• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending Stuff Ahead to St Jean

Jeff H

Time of past OR future Camino
It might be last minute September 2017
I would like to send ahead a few article prior to my start of the Camino to St. Jean Pied de Port. This would allow me to carry on my pack with less hassles. I'm staying at a hotel La Villa Esponda but don't have direct contact with them wondering if there was a safe place to use and if there are any documents necessary to post items to St Jean.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would like to send ahead a few article prior to my start of the Camino to St. Jean Pied de Port. This would allow me to carry on my pack with less hassles. I'm staying at a hotel La Villa Esponda but don't have direct contact with them wondering if there was a safe place to use and if there are any documents necessary to post items to St Jean.
I would worry about my things getting stuck in Customs and not arriving in time.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dunno where you're from but don't try sending anything in to the EC unless you want to spend a couple of entertaining days wrestling customs and more cash than the damn things cost in the first place.

Poles, knives and short-wave transmitters are all readily available in retail outlets and you might want to consider whether, if you don't want to carry it from home why you want to carry it at all ;0)

I would just check a small bag ( or box so you can throw it away when you arrive) with whatever your items are. That's what we did with our poles and knives.

If you are presently within the EU, send your items to your reserved lodgings, with their prior approval.

If you are in SJPdP send items to Santiago using Express Bourricot. They offer the best value for price.

If you are already in Spain, send items to another Correos (post office) along your line of march, or to Santiago using the Correos. Check here for complete information:

http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/pagina-urgentes_cartas_documentos/sidioma=en_GB

As others have said, if you are NOT in the EU, DO NOT send items into the EU. The cost is obscene and the taxes as well as procedures on arrival are insane... You could easily spend more than the cost of the items sent. It is usually a lot cheaper to pay for an extra piece of checked baggage.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can send your package to the pilgrims office 39 rue de la Citadelle 64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port. We take delivery of and we keep the package happens. But pay attention because maybe you have to pay some taxes

Mona, excellent information. I did not know this service existed. It will help some pilgrims.

Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back