• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending extra luggage from Oporto to Santiago

annakappa

RIP 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
What are the possibilities of sending extra luggage from Porto to Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's not a question of a few extras. Its not a simple as that. This time. We have to go to London for a wedding after walking, plus we want to visit 3 of our grandchildren in Switzerland before walking. Two different situations, with a Camino in the middle!
Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's not a question of a few extras. Its not a simple as that. This time. We have to go to London for a wedding after walking, plus we want to visit 3 of our grandchildren in Switzerland before walking. Two different situations, with a Camino in the middle!
Anne
Hi Anne,
I walked the Camino from Port earlier this year and like you I had other travels to do afterwards. I found on this site that Ivar provides a storage service. It is very fair pricing and I simply posted from Porto to Santiago and collected when we arrived. He even emailed me when it arrived so I had comfort in my walk knowing my stuff would be there for me.
Bon Camino

Thanks Vasco. Yes I know Ivar personally and thought of storing with him. My problem was HOW to send the suitcase there, so if one can do it using the postal service, then that is great. In the past, I've posted things to Santiago but from Spain. Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry for being quite away from here @peregrina2000 and @annakappa, but I've been on vacations, and I'm still not in the "action mode" :p

Using the Portuguese Postal Service it's out of the list because of two things: it is expensive and it has a limitation for 2kg according to their website. I think that there is a way to send heavier things through postal service, but it's expensive.

There are companies like DHL that could take care of your things, and have them delivered where you want them. I know that there are also Portuguese companies, almost only dedicated to the Caminho that also do that, but I'm still searching. I've posed the question on a Portuguese pilgrims group on Facebook, and I'm waiting for an answer from them.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Ok, that was fast!

Beside DHL, you also have TNT (http://www.tnt.com/content/express/pt_pt/site/home.html), AUTNA (http://www.autna.com/) and also Rede Expressos (http://www.rede-expressos.pt/).

Please notice that the last two are bus companies, who do also transportation services. You can send an email to them to see what are the conditions.

I'm still trying to have more answers ;)

Best Regards
Diogo
Wow, Diogo! That's just the information that I was looking for. I will contact them for the various possibilities. Thanks so much! Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow, Diogo! That's just the information that I was looking for. I will contact them for the various possibilities. Thanks so much! Anne

Has I've said, I'm still waiting for more answers.

And you're welcome :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Ane,
As mentioned in a previous post I used the postal service. Simply walked into a post office and they were very helpful. I sent a very large suitcase ( about 80 litres) plus a biggish box I bought from them, from memory the postage cost me 30 euros.
Bon Camino

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back