• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending a bag from Lisbon to Santiago

JoanneK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Part in April 2011
Frances April 2014
Camino Portuguese (Oct 2015)
Has anyone information on sending a bag to Santiago from Lisbon? I am especially keen to find out the name of a courier company that might do this? We are travelling in Spain after walking the Camino Portugues and will need things other than our walking gear. Thanks for your help. Joanne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An easy option is to go to the post office and send to Ivar here on the site - for instructions, go to Camino Resources (top of page) then select Ivar from LHS, and '
Ship things ahead to Santiago, I will store it for 60 days (or more)’

We used Ivar service last year, Really good. We would recommend it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An easy option is to go to the post office and send to Ivar here on the site - for instructions, go to Camino Resources (top of page) then select Ivar from LHS, and '
Ship things ahead to Santiago, I will store it for 60 days (or more)’
Thanks - I've been in touch with Ivar and will get the bags sent to him for storage. I suppose we were wondering if there were any other options than using the postal service - which in some countries is not particularly reliable. We'll just have to trust that the bags will get there I think!

Thanks - I've been in touch with Ivar and will get the bags sent to him for storage. I suppose we were wondering if there were any other options than using the postal service - which in some countries is not particularly reliable. We'll just have to trust that the bags will get there I think!

Hi, Joanne,
You could use a shipping company. I spent an academic year in Lisbon a few years ago and we had stuff shipped home with DHL, which seems to be the most popular shipping company in Europe, more than Fed Ex or UPS (though I have had things shipped to me in Portugal via UPS, so I'm sure they have offices there, too).

http://www.dhl.pt/pt/country_profile/localizacoes_dhl_express.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Joanne K, I've used the Portuguese postal service to send my extra travelling cloths to Ivar on both occasions when I walked from Porto without any problems and found the workers at the post office very helpful.
Bom Camino
Vasco

Joanne K, I've used the Portuguese postal service to send my extra travelling cloths to Ivar on both occasions when I walked from Porto without any problems and found the workers at the post office very helpful.
Bom Camino
Vasco

Good to know, Vasco. It sounds like the problems Ivar reported were only with people who used the Portuguese postal service to mail things to general delivery at the Santiago Post Office. It suggests that people sending stuff to Santiago from Portugal should send them to Ivar! Bom caminho, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bom Camino
Vasco
Thanks Vasco. Your recent good experience with the postal service on the Portuguese Camino makes me lean towards that option. Joanne

How much more or less would it cost to send a 20 kg suitcase from Lisbon to Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back