• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending a small suitcase from Ponferrada to Santiago

anniechappel

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2012
I am travelling from Australia in September 2012 to walk the Camino Frances for 10-12 days. I will start in Ponferrada BUT I will have another suitcase - a small one about 12 kgs in weight apart from my backpack. Can i post the actual suitcase to Santiago poste restante? I see there is lots of info on posting boxes at the post office but what about a suitcase? Help would be appreciated! thanks Anne

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Anne,
This is NO problem; I've done it every time I've walked the Camino. When you arrive in Ponferrada, go to the Correos, or post office. I'm guessing you will be coming in by bus? The info desk at the station can give you a map and show you where the Correos is. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the station, close to the old center of town.

At the Correos you will need to first buy a 'Caja Verde' (green box), the supre grande size. The box will cost about €3. Ask for 'sello', which is tape, and you can then assemble the box and drop you suitcase inside. The box measures 590 x 390 x 390 mm, so you can check to be sure your suitcase will fit - I put a large wheeled duffel bag in one once, no problem. The max weight allowed is 20 kg.

Once the box is loaded and sealed, address it as follows:

LAST NAME, first name, Peregina
Listo de Correos
Santiago de Compostela, 15780
(verify the postal code)

Also, write this same information as the return address. The next step is to get a number for the 'Enviar' line, which means 'to send.' The ticket machine will be near the front door of the Correos. At the Enviar desk you will heft the box up onto the counter, have it weighed, and pay for the shipping (around €10). The clerk will give you the shipping form to complete; be sure to keep your copy, as you will need to present it with your passport when you claim your box in Santiago.

The Correos in Santiago will hold the box for two weeks, no charge. That should give you enough time to make your walk.

Another option is to send it to The Pilgrim Helper at Pension Badalada, http://www.badalada.es. They will hold your box until you arrive for €25.

For this option, address the box as follows and follow instructions above:

Pension Badalada
ATT: [Your name here]
Rua Xelmírez, 3
15704 Santiago de Compostela

Hope that helps! Buen Camino!!!

Nancy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There are different sizes of boxes:

Small box 230 x 140 x 80 mm

Medium Box 317 x 215 x 125 mm

Large box 390 x 280 x 190 mm

Extra large box 590 x 390 x 390 mm

If sending to the Pension Badalada the actual address is:

BADALADA :: Pensión
Rúa Xelmírez 30, 15704
Santiago de Compostela

Contact details:

Telf.: 981 572 618
Móvil: 619 052 224
info@badalada.es

Johnniewalker, thanks for the correction on the address! I did a copy/paste from another post on that...wonder if I can find it again...

Nancy

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back