• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending luggage ahead

Laurancetsang

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2012 Camino Frances
March 2017
Hi everyone. I have been reading that you can send parcels to Santiago but they only hold them for 15 days. I was wondering if anyone knows other places along the camino I can send a package. Basically my bag weighs about 30 kilos. It contains my belongings a tent and rations as I plan this trip to be mostly self contained and travelling for a further 2 months afterwards. I was thinking of sending my rations ahead and picking them up at intervals along the camino if possible.

By the way people have already commented about taking rations however I am low on funds for my trip and I already have loads of rations already and will utilise them as much as possible

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can post packages ahead to yourself. Write on the parcel “Peregrino” and also your expected date of arrival. You will have to show your passport or ID when you collect your parcel so write your name on the package as it appears in your document.

For example: To Santiago

Jones M. A.
Lista de Correos
15780 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña

You can get post office locations here:

http://www.correos.es/ENG/00-MenuRec1/mapaweb.asp

Postage from outside Spain to Spain can be quite expensive.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recently discovered that the postal rates are much less if you send a parcel to Listo de Correos than if you send it to a private address where the Correos folks have to take the extra step to deliver it. (That means it will cost more to send it to Ivar's service...but still worth it if you need something held for more than two weeks!)

For the OP, you can post ahead to the main cities with no problem, and pick up as you go. Just be sure you don't need your parcel on a Sunday, as the Correos offices are closed.

When you go to the first Correos office, you can buy a 'caja verde', or green box, pre-made to accommodate your items. The boxes come in four sizes, and the maximum weight allowed in one parcel is 20 kgs. Once you have loaded your box, you then go to a different counter to pay for the postage. You will need to get a ticket from the machine at the door for 'Enviar', then watch the monitor for your number.

When you go to pick up, get a ticket from the machine at the door for "Recoger' and watch the monitor for your number.

Here are the post codes for the main cities along the Camino Frances:

31080 Pamplona
31100 Puenta la Reina
26080 Logroño
09080 Burgos
24080 León
24700 Astorga
24400 Ponferrada
27600 Sarria

How do you know which post office in any given town is the right one?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You have to mail your parcel to the specific post office, not just the town. See Falcon's post above for the link to the site to find the addresses for the various post offices in the different towns. To find the ones closest to the Camino, you would need to map it.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I recently discovered that the postal rates are much less if you send a parcel to Listo de Correos than if you send it to a private address where the Correos folks have to take the extra step to deliver it. (That means it will cost more to send it to Ivar's service...but still worth it if you need something held for more than two weeks!)

For the OP, you can post ahead to the main cities with no problem, and pick up as you go. Just be sure you don't need your parcel on a Sunday, as the Correos offices are closed.

When you go to the first Correos office, you can buy a 'caja verde', or green box, pre-made to accommodate your items. The boxes come in four sizes, and the maximum weight allowed in one parcel is 20 kgs. Once you have loaded your box, you then go to a different counter to pay for the postage. You will need to get a ticket from the machine at the door for 'Enviar', then watch the monitor for your number.

When you go to pick up, get a ticket from the machine at the door for "Recoger' and watch the monitor for your number.

Here are the post codes for the main cities along the Camino Frances:

31080 Pamplona
31100 Puenta la Reina
26080 Logroño
09080 Burgos
24080 León
24700 Astorga
24400 Ponferrada
27600 Sarria
It was only 14€ for me to send a large, heavy duffel bag from Pamplona to Santiago, using Ivar's service. It was fantastic!

Is there more recent information on sending packages ahead to Santiago? I have searched but have not found anything. Can someone answer asap as I have a pilgrim waiting in Pamplona for this info. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
SNIP

Its still find a Correos; queue; queue again; and sometimes if you got the wrong queue, queue again. @nreyn12's helpful post above just about covers it all.
l

Stop it, you're making me so nostalgic I can't stand it. I LOVED my Correos visits. Some of the warmest, nicest Buen Caminos I received...while being pointed to the correct line.
seriously, LOVE LOVE LOVE Correos.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anyone knows if this service still works; sending package from one postal office to another (in Spain)?

And can I do online shopping and have a postal office as receiver?
I need some technical gear, and Im not sure they will arrive before I leave home.

Anyone knows if this service still works; sending package from one postal office to another (in Spain)?

I need some technical gear, and Im not sure they will arrive before I leave home.

For current info in English on sending within Spain luggage/suitcases/backpacks/packages by the Spanish Correos see this page from their handy web.
http://elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/envio-maletas.php

Buen camino!

I don't know if you can have the post office receive goods shipped from merchants or not, but I'm pretty sure that it would be a big problem if it was shipped from outside the EU.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

As @trecile says, if you are shipping / purchasing gear from outside the EU it will hit customs and go no further. Most on-line retailers will be aware of this and will refuse to ship. Some, while they are prepared to ship to an address other than a card billing address will not ship to a country different to the billing country - mainly because card companies will not cover them for fraudulent transactions. Items sent to non-billing addresses are not generally covered under on-line retailers T&C's or by your card provider (other circumstances may exist).

I might sometimes have suggested that you don't need 'technical' gear to walk a camino but that seems to be an unacceptable view these days so I'll just suggest that you can get anything you need or even think you might in Spain without any difficulty beyond a cab ride to the nearest Decathalon (other retailers are available). Items shipped (within the EU) 'Lista de Correos' will be held for, I think, 14 days but I may be misunderstanding their website.

I need to get a family member to post me a parcel to collect in Santiago and have a few questions on just where to address it. Some on this post say the postcode for Santiago is 15780 but when I go to the correos website the main post office in Santiago gives a address of
RUA DO FRANCO 4
15702 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA (A Coruña)

So I guess the postcode is actually 15702??

Also "Lista de correos" what does this mean?

I am getting the parcel sent from Australia.

Thanks

I need to get a family member to post me a parcel to collect in Santiago and have a few questions on just where to address it. Some on this post say the postcode for Santiago is 15780 but when I go to the correos website the main post office in Santiago gives a address of
RUA DO FRANCO 4
15702 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA (A Coruña)

So I guess the postcode is actually 15702??

Also "Lista de correos" what does this mean?

I am getting the parcel sent from Australia.

Thanks
Did you read Tincatinker's post just above yours? A package coming from outside the EU would likely be held up in Customs, and not reach the post office.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The advice about customs isn't quite accurate. I regularly recieve packages in Spain sent from outside Europe, including Australia. The key thing is to be very clear in the customs declaration when posting.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back