• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending luggage via post office from Portugal

CharlieChu

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I will be arriving from Frankfurt to Porto airport at 9pm on April 4. We plan to take the train next morning from Porto to Lisbon and the following day to begin the walk from Lisboa to Santiago. We want to send ahead, from Porto, two additional small suitcases to a hotel in Santiago. I contacted TuiTrans and TaxiTransfer as others recommended on this forum. They both said the price per bag from Porto to Santiago would be 75€ per bag. That seems steep to me. Does anyone know how to get info from the postal service of Portugal? I have not found their webpage, if they have one. We're open to other suggestions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, probably not very helpful, and not what you asked, but an interesting thought: the Alsa bus (https://www.alsa.es/en) from Santiago to Porto costs 33 euros. Cheaper for both of you to bus back to Porto and pick up your 2 suitcases that you left (for free) at the hotel you stayed at overnight in Porto. I have done this a few times; booked a room at the beginning and end of a trip after having first got confirmation they will keep a bag for me inbetween stays.
Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You could also forward your bags to Ivar for collection upon arrival in SdC.
http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html

I sent extra travel gear (soft sided, foldable luggage; clothes; and other odds and ends) last year by post from Porto. With better planning, would have taken to the PO packing boxes purchased previously in town, rather than purchase them at the PO. But check to see what the dimensions and weight of largest size box they will permit to be shipped before you get your boxes. We did think ahead and take clear packing tape on the trip and had previously created address cards to tape onto the packages. The extra tape went into the last package, once the needed lengths had been peeled off the roll and temporarily placed on our backpacks, which were then used to seal up that last box. Plus, nice to stop in and say hi to Ivar shortly after arrival.
Handy and reasonably priced service.

My wife and I will be walking Porto Camino in the fall and interested in shipping small amount of extra travel gear from Porto to SDC. Thanks for the postal shipping info Swift3. Do you recall the cost to ship using the postal service?

Not exactly. But I remember that the cost to send the packages via the Portuguese mail to the last town in Portugal was very reasonable, but once they left Portugal, and were handled by the Spanish mail, the cost was, comparatively, eye-popping. I remember thinking, overall, the cost was a bit pricey, but compared to the alternative of carry that stuff in my backpack for 170 miles or so, worth every penny.

To be honest, I can't remember if the postal rates were based on weight, or flat rate based on the size of the box.

Check this section of this site for more details from Ivar.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/casa-ivar-in-santiago.183/
He has the 2017 Spanish package rates posted.
I did not see the Portuguese rates, but you might send Ivar an email with that inquiry about Portuguese postal rates.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife and I will be walking Porto Camino in the fall and interested in shipping small amount of extra travel gear from Porto to SDC. Thanks for the postal shipping info Swift3. Do you recall the cost to ship using the postal service?
Hi!

You can find all rates here: https://www.ctt.pt/correio-e-encomendas/enviar-correio/opcoes-de-envio/index.html
Little problem: it's all in portuguese... But I can translate if you need.

I dont know how much your things will weigh, but if it is over 2kg, these are the rates: https://www.ctt.pt/correio-e-encomendas/enviar-correio/opcoes-de-envio/encomendas.html#panel2-1

"Âmbito Internacional" -> Zona "1"

Personally, I would try to use a service like EuroSender... A lot cheaper.

Joana

My wife and I will be arriving from Frankfurt to Porto airport at 9pm on April 4. We plan to take the train next morning from Porto to Lisbon and the following day to begin the walk from Lisboa to Santiago. We want to send ahead, from Porto, two additional small suitcases to a hotel in Santiago. I contacted TuiTrans and TaxiTransfer as others recommended on this forum. They both said the price per bag from Porto to Santiago would be 75€ per bag. That seems steep to me. Does anyone know how to get info from the postal service of Portugal? I have not found their webpage, if they have one. We're open to other suggestions.
Hello! We are arriving in Porto on March 30th and sending our extra luggage through the post office to
Casa Ivar
Att: put your name here
Travesia Da Universidad 1
15704 Santiago de Compostela
A coruna
Espana

+34 625176571
email: ivar@casaivar.com
$25E per suitcase and shipping through the post office.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back