• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending case from SJPP to Santiago (via Pamplona!)

gypsy9

Hello all,

I am trying to track down a very useful post I read (alas, to no avail), and thus am creating my own.

I am arriving in Paris with one case and one "Camino" backpack.
Obviously, I wish to send this case onto Santiago (Yes, I have the address for Pension Badalada).

I understand that international postal rates are very expensive and pilgrims advize to post luggage from within Spain. (ie not all the way from SJPP to Santiago).
Firstly, is there a post office in SJPP?
As I am beginning my journey in SJPP, is it best to post from this town to the first post office in Spain which is in Pamplona?
Do I address this large box to myself c/o the Pamplona Postal Service (will look up correct Spanish spelling)
Or is it best to decide upon a hostel in Pamplona and send this box to that address?

Any advice is greatly appreicated.
Gracias!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are companies that will "taxi" your bag along the way. I advise doing this from SJPdP to Pamplona (this is the next biggest city with a large post office) and then post your bags from there to Santiago de Compostela. It costs a lot to ship from France to Spain, but within Spain, not as much. That was my experience doing it both ways.....

A reply! At last!
Thank you so much renegade.
I shall be on the lookout for a co. to "taxi" my case (to the P.O @ Pamplona and then post my case from there)....hmmm, methinks this shall be the plan....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just make sure you arrive in Pamplona on a day that the post office is open and at a time when they are open. The correo is within walking distance of the main albergue in Pamplona. There are signs everywhere in SJPdP for baggage service and if you don't find any there, ask at the albergue or hotel you stay at before you leave. You will need to know when you are arriving in Pamplona and where you are staying though, so the baggage service knows where to drop off your bag. Hope that helps.

yes, that helps for sure.
Thank you!
I am so excited now...9 weeks until I take my first "step"
(yeah, I know....the journey has already begun)

Some observations:
1. There is a post office in SJPdP. You pass it on the way into the town center from the train station. It's on the right.
2. The cost of mailing from there to Pamplona and then remailing to Santiago would be more than mailing direct to Santiago.
3. The cost differential will be largely offset by the cost of having the item transported to Pamplona, especially when you consider the time and effort involved in finding a shipper, claiming the item in Pamplona and going to the post office there. In the end you may end up saving at most a few €.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for your thoughts Jeff,
I am under the impression that the cost for international shipping from France (SJPP) to Santiago is very high. My extra luggage (large box) will definitely be needed for further traveling, and so I am willing to make the extra effort to resend from Pamplona. I shall look into the cost from the SJPP post office though.

Jeff, I shipped a SMALL box from Paris to SDC and it was 26 Euros. I shipped another box from Pamplona to SDC that was LARGE (and much heavier) and I paid less than 12 Euros. That's a big difference to me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back