eyes and listen. Never heared so many diffrent sounds the wind can make. Oh so much fun!

in 2018 the boardwalks were easy enough.
And I loved the sea as an companion.
If you face sand maybe jigamarig some gators so the sand does not end up in your boots.
It’s a lovley walk.
But inland you will face more up and downs? You knees may be telling you this.
I found the first couple of days so easy so I over did it 🤪 you may want to stick to your limit. Day after day it’s not getting easier. But day 7 or 8 soon you do not feel your backpack anymore and then its just great and you can experience so many things. If you getting tired just stop close your eyes and listen. Never heared so many diffrent sounds the wind can make. Oh so much fun!
Thank you! We managed the hills from Esposende, so cannot imagine it could be worse than that 🤣(still need to look at Wise Pilgrim elevation maps). I did not bring gators, but if there are boardwalks, that is very reassuring! I was a little worried, from the Brierly description!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes I prefer the shoreline route as its very beautiful with fantastic coastal views ,flat and at times remote and peaceful. Leaving Viana is straightforward passing the Fort then picking up the Coastal path passing another Fort and isolated windmills. Then boardwalks between dunes. Careful after Carreço beach as the path gets narrower but hugs the coast with the hill Montedor to your right. This stretch is so beautiful and remote! You eventually pass another Fort (de Paço). Then there's a stretch walking along country lanes (or you can walk along the beaches but it's slower progress!) before back in a beautiful boardwalk after Insua beach passing through enchanting woodland to get to another Fort. Then for me the highlight the best stretch of boardwalk in the whole of northern Portugal as one side its high dunes and sea views the other woodland and mountain views see
Passadiços Forte do Cão - Âncora

Then after reaching end you walk the final stretch along the beach crossing a shallow river to reach centre of town of Praia de Áncora , a sensational end to the stage!

How was your walk today. Did you take the beach or the regular Coastal Route from Vila do Castelo?

My wife and I are in Carreço tonight. She has had leg surgery and has concerns. How was the beach route? Was there much walking on sand? Hopefully just boardwalks and sidewalk.

Trying to decide which way to go tomorrow to Caminha.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How was your walk today. Did you take the beach or the regular Coastal Route from Vila do Castelo?

My wife and I are in Carreço tonight. She has had leg surgery and has concerns. How was the beach route? Was there much walking on sand? Hopefully just boardwalks and sidewalk.

My recollection is that just past Carreço the beach path threads through a rocky area, which is very scenic but could pose problems for your wife. The main coastal route may be easier walking but I can't be sure because we did the beach walk. Perhaps you can get some guidance from people in Carreço?

My recollection is that just past Carreço the beach path threads through a rocky area, which is very scenic but could pose problems for your wife. The main coastal route may be easier walking but I can't be sure because we did the beach walk. Perhaps you can get some guidance from people in Carreço?
It was suggested here at the albergue, that we walk down toward the beach and make our own way along the coast, off the the beach.

Thanks for the response.

All, thank you for your thoughtful and informative replies, much appreciated!

We did take the Senda Litoral, and it was windswept and lovely coastline. Although I checked the weather in advance, there was a heavy wind from the north and that took some energy.

Alas, my Wise Pilgrim app (well, the map part) went belly up, so I was without a GPS (others are using Camino Ninja, which I downloaded tonight). We saw two faint yellow arrows near Viana de Castella, ended up on a stretch of N13, and asked some women with a fish cart and a police man, who pointed us the right direction. My fears about the path being covered by sand (per Brierley) were not warranted. There were two sections that had some sand over the boardwalk, but that part was fine...

HOWEVER, no arrows, just an *very occasional* stone sign with Litoral Norte. At one point (halfway?) the path past the Litoral Norte stone sign was overgrown and we had to take a detour on a cobblestone side road. All of this was on the faith that we were headed north (again, might have been better if we had a GPS app). We saw very few pilgrims after the halfway point, or many locals, either. We also ended up on a sandy trail around a bluff around Afife and I was sure it was wrong, but my husband kept swearing he saw footprints in the sand.

We planned a 9 mile day, but walked 13.5 miles (including a bit around VDC, trying to figureoout the way and what to do) Forgive me for not adding the km conversion...it was an exhausting day, after the previous route from Esposende!

We eventually saw an arrow before Vila Praia de Ancora, and laughed out loud.

If you decide to take this route, definitely take ample food and water! We saw a restaurant a bit before Vila Praia de Ancora, but that was it. There are no houses nearby and it is a bit of a trek to N13 ( I think that would be the bail out plan?)

This was the first day since Porto that I would call an adventure.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I am afraid I did not take good notes on when navigation got sketchy, but the last half of the route from Viana de Castela to Vila Praia de Ancora was definitely sketchy on navigation, at least without a GPS app (more details in my previous post).

Maybe we took a wrong turn and did not need to take a sandy path around a point, but at the time, it seemed to be the best option. There was no one around to ask and no pilgrims at that point, and only a couple arrows, way back in VDC!

We did finally come to a boardwalk before Vila Praia de Ancora (first arrows since Viana!!) There was a sandy path before that.

If you take the route, be sure to take food and water. I also suggest checking the weather. High winds will yield blowing sand.

My suggestion...if you have any issues and if your wife is recovering, I would take another option.

We have been walking from Porto and very much enjoying the walk next to the coast! We are in Viana do Castelo tonight and debating whether to take the Senda Litoral along the coast or inland Coastal route.

The Brierly description had me a bit concerned (about sand covering the route). Is it mostly boardwalks and roads from Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ancora?

I saw another post about being prepared (not a problem...always too prepared!)

Please excuse me if I cannot respond to posts until tomorrow. We set off tomorrow and will make a decision about route in the morn.

Many thanks in advance!
We ( my husband & me ) are in Santo Andrea, we went thru the sand piled over boardwalk, but nothing too serious & once past you still have the wonderful waterfront sights & sounds to enjoy... we'r even took off our shoes & walked along the shore refreshing our tired feet. enjoy! we're off again...
Marcy & Rob Downing~

Attachments

• 20220525_163651.jpg
    20220525_163651.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220525_153449.jpg
    20220525_153449.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220525_162302.jpg
    20220525_162302.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220525_200709.jpg
    20220525_200709.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
I just walked from Ancora to Moledo to Caminha to Seixas (new hostel) to Villa Nova de Cerveira to Valenca and so on.
End of Ancora Lidle store, for supplies
Molecdo take a coffee and watch the surf
Caminha across from the clock tower great creps across from there a small store with some turi stile kitchen towels hanging outside as well as clothing. They have a wide variety of table cloths and handcrafted needle work. They will send your stuff via DHL. Get water here. walk goes inside get water.
Seixas new hostel and next coffe stop.
Along the river beware the eco route it was very sticky.
V.N de Ceveira lovely little town with huge open air market busses come from Spain for it.
Tui well sorted sport store with everything you need or may have forgotten.
Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back