• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

senda litoral

odj

Time of past OR future Camino
senda litoral
Hi folks
I am planning to walk from porto to baiona in may. im just wondering if anyone has walked along the coast and would they have any recommendations on where to stay along the route and distance between stop offs. many thanks. deirdre

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is a lot of beachfront activity in the summer, I don't know if it starts as early as May.
I stopped Fao at an albergue entering town, it was across the street from a fair restaurant. I might have been happier if I had walked a little father to Esposende, it was busier with more options. I would definitely recommend a rest day in Viana do Castelo, it is worth a trip on the funicular to Santa Lucia and town has some very good restaurants. Vila Praia de Ancora is a popular beach side resort with rows of sidewalk cafes. Caminha is where you catch the ferry to the other side of the Minha River. I caught it on the end of a weekend beer festival and the ferry was not running on Monday because it had operated all weekend long which leads me to beleive it may have a shortened weekend schedule. The town is very nice, so I had a day to find a laudromat and get my stuff cleaned and dried. Baiona is large with a very lively "old town" full of shops and restaurants. I would have visited the Fort but it was raining heavily the day I arrived.

Last edited:
Depends on how many kms per day Deirdre !

Porto to Matosinhos 10 kms
Matosinhos to Vila do Conde 20 kms
VdC to Esposende 23 kms
Esposende to Viana do Castelo 22 kms
VcD to Vila Praia de Âncora 18 kms
VPDA to Caminha 8kms ( to A Guarda by ferry 11 kms)
Caminha or A Guarda to Oia 15 or 12 kms
Oia to Baiona 18 kms

From Porto you could walk 23 kms to Angeiras and stay at the Orbitur camping t they have cabins for pilgrims. Very comfortable
Next could be Póvoa da Varzim in the albergue (5 kms further than Vila do conde)
Next you could stay in the albergue of Esposende
Then in Viana do Castelo in pensão Laranjeiro (very good ! Attention NOT hotel Laranjeiro !!!
Then Vila Praia de Âncora. We just rent a room in appartment Quim Barreiro via Booking .com or go to the tourist info. Many possibilities.
Or walk on to Caminho where is an albergue
Then take the ferry to A Guarda (take care for the tides if the ferry sails (lot of info about that item on this forum) and walk to Santa Maria de Oia where is a hotel or walk another 4 or 5 kms to Mougas where is an albergue.
In Baiona is no albergue but lots of rooms to rent
5 kms further on in Ramalhosa/Nigrán is an albergue
Bom caminho

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Deirdre, I recently wrote the following in a related thread.

We have just taken delivery of the latest edition of Camino Portugués de la Costa (2018/19), published by the Confraternity of St James in Britain. It covers the Coastal route and the Senda Litoral. We purchased it from the www.csj.org.uk

We are leaving Porto on May 22.

Liam

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The La Cala Inn in Oia (https://www.facebook.com/lacalainn/) would be a nice place to stop north of A Guarda, since it offers a great view of the Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Oia. The town itself is perched on a scenic stretch of the coast with quaint cafes in the old quarter.

Hello, we are planning to walk the Senda litoral in September next year. Does anyone know if the public albergues will be open then? Because I see most of them are temporarily closed now. Is it becuse of the Covid situation? Or is it normal to be closed during winter season? We are on a tight budget, so expensive accomodation aren't so good option for us. Thank you.

The La Cala Inn in Oia (https://www.facebook.com/lacalainn/) would be a nice place to stop north of A Guarda, since it offers a great view of the Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Oia. The town itself is perched on a scenic stretch of the coast with quaint cafes in the old quarter.
I stayed at La Cala last week! Tanya, the owner, is an American Camino veteran and her place is very clean and extremely well-equipped. One note is that as of last week there weren’t any restaurants still open for the season, but there is a small grocery store. The kitchen at La Cala will have everything you need to cook. There’s also a group of English-speaking expats there who are incredibly fun to hang out with for a few beers by the harbor.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are recommending it for @Kadifa they aren't leaving until next September.
I was not replying to Kadifa, I was just amplifying what @kenwilltravel said about La Cala, but maybe that info will be helpful for someone else who wants to stay in Oia out of season.

I’m very new to these forums, and assumed any added info was welcome.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back