• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending supplies ahead to post offices - who's done it?

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
I'm currently devising a cunning plan whereby I send ahead supplies (Huel) to a half-way point and pick them up when I'm there. That would mean I'd only have to carry maximum half the weight.

Who has done this? I know Correos will keep packages for you, but for how long? And how do you address them to make sure they're kept back. Has anyone had experience with this? I know Correos in Santiago would know what to do with such packages, but do smaller town and city post-offices earlier on, also?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look up elcaminoconcorreos.com . There is a service called Paq Peregrino where you can send packages ahead and Correos (post office) will store them for 30, 45, or 75 days. I used this service last fall, sending a small suitcase (did not have to be packaged) and a small box from Salamanca to be stored in a post office that I had selected near Barajas in Madrid. It was more cost effective than any luggage storage service in Madrid. The counter service person in Salamanca was very helpful with addressing the package and ensuring the correct service. I even received texts tracking the packages. Just be aware of the open hours of the various correos locations.

Correos also has a service called Paq Mochila that will transport you pack along the Camino.

Another bit of information: On the Correos website you will be able to look up post office locations and hours and whether a particular office is able to store packages.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm currently devising a cunning plan whereby I send ahead supplies (Huel) to a half-way point and pick them up when I'm there. That would mean I'd only have to carry maximum half the weight.

Who has done this? I know Correos will keep packages for you, but for how long? And how do you address them to make sure they're kept back. Has anyone had experience with this? I know Correos in Santiago would know what to do with such packages, but do smaller town and city post-offices earlier on, also?
What supplies would you send ahead? I don't see how you could halve the weight that you carry. You will always need to carry the same amount of clothing, sleeping gear, rain gear, basic toiletries, etc.
If you have special consumable items that you don't want to replace with Spanish brands along the way you could mail those to yourself. I've thought of doing that, but it would require a lot of advance planning. You wouldn't want to arrive at the place where you mailed them on a Saturday afternoon and have to wait until Monday to retrieve them.

What supplies would you send ahead? I don't see how you could halve the weight that you carry. You will always need to carry the same amount of clothing, sleeping gear, rain gear, basic toiletries, etc.
If you have special consumable items that you don't want to replace with Spanish brands along the way you could mail those to yourself. I've thought of doing that, but it would require a lot of advance planning. You wouldn't want to arrive at the place where you mailed them on a Saturday afternoon and have to wait until Monday to retrieve them.
I'm talking about food, specifically Huel shakes for breakfast / brunch. If I need say 3.5 kg of it for a full camino, I could leave half at the half-way point, you see...

I'm talking about food, specifically Huel shakes for breakfast / brunch. If I need say 3.5 kg of it for a full camino, I could leave half at the half-way point, you see...
I don't know what Huel shakes are. I just always bought lunch along the way either at a bar or grocery store.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@H Richards, On the Forum I have seen Poste Restante -General Delivery- mentioned a number of times. My understanding is that a package will be kept for only 15 days (need to confirm this with Correos) before it is returned to sender. Therefore, I believe that the Paq Peregrino service would be preferable in that it allows for longer storage while you are walking.

Post offices all along the Camino Frances would be experienced with the needs of peregrinos.

I've done this many times. I'm a true fan of Correos - Madrid, Belorado, Sahagun, Carrion de los Condes, Leon, and Santiago!! They've given me great tips - the RETURN address should be YOUR name and the address of the RECEIVING post office. Indicate PEREGRINA/O. I picked up a package six months after mailing it without problems (long story). Just be aware that the Correos office in small towns may have limited hours, be sure to check when you mail your package. I found smaller places easy to work with - the big city offices are a bit more confusing.
Good luck, @H Richards and Buen Camino!

I'm doing the Camino Portugues from Porto next month. The cost of sending some luggage to Santiago by post seems expensive (POffice website). There's another service by a company called Tui Trans. The price per bag (up to 15/20kg) from Oporto to Santiago directly is 60€.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And post Spanish post offices on the Camino have their own sello's too! They are quite proud of it. Just so you know, you can get a stamp when you pick up your shakes!

Davey

I've done this many times. I'm a true fan of Correos - Madrid, Belorado, Sahagun, Carrion de los Condes, Leon, and Santiago!! They've given me great tips - the RETURN address should be YOUR name and the address of the RECEIVING post office. Indicate PEREGRINA/O. I picked up a package six months after mailing it without problems (long story).
In places with fewer pilgrims, I've found that post office staff aren't always aware or sympathetic to the needs of pilgrims. I encountered one very surly "jobsworth" type at the main post office in Cordoba. I gave up trying to work with her and returned later to deal with a more service-oriented staffer.
My solution to the 15 day holding limit was to use the address of a hotel where I had a reservation as my return address. (I included my name and my reservation date). This requires some additional planning, as you can imagine - and if you show up on the day that the parcel is in transit from the post office to the hotel, you're out of luck.
I'm intrigued by your six month story. I was told that parcels would be sent to the return address or destroyed if there was no return address. Perhaps if I had put my name and the address of the receiving office with Peregrino on the label some kind employee would have thought twice before destroying it?

In places with fewer pilgrims, I've found that post office staff aren't always aware or sympathetic to the needs of pilgrims. I encountered one very surly "jobsworth" type at the main post office in Cordoba. I gave up trying to work with her and returned later to deal with a more service-oriented staffer.
My solution to the 15 day holding limit was to use the address of a hotel where I had a reservation as my return address. (I included my name and my reservation date). This requires some additional planning, as you can imagine - and if you show up on the day that the parcel is in transit from the post office to the hotel, you're out of luck.
I'm intrigued by your six month story. I was told that parcels would be sent to the return address or destroyed if there was no return address. Perhaps if I had put my name and the address of the receiving office with Peregrino on the label some kind employee would have thought twice before destroying it?
The Correos people, i found, were nice people. Ive always tried to be kind and appreciative to them. Few spoke English, and my Spanish is limited, but we always managed with a few smiles and frequently a Buen Camino as i left! I dont know about the 15-day "rule". Everything ive ever sent, ive retrieved, usually beyond 2 weeks!! I would use their services again and again. 😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@H Richards, On the Forum I have seen Poste Restante -General Delivery- mentioned a number of times. My understanding is that a package will be kept for only 15 days (need to confirm this with Correos) before it is returned to sender. Therefore, I believe that the Paq Peregrino service would be preferable in that it allows for longer storage while you are walking.

Post offices all along the Camino Frances would be experienced with the needs of peregrinos.
Thanks - poste restante... that's the one I'm thinking of yes. I know there's the paq peregrino but it's a lot bigger and more expensive. Basically it would wipe out any savings I'd make from carrying the food instead of eating out. I just need the basic service.

Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction!

@Sparrow in Texas & @H Richards - I don't remember using either Poste Restante or Paq Peregrino, tho' I must have used one or the other. I sent fairly small packages - maybe 2kg or less. Possibly since they wouldn't take up much space in their storage facilities, the 15-day limit wasn't a factor. I don't remember the cost - the important thing for me was the small reduction of pack weight! ;-)

Look up elcaminoconcorreos.com . There is a service called Paq Peregrino where you can send packages ahead and Correos (post office) will store them for 30, 45, or 75 days. I used this service last fall, sending a small suitcase (did not have to be packaged) and a small box from Salamanca to be stored in a post office that I had selected near Barajas in Madrid. It was more cost effective than any luggage storage service in Madrid. The counter service person in Salamanca was very helpful with addressing the package and ensuring the correct service. I even received texts tracking the packages. Just be aware of the open hours of the various correos locations.

Correos also has a service called Paq Mochila that will transport you pack along the Camino.

I used this too. Works well!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.