• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending bags again

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
i am trying to be in a centered state of mind about my expectations of myself. Accepting my limitations and lack of control of most things on a Camino, I have been working on the mind set that SdC might be the goal but the journey will be what ever unfolds in my body and the path.
As those "live" have shared of their adjustments on the Camino, the solution sometimes is to send a pack forward..

Haven't you guys said that albergues give preference to those walking in with their pack and could bump a peregrine who transported? (Or a bicyclist)
Is this no longer an issue?
Others have said they send their pack ahead if running late to "hold" their spot. So this would apparently be the day of, so are you really arranging a bag pick up mid way?
Just questions
Nanc

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No arrangements midday: the van does the run once a day, in the morning.

No sending bags to munis to hold your spot either.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many private albergues allow you now to reserve a bed which you have to do independently from sending your pack to them. So, you first would need to reserve your bed and then tell your transport company where to deliver your pack to.

You can send your pack to an albergue that doesn't allow reservations BUT that doesn't mean they will hold a bed for you.

Buen Camino, SY

Also be aware that if sending a pack forward, the transport is usually booked the night before and the bag normally needs to be ready for collection at 8 or 9 am.

So it's not really a 'spur of the moment' type of thing.

There may be odd exceptions such as locations that get dozens of bags picked up everyday where the staff may just say 'add yours to the pile'. Suitably tagged and paid for of course.

You will not have a problem if you pre-book private albergues or hostals, in stead of relying on municipal or public albergues. I find that www.booking. com is very good at everything from five-star paradors to one-star hostals and private albergues. Note, many private albergues actually have limited private rooms you can pre-book.

As my ability to walk long distances with a heavy pack is diminishing for health and age reasons, I will be looking into this modus-operandi for future Caminos. I've finished three full Caminos, and had to quit at Sarria this year for these reasons. However, I WILL adapt and overcome.

Mochila transport services are one, viable adaptation method. I do not criticize anyone who is compelled to use this assistance to accomplish their Camino. Know that, if you use this service every night, you can transport a conventional piece of luggage, like a carry-on size rolling suitcase. The "mochila" does not have to be an actual backpack. I see them all the time. You walk with a smaller <30 liter day pack.

This might make packing easier for many folks and increase your comfort level with special items or diet foods being sent ahead by the service. I must supplement my diet using protein powder daily. A weeks worth weighs about one kilo. A month is four kilos, or nearly nine pounds. See my point?

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.