• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending backpack on to next stage...

Grandma

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances and Camino Ingles (both future)
I'm planning to do my first Camino next May - if I find carrying my rucksack too arduous what is the procedure for sending it on ahead to my next overnight stop?
Also, would I be advised to carry a mobile phone that has a Spanish SIM card?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There will be plenty of advertisement in the albergues and on the way regarding that. Don't worry, the luggage transport will find you ;-)

SIM - Card, if you are coming from outside the EU an unlocked phone with a Spanish SIM card will be good, if you are coming from inside the EU - roaming charges are about to disappear, so it might not be worth it.

Buen Camino, SY

Ok thanks, will keep a lookout re roaming charges then - also what is the average cost of sending luggage ahead ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Around 4-5 Euros/stage on the CF if memory serves right. Buen Camino, SY

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I paid 7€ but the closer you get to Santiago the cheaper it becomes 5€ or6€.It's easy to arrange on a day to day basis just ask at the albergues or hotels where you stay.

Wishful thinking, those are 2012 prices These days 7€ a day is more like it, or more than most will give for a bed in a donativo. Something wrong with this picture? ;0(

Also, if using luggage transport, keep in mind this is a great way to catch and pass on bed bugs. Spray your bag with permethryn before leaving home and/or put it in a large garbage back so it does. Ot come in contact with other bags.

Wishful thinking, those are 2012 prices These days 7€ a day is more like it, or more than most will give for a bed in a donativo. Something wrong with this picture? ;0(

Also, if using luggage transport, keep in mind this is a great way to catch and pass on bed bugs. Spray your bag with permethryn before leaving home and/or put it in a large garbage back so it does. Ot come in contact with other bags.
Can we send a suitcase or backpack from Sarria direct through to Santiago?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yup. It's quite likely the same driver is doing the Sarria-Santiago route back and forth daily. Ask for the price for the full distance and depending on the size of parcel. Then make arrangements regarding where and when you will pick it up. Could be a hotel where you will be staying, have booked, and discussed this before hand.

You could also mail it through the Spanish post office to Ivar's luggage service. (at least I think you can use the mail)...check out the link above "services in Santiago by Ivar" and it explains how to do it

here is the link for Correos (I didn't use their bag service but I did mail packages ahead to myself every 7-10days for 3 months and it was wonderful)
http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/transporte-mochilas.php

cost is 5Euro a bag for a step, or 4 Euro a bag for 5 or more steps....I find that reasonable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Be careful with Correos! My pack got stolen in Portomarin this summer before someone could pick it up! Some albergues have a common area pilgrims leave their bags to be picked up in- be careful!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Bag transport charges: in 2014 I paid 7€ on a day to day arrangement between Burgos and Leon. Between Leon and Sarria in 2015 7€ sometimes 5€ per bag per day. 2016 it varied but generally 6€ sometimes 7€ and sometimes 3€. on the route between Sarria and Finisterre. My travels ended in October 2016 so these are recent prices.

No hitches and thankfully no bed bugs.

Hola SY - thanks for this link it provides most of the info I was seeking. I have used the service to transport a bag from Pamplona to Santiago (to Ivar) but I will need to get one moved from St Jean to Pamplona, does the link provide information I need? Cheers

Hola SY - thanks for this link it provides most of the info I was seeking. I have used the service to transport a bag from Pamplona to Santiago (to Ivar) but I will need to get one moved from St Jean to Pamplona, does the link provide information I need? Cheers

Mike,

Correos is a fine service but only works within Spain. You need another transport for SJPdP, France to Pamplona, Spain.
Try Express Bourricot.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/

Be careful with Correos! My pack got stolen in Portomarin this summer before someone could pick it up! Some albergues have a common area pilgrims leave their bags to be picked up in- be careful!
Correos means the Spanish postal service. That means that the parcel has to be collected at the postoffice that you indicated when sent it.
I think you mean the bag transport service ( where your backpack, or whatever, is transported from one Albergue to another)!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Correos means the Spanish postal service. That means that the parcel has to be collected at the postoffice that you indicated when sent it.
I think you mean the bag transport service ( where your backpack, or whatever, is transported from one Albergue to another)!
Nope! Correos has a bag service! I had to call them multiple times about it haha!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know about travel insurance (always best to check with whatever you choose)... but I wouldn't put/leave anything valuable in a bag left for pick-up...only things that can be replaced, like clothes, bag, towel, etc....money, electronics, passport, etc should be with you, jewelry (minus wedding ring) should be at home, etc....of that the only thing (possibly two things) of any cost to replace would be the pack and the sleeping bag, and I bet those would not rise above any deductible amount on insurance. alternatively, you could get a cheap lightweight duffel type sack, empty your sleeping bag, etc into there to send by correos, and wear the pack. then it really decreases possible loss, and the likelihood it looks attractive enough to steal

edit: I see two bonuses to using a cheap bag: one, if it's plastic it may cut down on any possible contamination of bed bugs (though I think that is not likely anyway); two, as you walk easily along with your pack, now weighing a pound or two filled only with your jacket and lunch, you will look like a superwoman.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok thanks, will keep a lookout re roaming charges then - also what is the average cost of sending luggage ahead ?

This can happen with any mochila service, not just Correos.
we used mochila delivery for 30 days. we had one vendor switch tags and steal the 5 euros. long story short- we got our bag back, thanks to the police and our delivery service. You do take a risk as you may need to leave your bag in a common area. The culprit took our bag from the lobby of a hostal. he dropped it in a hostal/alburgue that we had not planned to use. thanks to the local police for helping sort this out. We did not use a Spanish SIM. Came from the USA with a voice plan . Free WIFI is just about everywhere. our plan cost us a extra $80 for 2 months

I would agree free Wifi available nearly everywhere and there's no need to change your Sim card unless you are going to make endless phone calls.

I don't know about travel insurance (always best to check with whatever you choose)... but I wouldn't put/leave anything valuable in a bag left for pick-up...only things that can be replaced, like clothes, bag, towel, etc....money, electronics, passport, etc should be with you, jewelry (minus wedding ring) should be at home, etc....of that the only thing (possibly two things) of any cost to replace would be the pack and the sleeping bag, and I bet those would not rise above any deductible amount on insurance. alternatively, you could get a cheap lightweight duffel type sack, empty your sleeping bag, etc into there to send by correos, and wear the pack. then it really decreases possible loss, and the likelihood it looks attractive enough to steal

edit: I see two bonuses to using a cheap bag: one, if it's plastic it may cut down on any possible contamination of bed bugs (though I think that is not likely anyway); two, as you walk easily along with your pack, now weighing a pound or two filled only with your jacket and lunch, you will look like a superwoman.

Hahaha! Thanks, that all makes so much sense, I shall definitely follow your advice!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mike,

Correos is a fine service but only works within Spain. You need another transport for SJPdP, France to Pamplona, Spain.
Try Express Bourricot.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/
Thanks MS - the Bourricot page indicates they will send the bag all the way to Santiago - so I can spend my rest day in St Jean doing my fine tuning packing and then send the extra one direct to Ivar. Cheers

I used paqmochila con correos for 15 stages in october. I payed in a postoffice and got an envelope to tag to my bag and put the receit inside.Then I mailed my pick up and deliver list to correos and called ( to Santiago) and talked with an Englishspeaking guy to be sure that they had my list.
If you don't know where to stay each night you have to mail or call each day between 15pm and 21.
For me it worked out quite well. My little bag was picked up every morning , most places before I left the hostal at 08.30.
When you sign the deal with correos, and I guess with other transporters too, you accept that nor the hosts at the places you stay or correos are responsible for the mochila when you leave it in the hotel.
I noticed that some places you only left it there for anyone to pick it up, but some places the bag was taken care of and placed in a protected
area. So I was a bit surprised to find it every day on arrival.
I wanted to try this out, and brought a small bag in which I only left things I could manage without, and carried most in my backpack that was a bit less heavy than it used to be.
Correos did well and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Have used Correos bag transport last two years. Never a problem and always a timely deliver. You should consider that what they consider 'stages' may be less than you think as they assume a certain number of days from start to finish. In case you are a slow walker then you'll end up paying less. So book their services from A to B and see how much they charge you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm planning to do my first Camino next May - if I find carrying my rucksack too arduous what is the procedure for sending it on ahead to my next overnight stop?
Hi
I just finished my first Camino France's and used a company called www. caminofacil.net which charged €5 per stop up to 30km. It was just the most brilliant service as you register online with this company and then every night before 8pm, go online and from their drop down menu, choose the pickup and destination accommodation. They have all the Camino towns and villages set up on the drop down and all the alberques and hotels named there too. Fantastic service was provided with no problems throughout. I would recommend 100% as a highly professional and efficient service. Kindest regards and enjoy!

I didn't use this service but others I walked with did .

Be aware in some villages the bags are left at a bar not the albergue ... I am not sure why ....
and as others have said anything valuable stays with you at all times

I stayed in pensions and hotels - and every evening found my bag in my room. So as I said , 100% review for caminofacil from me

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You mentioned that you find your rucksack too arduous. I saw a lot of people on the Camino that felt the same way. The reason is the backpack is the wrong size, overloaded or improperly adjusted. It’s really painful looking a people straining with their backpacks for these reasons. A modern backpack should not be a pain. I suggest you go back to the store you purchased your rucksack and have it correctly adjusted. You need about 30 to 38 litre capacity with a load limit of 20 lbs.

The weight you are carrying on your hip belt will require more strength to move it up hill and it will put a bit more pressure on your feet. Get in shape. Put some weight in your pack and take it for a long walk up and down hills. Regardless of how old you are - there is no reason one cannot move a 20lb weight up a hill in a properly fitted backpack.

It’s interesting how people want to deal with the Camino on their terms using the internet and a credit card. I wonder what advice they pass onto their friends when they return. “Here’s a few links for Taxi and bag pickup services”

I think you will get a far better sense of accomplishment having carried your pack all the way.

I believe the OP is planning on carrying her pack but said "in case"...I agree with some points and definitely disagree with others in your post. I agree that some have ill-fitted, or wrong sized (meaning for their torso, not capacity, except those who are carrying too small packs with dangling bits--they have the wrong capacity), or over packed packs (again usually those with too small capacity). That said, you can't possibly know what pack capacity she needs and as many have stated above, people have many different reasons for many different sizes.

There are absolutely some people who should not be climbing up and down inclines with 20 pounds in a pack for 15-25 miles a day for 30 days--i say this with a medical degree behind my statement. There are also some who just don't want to carry a pack. That is also totally fine. No one here is King of the Camino...for what must be the tenth time I once again say, God is not weighing your pack, or caring if you carry one. He cares about what is in your heart, and I don't see much mercy on this forum for anyone who chooses to do something that is different than what some people choose.

you don't want to go online, or use a credit card...good for you, I'm sure you're are happy with your decision. but that doesn't mean no one else should---neither is better than the other. Neither is the 'right' way. You want to carry your pack--fine, but I"m pretty sure in my life I"ve carried a lot more packs a lot more distance than you have, and I am unimpressed with people who consider it an accomplishment.

I laugh when people comment on carrying packs, like it is a requirement, when early pilgrims didn't if they had an option. I laugh about comments about the internet, yet packs are high tech, clothes, shoes...no one is walking in handmade sandals and rough hand-sewn cotton or leather clothing. Some of the most religiously motivated pilgrims I met were in a group and not carrying packs; and I saw a lot of walkers with their own packs drinking and hooking up in a month long party designed to show what men they were.

Last edited:
Well said. Age, medical reasons, injury etc are just a few reasons why some are not so able to carry their rucksack.

Municipal albergues don't accept forwarded backpacks. Some will refuse you bed if you not carrying bags. Happened to friends of mine on Portuguese section in October this year.

as gaillimh makes an excellent point, so if forwarding a pack you may want to plan on a bed at a private albergue or pension; the municipal and parochial albergues often will not admit walkers using pack transport. Luckily thereis usually other lodging in town that does. Also, private albergues and pensions often allow prebooked rooms, or private rooms, which the municipal and parochial ones do not. Gronze and eroski show which are which, and if prebooking is allowed...if the notes on the lodging says it is not exclusively for pilgrims then they won't care if you use a pack service. I don't know of any private albergues that would turn away someone for using a service, even if they say they are only for pilgrims, but it would be safest to check in advance (the place where you stay the night before should be able to help with checking).

Well said. Age, medical reasons, injury etc are just a few reasons why some are not so able to carry their rucksack.
I think when people say a pack must (or should) be carried they are lucky...neither they nor anyone close to them has a condition that would make it impossible. And I also feel that even those without a 'medical reason' are entitled to use a service if they choose--it helps the local economy, there is no requirement to carry a pack, if it's not what they want to do then don't...
For me, I am more impressed when I see someone walking (and if need be, using intermittent transport) despite age or injury, or doing something alone for the first time, or recovery from cancer, or having not recovered from cancer, or fighting internal struggles and addictions each day, recovering from abuse....so many truly impressive acts I saw in my three months that had nothing to do with miles logged on ones sneakers nor how much was carried.

I did my first CF in September and just bought an 'add on' package from my phone provider (three.co.uk) for £25; this gave me unlimited phone, texts, and data for 30 days in France and Spain. I imagine other phone companies will be competitive.

Thin is better. I guess some people like to stuff as much cushioning into their shoes as possible. This only leads to more motion within the shoe as your foot continuously compresses the sock. Unnecessary motion leads to blisters. I strongly recommend staying away from wool and cotton. Wool's fibers don't have the strength to hold together over long distances. You'll find the bottom of your sock thinned out and a coarse and painful waffle pattern developing on your foot. Purely synthetic socks have a greater fiber strength and hold together over the long distances.

The only purpose socks provide, besides warmth, is a layer of protection from seems in your shoe. If you need thicker socks to provide more comfort from the shoe seems - I would recommend you buying a better pair of shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I shipped a large suitcase from Sarria to Santiago. In May 2015. I had taken a cruise from Miami to Barcelona and needed different clothes than what was needed on the Camino. I sent it to Ivar and he sent an email confirming arrival. I left it at a bar in Sarria, and it arrived in 3 days. Transporting the bag cost 12 euros and Ivar charged 25 euros. I was pleased with the service and the cost.

Storage at the airport:

Left luggage
In order to hire this service you must first go to the information desck on floor 1. The left luggage is located on the 4th basement floor (-4) of the general car park. It has medium-sized lockers. The rate is €5.80 for a full or partial day.

I believe the OP is planning on carrying her pack but said "in case"...I agree with some points and definitely disagree with others in your post. I agree that some have ill-fitted, or wrong sized (meaning for their torso, not capacity, except those who are carrying too small packs with dangling bits--they have the wrong capacity), or over packed packs (again usually those with too small capacity). That said, you can't possibly know what pack capacity she needs and as many have stated above, people have many different reasons for many different sizes.

There are absolutely some people who should not be climbing up and down inclines with 20 pounds in a pack for 15-25 miles a day for 30 days--i say this with a medical degree behind my statement. There are also some who just don't want to carry a pack. That is also totally fine. No one here is King of the Camino...for what must be the tenth time I once again say, God is not weighing your pack, or caring if you carry one. He cares about what is in your heart, and I don't see much mercy on this forum for anyone who chooses to do something that is different than what some people choose.

you don't want to go online, or use a credit card...good for you, I'm sure you're are happy with your decision. but that doesn't mean no one else should---neither is better than the other. Neither is the 'right' way. You want to carry your pack--fine, but I"m pretty sure in my life I"ve carried a lot more packs a lot more distance than you have, and I am unimpressed with people who consider it an accomplishment.

I laugh when people comment on carrying packs, like it is a requirement, when early pilgrims didn't if they had an option. I laugh about comments about the internet, yet packs are high tech, clothes, shoes...no one is walking in handmade sandals and rough hand-sewn cotton or leather clothing. Some of the most religiously motivated pilgrims I met were in a group and not carrying packs; and I saw a lot of walkers with their own packs drinking and hooking up in a month long party designed to show what men they were.
Thankyou I appreciate and wholeheartedly agree with your comments - I have of course chosen my rucksack very carefully and considered various possibilities and with help and advice from the personal assistant in the store I finally bought it, I found a super rucksack which is the correct size for my torso and has the capacity to hold the maximum 5k I plan to carry (have done several practice runs at packing the things I wish to take!) and it is very comfortable.
As I stated in my first post, this will be my first Camino and in many ways I shall be encountering the unknown - I'm very excited and full of hopeful anticipation, I think though wise enough to consider ways to minimise risk of the adventure being adversely affected unnecessarily .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a side note if you get to Madrid after your Camino go to the Museo Nacional Del Prado. You will find some incredible paintings from the 10 century forward of pilgrims on the Camino. Many of the paintings you can get a print. It shows some in starvation no bags, no shoes, just faith carries them.
Keith

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back