• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senior Newbies planning first Camino- advice?

Maxsmom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hola to all, I'm a complete newbie, planning a first trip for September 2020. I''ll be with a party of other senior newbies and we are using this as a "get to know" Camino stage, as at least a couple of us are thinking about doing a full Camino in the future. Meanwhile for this initial stage, we'll be taking it slow - 10-12 miles per day. Tho, we are planning to hike over the Pyrenees from SJPP to Roncevalles, but in 2 days, not 1.

1) Any suggestions for where to stay in SJPP- not albergue- hotel or B&B? We will be spending 2 night there to relax after travel.

2) any suggestions for places to stay between Roncevalles and Pamplona and between Pamplona and Puenta de Reina? Again, not albergues, but B&B.

thanks for any tips!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have booked Posada El Camino in Lintzoain. I booked a bed in a shared room but they mostly do private rooms. Not sure about anywhere else as I'll mostly be staying in albergues.
Molly

Hola to all, I'm a complete newbie, planning a first trip for September 2020. I''ll be with a party of other senior newbies and we are using this as a "get to know" Camino stage, as at least a couple of us are thinking about doing a full Camino in the future. Meanwhile for this initial stage, we'll be taking it slow - 10-12 miles per day. Tho, we are planning to hike over the Pyrenees from SJPP to Roncevalles, but in 2 days, not 1.

1) Any suggestions for where to stay in SJPP- not albergue- hotel or B&B? We will be spending 2 night there to relax after travel.

2) any suggestions for places to stay between Roncevalles and Pamplona and between Pamplona and Puenta de Reina? Again, not albergues, but B&B.

thanks for any tips!
Have you booked into Orisson to break up the walk over the Pyrenees? Or will you walk the Valcarlos route and spend the night in Valcarlos? Or the other option is to walk part way and taxi or take Express Bouricott's Mountain Shuttle back to St Jean, then return to where you left off the next day.

moutain shuttle.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first night in SJPdP, I stayed in a little hotel, Hôtel Itzalpea. Not terribly fancy but affordable with friendly staff and a very nice breakfast. Right in the center of town, very close to the pilgrims office and exit to the way. Plan to stay there again when I return at the end of April for a couple of nights.

BTW: I, too, am a senior. LOL

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

thanks for any tips!
There is a place I have stayed at twice in SJPdP....it is an old house on the river a very short walk from the village. Gorgeous. The host, Jean Francois is exceptional. It is called Maison DonaMaria. You can tell him I recommended it to you. He will remember me. He serves an awesome breakfast and is a fountain of information.
Between Roncevalles and Pamplona is another place.....this is where Martin Sheen met the Canadian woman in the movie “The Way”....it is called Akerretta.....it is an awesome little hotel. The gentleman who runs it makes an incredible dinner for you too. I would highly recommend them both and I will stay there again in the future.

There is a place I have stayed at twice in SJPdP....it is an old house on the river a very short walk from the village. Gorgeous. The host, Jean Francois is exceptional. It is called Maison DonaMaria. You can tell him I recommended it to you. He will remember me. He serves an awesome breakfast and is a fountain of information.
Between Roncevalles and Pamplona is another place.....this is where Martin Sheen met the Canadian woman in the movie “The Way”....it is called Akerretta.....it is an awesome little hotel. The gentleman who runs it makes an incredible dinner for you too. I would highly recommend them both and I will stay there again in the future.
great suggestions, I really appreciate them!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We should also address the “senior” pilgrim description.

Many of the members here in the forum are in their 70s (and 80s) and walk Caminos on a regular basis. Your level of fitness and preparation is the main factor..not a chronological age.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the comment about seniors and its great to know that we active folks in those decades are well represented here.

On my first night in SJPdP, I stayed in a little hotel, Hôtel Itzalpea. Not terribly fancy but affordable with friendly staff and a very nice breakfast. Right in the center of town, very close to the pilgrims office and exit to the way. Plan to stay there again when I return at the end of April for a couple of nights.

BTW: I, too, am a senior. LOL
thanks, really appreciate the recommendation.

I can't give you any hotel tips as I am an albergue kind of guy. I will be 66 next month so I guess I am pretty senior. I will tell you to definitely train, and then to start to train with your pack on. When you start you will probably have aches and pains you never had before. Wear running shoes (my personal opinion) as boots are heavier and I think (just from observation) cause more blisters. Wear your running shoes in training and get a size larger. Your feet will expand. I live in a very hot climate and can't walk long distances. But I have learned how to walk myself into shape. It is pretty easy to do especially when you start. Listen to your body and stop when your body tells you to stop, and rest for 10 minutes at least. Eat high energy snacks and stop when you need to eat. Set no goals on when you will stop just listen to your body. If you have flexibility and the financial means, maybe you should consider when you finish your camino and go home until after you start. After you walk a week or so you will start to find your rhythm and the aches will go away and you will be amazed to find out how strong and good you will begin to feel. You may want to keep going. If you plan on walking 17 to 20K a day you will have no problems stopping when you are tired. Remember to stop for the day when you still feel pretty good. You may think I feel pretty good I can go another 3-5K. You never know what may lay ahead and you will be shocked how quickly fatigue can set in. So my last advice to you would be to stop a kilometer or two early rather than go 3 or 4k too far. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't give you any hotel tips as I am an albergue kind of guy. I will be 66 next month so I guess I am pretty senior. I will tell you to definitely train, and then to start to train with your pack on. When you start you will probably have aches and pains you never had before. Wear running shoes (my personal opinion) as boots are heavier and I think (just from observation) cause more blisters. Wear your running shoes in training and get a size larger. Your feet will expand. I live in a very hot climate and can't walk long distances. But I have learned how to walk myself into shape. It is pretty easy to do especially when you start. Listen to your body and stop when your body tells you to stop, and rest for 10 minutes at least. Eat high energy snacks and stop when you need to eat. Set no goals on when you will stop just listen to your body. If you have flexibility and the financial means, maybe you should consider when you finish your camino and go home until after you start. After you walk a week or so you will start to find your rhythm and the aches will go away and you will be amazed to find out how strong and good you will begin to feel. You may want to keep going. If you plan on walking 17 to 20K a day you will have no problems stopping when you are tired. Remember to stop for the day when you still feel pretty good. You may think I feel pretty good I can go another 3-5K. You never know what may lay ahead and you will be shocked how quickly fatigue can set in. So my last advice to you would be to stop a kilometer or two early rather than go 3 or 4k too far. Buen Camino.
thanks so much- great suggestions - much appreciated

The first stage from Saint Jean is up over the Pyrenees mountains and is a 1200 meter climb over the first 24 kilometers to Roncesvalles. Just to put that in perspective, If a modern building is 4 meters per story, then that is like climbing the stairwell of a 300 story building. With an 18 pound pack.
I was 63 when I did my slow camino, and because it was February and because of the very difficult first day, I took the bus from Pamplona and started in Roncesvalles at the top of the Pyrenees to avoid the first day brutal climb. I would suggest you consider starting from Pamplona or Roncesvales.
Then again, if you are in excellent condition there are many seniors who do it. Look at the elevation map before you decide is all I am saying, not to discourage you.
If you decide to leave from Pamplona, stay at Hotel Eslava (inside the walls of the old city off Plaza Virgin - I walked there from train station) )for 38 Euros private room not far from Camino route very nice "old world" Hotel. Have breakfasts at Cafe Iruna which was Hemingway's favorite - also very Victorian and old world.
The first leg of the Camino is not at all representative of most of it - it is some of the most difficult of the entire route. Not really a great place for a "test run".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first stage from Saint Jean is up over the Pyrenees mountains and is a 1200 meter climb over the first 24 kilometers to Roncesvalles. Just to put that in perspective, If a modern building is 4 meters per story, then that is like climbing the stairwell of a 300 story building. With an 18 pound pack.
I was 63 when I did my slow camino, and because it was February and because of the very difficult first day, I took the bus from Pamplona and started in Roncesvalles at the top of the Pyrenees to avoid the first day brutal climb. I would suggest you consider starting from Pamplona or Roncesvales.
Then again, if you are in excellent condition there are many seniors who do it. Look at the elevation map before you decide is all I am saying, not to discourage you.
If you decide to leave from Pamplona, stay at Hotel Eslava (inside the walls of the old city off Plaza Virgin - I walked there from train station) )for 38 Euros private room not far from Camino route very nice "old world" Hotel. Have breakfasts at Cafe Iruna which was Hemingway's favorite - also very Victorian and old world.
The first leg of the Camino is not at all representative of most of it - it is some of the most difficult of the entire route. Not really a great place for a "test run".
great advice, we are evaluating the climb - luckily we have several months to increase our uphill mileage.. your ideas and suggestions are great- thanks!

@Maxsmom....keep in mind that many thousands of pilgrims from all over the world...and of all ages and fitness levels..make the walk from St. Jean every year. Many stop at Orisson or ValCarlos to break the walk into two parts. However, most walk to Roncesvalles in one day. Orisson has a very limited number of beds available and there are many more walkers every day than there are beds.

Much is written about the "hardship"....but it is very doable by folks have have done some preparation.
The myths and horror stories are greatly over done.
I have done both routes serveral times and IN MY OPINION they are about equal in difficulty despite the "stories". The real difficulty is that it is the first day and is a long uphill walk. People are full of doubt and worry that adds to the hard day.
However...the sense of accomplishment upon reaching Roncesvalles is life changing for most people. You will know that you can continue on the rest of the adventure.

@Maxsmom....keep in mind that many thousands of pilgrims from all over the world...and of all ages and fitness levels..make the walk from St. Jean every year. Many stop at Orisson or ValCarlos to break the walk into two parts. However, most walk to Roncesvalles in one day. Orisson has a very limited number of beds available and there are many more walkers every day than there are beds.

Much is written about the "hardship"....but it is very doable by folks have have done some preparation.
The myths and horror stories are greatly over done.
I have done both routes serveral times and IN MY OPINION they are about equal in difficulty despite the "stories". The real difficulty is that it is the first day and is a long uphill walk. People are full of doubt and worry that adds to the hard day.
However...the sense of accomplishment upon reaching Roncesvalles is life changing for most people. You will know that you can continue on the rest of the adventure.
thanks, this is very encouraging. We are planning a rest day from international travel in SJPP and then a 2-day walk over the mountain (with transport back to SJPP and then back up to Orisson the next am) -- we are inspired to do this- thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

thanks for any tips!
There is "Hotel des Pyrenees" which has a great location, but is way too expensive for me. It is a real four star hotel and restaurant. Rooms can be booked with booking.com.

in SJPP i stayed at Hotel Itzalpea. Would stay there again

thanks for any tips!

I quite enjoy my stays at Gite Makila in St Jean, which is almost next door to the Pilgrim Office there.

In Larrasoana, Casa Tau.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

thanks for any tips!
El Jardin de Muruzubal has both albergue (dormitory) beds and pension rooms. It is just before Puente la Reina and is a wonderful oasis - big beautiful yard/garden, very clean accommodations, pool, fantastic dinner and Alicia and Carlos are wonderful hosts. You can reserve ahead on booking.com or just call them. Alicia speaks English very well. I highly recommend it.

thanks for any tips!
Hi
I started to walk caminos when I was 60 and when I stayed in SJPP I used albergues and they were fine and they help to get you in the right spirit. I’ve done this route several times and when I leave sjpp I always stop at Orisson which breaks up the mountain journey.Also it’s safer than trying to do it in one day to Ronsevalles. When you get to Roncevalles then there are hotels etc to stay in. However there is a fabulous newish alberque which has great showers and the beds are set in pods of 4 so it can be quite private if you are with friends. You won’t have problems in getting nice accommodation in the other places. But if you can start your walk say on a Monday or Tuesday and try to avoid major holiday time
Gave a great time and enjoy the experience
I’m doing the Camino Del Salvador which will be different
Regards. Mike

El Jardin de Muruzubal has both albergue (dormitory) beds and pension rooms. It is just before Puente la Reina and is a wonderful oasis - big beautiful yard/garden, very clean accommodations, pool, fantastic dinner and Alicia and Carlos are wonderful hosts. You can reserve ahead on booking.com or just call them. Alicia speaks English very well. I highly recommend it.
thanks for recommendation, alas its booked. Was surprised to see so much is booked already- so Im starting to reserve using booking.com.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi
I started to walk caminos when I was 60 and when I stayed in SJPP I used albergues and they were fine and they help to get you in the right spirit. I’ve done this route several times and when I leave sjpp I always stop at Orisson which breaks up the mountain journey.Also it’s safer than trying to do it in one day to Ronsevalles. When you get to Roncevalles then there are hotels etc to stay in. However there is a fabulous newish alberque which has great showers and the beds are set in pods of 4 so it can be quite private if you are with friends. You won’t have problems in getting nice accommodation in the other places. But if you can start your walk say on a Monday or Tuesday and try to avoid major holiday time
Gave a great time and enjoy the experience
I’m doing the Camino Del Salvador which will be different
Regards. Mike
thanks! We are planning to break up the trek to Roncevalles. great tip about starting on a Mon or Tues- we're excited!

thanks for recommendation, alas its booked. Was surprised to see so much is booked already- so Im starting to reserve using booking.com.
Just because a place is unavailable on booking.com doesn't mean that it's already fully booked. It just means that the rooms that have been made available to Booking.com are reserved. I have been able to reserve places that aren't available on booking sites by calling or emailing them direct.

I did CF at the age of 53. Hotel Itzalpea the first night in SJPdP. Nothing fancy but nice an clean. Here is my mistake: I flew from US to Paris, took trains to SJPdP, arrived there in the evening and started my Camino the next morning. I had a reservation in Orrison but I arrived there pretty much exhausted. That was very surprising since I was generally in good shape, running 10k races, hiking, backpacking etc. And yet this not-so-difficult hike to Orrison ended up taxing me a little. I think this was my tiredness from the trip, the jet lag, etc. I see that you plan to stay a day at St. Jean - very smart move!
And my comment on the never-ending debate on boots-vs-shoes, hiking-vs-running. I always walk in hiking boots for two reasons. In soft shoes, like runners, I may bruise the soles of my feet on all the hard paths. Some of my Camino friends ended up buying hiking boots in Burgos, for that reason. Second, I always wear boots when hiking, because I am prone to losing my balance and rolling my ankles. A sprained ankle means the end of the Camino. A boot protects my ankles.
And one more advice to seniors - invest in good, solid hiking poles. They will save your knees!

Last edited:
How for is the SJPdP place from the Pilgrim's Office? Can you stay there for more than one night? Was planning on staying at Beilari for two nights but would like to try your place if it's close the the PO. Thank you. Will look for Akerretta. Thank you for that.

How for is the SJPdP place from the Pilgrim's Office? Can you stay there for more than one night? Was planning on staying at Beilari for two nights but would like to try your place if it's close the the PO. Thank you. Will look for Akerretta. Thank you for that.
Google Maps shows that Maison Donamaria is 650 meters from the Pilgrims Office
Screenshot_20200215-083744_Maps.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Probably a 10-15 minute walk. Just down the hill, passed the church, turn left. Five minutes along the river, (passed one bridge) then you come to a second bridge....cross it and the house sits right on the river.

Another vote for Hotel Itzalpea, and for trekking poles! It took me a few days to begin using them effectively but they really helped. I walked at age 62. The first two days (SJPP to Orisson, then to Roncesvalles) were the hardest of the whole Camino for me. Have a wonderful time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You could use Booking .com and gronzé.com and onlypilgrim. These sites give users reviews and you can make your own decisions. another site is euroski however that is only in Spanish.
I would advise you all to learn a bit of Spanish.. It weighs nothing to carry and can mean so much as you can relate to local people.

You have received a lot of great advice, and I am not sure that I can add anything meaningful, other than words of encouragement. I walked my first Camino Frances in 2015 at the age of 70. And my pack was somewhat over the highly touted 10% of body weight. When I depart SJPdP on 5 May I will be halfway from 75 to 76. And my pack weight will be about the same. I have walked both the Napoleon route and Valcarlos. And on the Napoleon route I stayed at Orisson. I plan my walks so that I cover about 20 - 22 km a day, only occasionally going 24 or 25. And I book ahead. Being an old guy, the bottom bunk means a lot. I have used Booking.com, Hotels.com, and Onlypilgrims.com with great success. Sometimes I have also booked directly with the albergue or Casa Rural. I cannot say enough good about Jesus at Onlypilgrims. For me, at least, the secret is taking it easy, planning each day, arriving early enough to enjoy the local sights...and to do my laundry! Buen Camino.

Last edited:

thanks for any tips!
I turned 72 on my camino last Sept/Oct 2019. I didn't stay in Albergues. Let me do a lookup where I stayed. I'll get back to you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I turned 72 on my camino last Sept/Oct 2019. I didn't stay in Albergues. Let me do a lookup where I stayed. I'll get back to you!
Here's where I stayed within the villages you mentioned. There were a couple that were outstanding that I sort of noted, but none of them was a dud at all.
Gure Lana – B&B – SJPP (great place!)

Apartamentos de Montana Mendiola 0 Casa Ferran – Valcarlos

Casa de los Beneficiados – Roncesvalles

Pensión Amets – Zubiri

Casa Batit – Viscarret-Guerendiain (great place!)

Casa Elita – Larrasoana

Hotel Tres Reyes – Pamplona

Hotel Jakue – Puente la Reina

thanks for any tips!
Highly recommend you contact Katherine at Follow the Camino and she will book your pensions/inns for you at the pace you desire, with breakfast and luggage transport. Additionally they send you detailed walking notes for each day, a training program and lots of great info. I’ve used them three times now (I’m 66 and doing the Frances in four segments) and they’re great! Thought I wanted to carry my entire pack the first time until I walked the hills between Sarria and Portomarin - couldn’t keep my balance going down even with poles. Called Katherine on a Friday afternoon at 3pm and she had luggage transport arranged before she went home that evening! I think you have to make your own reservation for Refuge Orisson if you want to stay there, or you can shuttle back to St Jean, stay there for the night, and shuttle back up to Orisson the next morning. Depending on the type of b&b/inn you want, about $80 a day or so and worth every penny. I chose standard pensions/inns, they were uniformly neat, clean, with excellent food. Buen Camino!

FYI--many alburgues have private rooms and sometimes even private rooms with a private bath. We stayed in a shared room at Orisson the first night and even though we didn't sleep well the experience was fantastic and was a perfect way to start our Camino. The second night we stayed at the huge monestary in Roncesvalles that has 2 bunk beds in a little cubical--we didn't like staying there because people left the windows open and it was very cold inside the dorm and the hot water ran out early in the afternoon. The rest of our Camino we stayed in private rooms in B&Bs, hostels, hotels and alburgues. Our average cost was about $40-50 per night which isn't bad for 2 people.

thanks for any tips!
Gare Luna in SJPdP - lovely hosts and B&B. Casa Los Bienificados in Roncesvalles (apartment and hotel). Hotel Akerreta in Akerreta. Wonderful owner and meals.

thanks for any tips!

I stayed in this place last year in SJPDP

It had a double bed and an ensuit bathroom. Just over 1km out of town on your way towards Roncevalles.

In the small pueblo of Muruzubal, just after the Alto del Perdon, is a wonderful place called El Jardin de Muruzubal run by husband and wife, Carlos and Alicia. While the do have albergue beds, one can get private rooms with bath there as well. It is incomparable.....the couple is most gracious and welcoming, they serve a fantastic meal (although I'm not sure these days), the grounds are fabulous for relaxing and they have a pool. I cannot recommend it highly enough!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
thanks, this is very encouraging. We are planning a rest day from international travel in SJPP and then a 2-day walk over the mountain (with transport back to SJPP and then back up to Orisson the next am) -- we are inspired to do this- thanks!
I was 69 when I hiked from SJPP to Roncesvalles. I reached Orisson in just over two hours and, having started early in the am on a lovely Sept morning I was glad I had decided to continue I reached my destination in just a bit over nine hours after I left SJPP. A lovely walk. I had trained a lot on uphills. It was definitely challenging but also doable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Maxsmom started this thread back in February - when the world was a very different place. We forget to check the date of posts and sometimes it can mislead us into thinking information is current.

I suggest anyone thinking of walking now look at this thread started by Ivar, who lives in Santiago and runs this forum.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back