• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sending ahead clothes to come home in

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I will be checking a bag as there are things I want to take that require it - like scissors or a knife.

since there will already be a bag, I am thinking about packing a pair of jeans, sweater and fresh shoes for the trip home, something I could send to Ivar upon my arrival and pick up on arrival in Santiago. The duffle I put those things in could go too.
gee maybe even a skirt!
any thoughts about this?
and where could I ship from? the CDG airport or from SJPdP??
nanc

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wouldn't send any shoes! I know that after even a week's walking I can't wear my regular work shoes for several days - and there are lots and lots of nice shoe shops in Santiago.

If you are a generously-sized person, you may have problems finding clothes that fit you in many smaller Spanish towns, but the Corte Ingles chain does sell what my Spanish friends euphemistically called "American sizes" when I lived there. It was the only place I could find jeans that were long enough, and I'm not particularly tall for a Viking....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be checking a bag as there are things I want to take that require it - like scissors or a knife.

since there will already be a bag, I am thinking about packing a pair of jeans, sweater and fresh shoes for the trip home, something I could send to Ivar upon my arrival and pick up on arrival in Santiago. The duffle I put those things in could go too.
gee maybe even a skirt!
any thoughts about this?
nanc

Hi, Nanc,
I think you'll find that shipping from France to Spain is an expensive proposition, but there are post offices in CDG. http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/en/passengers/services/money-mails-health/post-office
I've never been to a post office in SJPP but I know many people who have, so there is certainly one there as well.

You may find that it's cheaper and easier to just carry everything on the plane and buy a small knife (Swiss army knives have models with small scissors inside) on arrival in SJPP.

Buen camino, Laurie

As Laurie said there is certainly a Bureau de la Poste in SJPdP. It is on the rue de La Poste which you pass walking from the rr station up to rue de La Citadelle and the CF. See more and a map HERE.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Send stuff ahead to Ivar. See "Services in Santiago by Ivar" here. I do it all the time. In fact, I do it so much when on Camino, that I am a charter member of his "Frequent Idiots Club." I typically send 50% (weight wise) of what I originally start with to him. I was embarrassing at first, but after several Caminos, we both just laugh it off. All in all, he provides the best value for service in this regard.

I agree about not sending street-size shoes. Your feet will swell and splay from weeks of walking with a rucksack and your old street shoes will not fit for several weeks or more. Either wear your off-time sandals/Crocs, etc, or buy a new pair of suitable footwear in one of the hundreds of shops in either the ancient center or the new town part of Santiago. Spain has a HUGE leather and shoe making history and industry. The styles, and value for money are fabulous. You get Italian design and construction for Asian prices. Woman can make a killing at this sort of shopping. And DO make a point to visit El Corte Ingles...

As for the knife, last year I carried-on board through TSA inspection, a Gerber Dime "Travel" multi-tool. It weighs 2.2 ounces, and has pliers, scissors, openers, screwdrivers, and a box opener...everything BUT a knife blade. Gerber designed this specifically to satisfy TSA requirements. See this link: http://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/Butterfly-Opening/dime-travel_31-002777

My logic is that everyone around me will have a folding knife. All I have to do is ask. This tool does 99 percent of what my Camino needs have been to date. Besides, if the need for a straight blade exists, I can buy a suitable basic knife inexpensively almost anywhere, and dispose of it before flying home, or including it in checked luggage.

I hope this helps.

Once you finish. you'll wonder why on earth you ever thought you needed all those clothes you own.

gee maybe even a skirt!
any thoughts about this?
nanc

NO, Don't send them home! In 2013 we were on the Camino Frances and by the time we got to Pamplona we realized that we were carrying far too much. We put our clothes and items in a box and sent them home. What a mistake!! We might as well have donated them or thrown everything away. We paid about what the items would have cost new by mailing them home! Send them to Ivar in SJPdP. My lesson was a lesson well learned.....the hard way..Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have to agree with Kanga - the shoes in Spain are gorgeous and (for us Kiwis anyway) very well priced and great quality. I always take home several pairs. A self-confessed shoe-lover. ;)

I was so glad that I had sent fresh clothes and running shoes ( which still fit) to Santiago. My campanion did not and was definitely envious. I didn't want to spend time shopping for clothes. Not sure if I handled it the best way, but I just used the bag transport service until Pamplona where I sent it on to Ivar. He even delivered it to my hotel in Santiago before I arrived. It worked beautifully. I will say that if you plan on using the postal service (Correos) it must fit into one of their boxes. My bag did not and they wouldn't let me mail it. I called JacoTrans and arranged to have it taken all the way to Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back