A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

senda litoral

odj

Camino(s) past & future
senda litoral
Hi folks
I am planning to walk from porto to baiona in may. im just wondering if anyone has walked along the coast and would they have any recommendations on where to stay along the route and distance between stop offs. many thanks. deirdre

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
There is a lot of beachfront activity in the summer, I don't know if it starts as early as May.
I stopped Fao at an albergue entering town, it was across the street from a fair restaurant. I might have been happier if I had walked a little father to Esposende, it was busier with more options. I would definitely recommend a rest day in Viana do Castelo, it is worth a trip on the funicular to Santa Lucia and town has some very good restaurants. Vila Praia de Ancora is a popular beach side resort with rows of sidewalk cafes. Caminha is where you catch the ferry to the other side of the Minha River. I caught it on the end of a weekend beer festival and the ferry was not running on Monday because it had operated all weekend long which leads me to beleive it may have a shortened weekend schedule. The town is very nice, so I had a day to find a laudromat and get my stuff cleaned and dried. Baiona is large with a very lively "old town" full of shops and restaurants. I would have visited the Fort but it was raining heavily the day I arrived.

Last edited:

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
Depends on how many kms per day Deirdre !

Porto to Matosinhos 10 kms
Matosinhos to Vila do Conde 20 kms
VdC to Esposende 23 kms
Esposende to Viana do Castelo 22 kms
VcD to Vila Praia de Âncora 18 kms
VPDA to Caminha 8kms ( to A Guarda by ferry 11 kms)
Caminha or A Guarda to Oia 15 or 12 kms
Oia to Baiona 18 kms

From Porto you could walk 23 kms to Angeiras and stay at the Orbitur camping t they have cabins for pilgrims. Very comfortable
Next could be Póvoa da Varzim in the albergue (5 kms further than Vila do conde)
Next you could stay in the albergue of Esposende
Then in Viana do Castelo in pensão Laranjeiro (very good ! Attention NOT hotel Laranjeiro !!!
Then Vila Praia de Âncora. We just rent a room in appartment Quim Barreiro via Booking .com or go to the tourist info. Many possibilities.
Or walk on to Caminho where is an albergue
Then take the ferry to A Guarda (take care for the tides if the ferry sails (lot of info about that item on this forum) and walk to Santa Maria de Oia where is a hotel or walk another 4 or 5 kms to Mougas where is an albergue.
In Baiona is no albergue but lots of rooms to rent
5 kms further on in Ramalhosa/Nigrán is an albergue
Bom caminho

Last edited:

MyDestinationGalicia

Mark Auchincloss
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno, June 2017,Portuguese Coastal Way x6
French Way Sarria x 5 ,Silver Way Ourense
Check out the Blog of Luis Freixo for all relevant info see www.caminador.es You can download his maps of each stage in pdf format.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2010), Portugues (2011), Promitivo (2013), VdlP (2014), Ingles (2016), Torres (2017)
Hi Deirdre, I recently wrote the following in a related thread.

We have just taken delivery of the latest edition of Camino Portugués de la Costa (2018/19), published by the Confraternity of St James in Britain. It covers the Coastal route and the Senda Litoral. We purchased it from the www.csj.org.uk

We are leaving Porto on May 22.

Liam

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%