• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending excess luggage from Bilbao to PL Reina

rgutena

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Via Gebennensis?
Hi All - I am looking to send some excess luggage from Bilbao to my albergue in Puente la Reina (who has agreed to store the luggage for me until my arrival). Do I assume correctly that the best way of sending luggage is by using the Correos?

The only thing is that the Correos website seems to indicate that they only send luggage to another branch of Correos, rather than to your accommodation. Does anyone know of any reliable transport company that delivers luggage directly to your intended accommodation?

If not, the Correos office in Puente la Reina (Calle Cortes de Navarra, 1, 31100 Puente la Reina) seems to be almost on the Camino, and therefore shouldn’t be a big deal if I have to pick up the luggage myself on my way to my albergue. Or does it seem too easy to be true?

Also, any extra tips on sending luggage from Bilbao specifically, or any warnings about sending luggage in this way, would be particularly appreciated!

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Puente La Reina is a small villiage. Getting to the Correos will not be a problem.

Hi!
The best way is go to Correos. Get the box "Paquete azul" midium size 9,50€ or big size 11,20€ prices include the transport to any place in Spain. Put your things inside, write the adress of the albergue and send it. Very easy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi!
The best way is go to Correos. Get the box "Paquete azul" midium size 9,50€ or big size 11,20€ prices include the transport to any place in Spain. Put your things inside, write the adress of the albergue and send it. Very easy.

Great advice! Does it mean albergues are accustomed to receiving packages like this? I was initially concerned that, even though my albergue has been forewarned, the parcel when it arrives may look too much like an unsolicited package with a bomb, drugs etc. If I send my things in a suitcase (cabin size), even though it is too big for what I have, it will at least be immediately apparent that it is excess luggage for a pilgrim? But maybe it is the suitcases that can only be sent to another branch of the Correos and not to specific addresses?

Great advice! Does it mean albergues are accustomed to receiving packages like this? I was initially concerned that, even though my albergue has been forewarned, the parcel when it arrives may look too much like an unsolicited package with a bomb, drugs etc. If I send my things in a suitcase (cabin size), even though it is too big for what I have, it will at least be immediately apparent that it is excess luggage for a pilgrim? But maybe it is the suitcases that can only be sent to another branch of the Correos and not to specific addresses?

When you said excess luggage, I thought of a sweater and a pair of t-shirts. Not in a suitcase... That's because I told you "get the box paquete azul and set your things inside". If you send a suitcase, maybe you dont need a box, and you can send it as a normal package... I'm not familiar with all the rules of mailing.

If as you said, you are in contact with the albergue, and they are agreed to store your suitcase, I can't see any problem to do it this way. Because obviously they know that you will send a package to the albergue... and it dosen't look like an unsolicited package with a bomb, drugs or a Grand Piano...

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
... I was initially concerned that, even though my albergue has been forewarned, the parcel when it arrives may look too much like an unsolicited package with a bomb, drugs etc. ...
If you already talked this out with the albergue there shouldn't be any glitches. Maybe just add (in brackets) "peregrina" to your name or even planned date of arrival to the albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back