• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending small suitcase to Ivar in Santiago from Lisbon

patmimi

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Frances and starting Portuguese
I was wondering what postal service others used to send a small suitcase to Santiago from Lisbon. Did you use DHL, UPS, or another postal service from Lisbon? Any problems or advise? Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was wondering what postal service others used to send a small suitcase to Santiago from Lisbon. Did you use DHL, UPS, or another postal service from Lisbon? Any problems or advise? Thank you!
I know a few people who have mailed a box with their post Camino tourist clothes to Ivar via the Portuguese post office.
Perhaps @LesR or @tarredon will weigh in.

Ivar recently posted a video explaining how to do this. He uses DHL or post office.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just sent a carry on sized suitcase from Lisbon to Santiago on Friday from the post office in Lisbon. It arrived today on Monday. The suitcase was not put in a box and the post office just wanted a lock on the bag. They taped the delivery address directly on the luggage. I had no issues. The video for Casa Ivar explains why you may want to use DHL, but I had no issue using the regular postal service in Portugal.

I just sent a carry on sized suitcase from Lisbon to Santiago on Friday from the post office in Lisbon. It arrived today on Monday. The suitcase was not put in a box and the post office just wanted a lock on the bag. They taped the delivery address directly on the luggage. I had no issues. The video for Casa Ivar explains why you may want to use DHL, but I had no issue using the regular postal service in Portugal.
That's good to know!
It would be easier for me to ship a small suitcase, than to put everything in a box. Would you mind sharing what the cost was?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's good to know!
It would be easier for me to ship a small suitcase, than to put everything in a box. Would you mind sharing what the cost was?
It was about 25 euros. I am not sure what the weight was. I forgot to mention the post office does not accept foreign credit cards, so bring cash.

I know a few people who have mailed a box with their post Camino tourist clothes to Ivar via the Portuguese post office.
Perhaps @LesR or @tarredon will weigh in.

yes - i used the Portuguese postal service (CIT) to send some clothes and other things from Lisbon to Ivar in Santiago in 2019.

I packaged up my things, walked into a post office not far from the cathedral, bought a cardboard box of the right size from their stock, put my stuff in it and addressed it to Ivar. Post office staff taped and sealed the box.

I received emails advising of progress…. Box sent from Lisbon, box delivered to Ivar.

And, of course, the box (and contents) was waiting for me in Santiago 5 weeks later - no damage…

Cost of the box and postage - around 17 Euro, from memory….

Good service and no problems… i especially appreciated the post office staff doing the taping and sealing of the box.

Last edited:
yes - i used the Portuguese postal service (CIT) to send some clothes and other things from Lisbon to Ivar in Santiago in 2019.

I packaged up my things, walked into a post office not far from the cathedral, bought a cardboard box of the right size from their stock, put my stuff in it and addressed it to Ivar. Post office staff taped and sealed the box.

I received emails advising of progress…. Box sent from Lisbon, box delivered to Ivar.

And, of course, the box (and contents) was waiting for me in Santiago 5 weeks later - no damage…

Cost of the box and postage - around 17 Euro, from memory….

Good service and no problems… i especially appreciated the post office staff doing the taping and sealing of the box.
Do you have the address of Ivar? Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.