• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senior woman on three month Camino - ?!

formysons

Time of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles - Santiago 2009; Portuguese, Ingles, Finesterre and Muxia - 2019.
Hi, I hope to walk the Camino for three months during summer of 2014, using interlinking routes. I will be turning 70 and walking on my own! Any suggestions?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Practice walking up and down hills when training.....I walked 2 hours daily when training but never trained enough on hills. Get used to using walking sticks, they are invaluable when you need an extra boost or something to help steady yourself on muddy paths or when walking on paths.

If you travel by train to or from the camino, you are entitled to a 25-40% discount for being over the age of 60. Ask for the "Tarjeta dorada." One of the perks of being senior! :)

Have a wonderful time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
hello formysons,

go for it, there are many senior peregrinos walking the camino de santiago. i walked my first camino, the camino frances in may/june 2012 when i was 69 of age. it took me 31 days.

then i walked my second camino, the camino de la plata during this past winter in february/march in 36 days. i have always walked alone at the beginning to eventually linked up with some camino family at the end. and i have just turned 70 recently.

walk at your own pace, this is your camino. when your feet or your body gets tired, it is time to stop for the stage and get a bed. do not over-extend yourself. you will be alright. you will have plenty of time to get to sdc. you will never be alone in the summer. you will be walking alone only if you preferred to be walking alone.

re the discount on the tarjeta dorada (golden card). this is a card issued by the spanish national railways RENFE, which will entitled anyone over the age of 60 to have a discount on purchase of tickets on spanish trains and cercanias (suburban trains). you will have to purchase the yearly discount card at a cost of 5.15 euros (valid for 1 year and can be renewed annually) by showing your id, preferrably your passport at any RENFE station. this card will entitled you to a discount of 40% on monday to thursday, and a discount of 25% from friday to sunday and any bank (public) holiday.

hope these info are helpful to you. give me a shout if i can be of assistance in any other ways.

maybe more specific on which suggestions are needed ?

as I can see you walked before, I assume you really don't need to be told to pack light...

assuming you are asking on routes to fill the 3 months it would be helpfull to know more about your won thoughts i think

What a wonderful person you are! 'formysons' .... aawww ... how sweet.

You haven't given much but you seem to be the sort of pilgrim that will do fine, fine! and you have given yourself true time, as much as you want and need - marvellous.

Will you be alone? You must be joking! they (the other pilgrims) will absolutely love you -

I met a stick-thin Frenchman once, in his nineties. He had been Caminoing for years. He stopped at my firstaid/English tea post and asked me to help him take off his rucksack. When he left he had to be helped into his rucksack - which was rather large and heavy. He apologised and explained that he could still walk the Camino but could no longer put on or take off the rucksack! He was marvellous and you, a youngster in his eyes, are marvellous - enjoy!

Buen Camino :wink:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for all the replies, greatly appreciated.
I will definitely train very hard on the hills and pack lightly, will try for 6kg pack!
I think I will start with the Via de La Plata then on to Finisterre and maybe Inglis from Santiago backwards, what do you think?
I do not want to plan too much, would like to stay over as and when I feel like it.
I know it is important to be able to speak some Spanish so I will have to work on that.
Last time I had a lot of trouble with blisters and my achilles tendon so will really have to get my feet in tip top shape.
Thank you so much for the advice re the "tarjeta dorada", I will most certainly buy one of those.
I know it is still a long way off but I am already getting so excited about the dream becoming a reality, of course anything can happen to make me not go, like illness or worse but all things staying as they are I will be going!!!!
I will be asking many more questions and advice before then, I already feel so connected to you all because of this wonderful experience we all love.
On my Camino notebook I have written the following : "EL CAMINO ES UNA DROGA"

hello formysons,

yes the camino is a drug. it is very addictive for many peregrinos who keep on returning to the camino year after year. i personally am planning my next camino, caminho portugues, hopefully soon.

you are wise to think about doing the camino de la plata in the summer. it is a beautiful camino all the way from sevilla to sdc. take your time to visit all the beautiful cities and pueblos. it is also a lot less crowded as compared to camino frances. if you are a history buff, you will enjoy sevilla, italica, merida, caceres, salamanca, zamora and many more places.

god bless.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back