• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sending luggage ahead

ann o neill

Hi, a group of us hope to start the french way in St Jean pied de port and stay in Orisson for the first night - is it possible to get luggage sent to the refugio there ahead of us and then onwards to Roncevalles? I know later it will be ok but going over the pyrenees could be different!!
:wink:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It shouldn't be a problem, taxi services do this in this area, though I didn't see anyone send their packs/bags from St Jean to Orisson I can't imagine it not working. I did see a bunch of people send their packs from Orisson to Roncevalles via taxi, they paid around 7 euros I think, but really not sure, anyway it seemed like a way the taxi drivers were making easy money so to speak, they just loaded a bunch of bags in their car and off they went! Wherever you stay in St Jean could probably let you know for sure.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,
I see that the size of box to use for the luggage storage is very precise. Are these boxes that are readily available and where would I get one? Does it need to be wrapped in paper after sealing? What kind of postage cost would it be from Sevilla-is it based on weight or size? I am taking a one-week Spanish course in Sevilla before I head out and don't fancy carrying all my books with me all the way to Santiago! :lol:

Thanks for your info. Exactly 7 weeks before I leave!!

Sue

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Sue,
The Spanish Correos site has all the details for parcels and how much they are to send. (Click on 'Welcome' on the top right hand corner for English or click on this link.
http://www.correos.es/comun/tarifas/02P ... arifas.asp

Last year the info was:
Post Offices: Most are open from 8h30 – 20h30 on working days and 09h30 – 14h00 on Saturdays. Parcels sent ahead take 3 – 5 working days.
You buy the box -
Small box 230 x 140 x 80 mm €1.55:
Medium box 317 x 215 x 125 mm €1.95
Large box 390 x 280 x 190 mm €2.45:
Extra large* box 590 x 390 x 390 mm €3.05
Trapezoid box €2.45:
Adjustable box €2.40

and pay for the postage:

Up to 2kg €5.29:
5kg €6.15:
10kg €7.25:
15kg €10.08:
20kg €12.30

If you are going to use the Spanish postal service to ship ahead things to SDC, it will be reasonably cheap. I made the mistake of shipping some things from Paris to SDC and it cost twice as much!

Thanks, Sil and Renegade
Exactly the info I needed to know. One less thing to worry about!

Sue

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just remember though Sue that there is a time limit on how long things can be stored at a PO. In 2009 it was cut back to 2 weeks, although it was extended to 4 weeks last year for the Holy Year. I am not sure if it has reverted back to 2 weeks or not. To be safe I would send it to another place half way and then re-send to SDC - at the prices listed by Sil it would be quite reasonable to repackage and add those little brochures / bits and bobs that you are trying to save and thus lighten the load part way along. Cheers, Janet

Thanks Janet,
I am planning to send my things to Pension Badalada in SDC; on top of the mailing cost it will be 15E to store a small box for 60 days. I think it will be well worth it.

Sue

Hello,
Can you please clarify as this new pilgrim is a little confused about the luggage sitch...
Is it best (cheaper) to send luggage from St Jean Pied de Port or Biarritz/Bayonne rather than Paris?
I was not certain what was meant by the Spanish postal service (as SJPP where the journey begins is in France)
The eight week holding period in Santiago seems a fabulous service.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
gypsy9 said:
Hello,
Can you please clarify as this new pilgrim is a little confused about the luggage sitch...
Is it best (cheaper) to send luggage from St Jean Pied de Port or Biarritz/Bayonne rather than Paris?
I was not certain what was meant by the Spanish postal service (as SJPP where the journey begins is in France)
The eight week holding period in Santiago seems a fabulous service.

Shipping made easy:
From France to Spain = EXPENSIVE!!!
Within Spain= CHEAP!!!

You might want to see if you can pay one of the luggage carriers to take your stuff to Pamplona and then ship from there. Even paying someone to get it to Pamplona plus postage within Spain will still be cheaper than paying from France to Spain....If you are staying at a hotel or pension in Santiago, you may be able to contact them and see if you can ship to them and have them hold your stuff until you arrive. Just a thought.

I shipped a very small box from Paris to SDC and it cost me over 30 Euros. From Pamplona to SDC, I shipped a much larger box and it was less than 15 euros, if I remember correctly.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.