• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seniors on the Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will be walking from Sarria starting September 1, 2017. I am a woman 71 years old. Are there any other seniors who will be on the Camino during that time?

Not sure if 67 and 66 is considered "senior" , some think not. We will be starting in August on our 2nd Camino Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, since I don't really consider myself "senior" you definitely shouldn't. Hope we meet on the Camino...
I'm sorry I miss understood you post, when you said other seniors I thought you were referencing that you were a senior. If you don't consider yourself a senior then I guess my question is what do you consider a senior and why were you inquiring about seniors. The short answer is yes, I met people in their 80's, they did fine.

I'm sorry I miss understood you post, when you said other seniors I thought you were referencing that you were a senior. If you don't consider yourself a senior then I guess my question is what do you consider a senior and why were you inquiring about seniors. The short answer is yes, I met people in their 80's, they did fine.
I just meant that even though I am 71 and supposedly considered "senior " I feel as if I am in my 30's. Young st heart! I am looking for people in my age group that feel as I do.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just meant that even though I am 71 and supposedly considered "senior " I feel as if I am in my 30's. Young st heart! I am looking for people in my age group that feel as I do.
If you do not find like people, the young ones along the Way will surprise you at their willingness to befriend you. It is amazing how young and "mature" trekkers blend together. We still keep in contact many months later :) Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had the most fun time with my 30ish group and my elders 80 and up. I turned 60 arriving in Santiago in 2012.
The youngens kept me smiling all day long and the ribbing went on and on...still keep on touch. My elders entertained me with their stories and out walked me for the most part.
Kind of sitting in the middle I got the best of both age groups.

Doesn't say much for my peers....they yammered too much. etc etc.

I'm in my mid-50's and I found myself walking mostly with pilgrims in their 20's and 30's. Then you find yourself at a communal meal with pilgrims younger and older than you. Everybody just hanging out, breaking bread.
Age doesn't really seem to be an issue on the Camino. Can't say I really notice it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I just meant that even though I am 71 and supposedly considered "senior " I feel as if I am in my 30's.

My last post before leaving for central Europe.

I will soon be 71, and that is exactly the way I view things! AND I'm proud of each gray hair on my head. (I can probably tell you how I earned each one, too! :))

But I happily accept every Senior Discount that comes my way... ;)

Last edited:
Hola @Chopra given that the oldest Camino Frances walker was late 89's or even early 90's 71 or 72 is still young. Don't worry about ages of your fellow senior pilgrims just find someone who walks at or about your pace, likes the same wines & foods as you and is someone you can communicate with! ( does this help?)

C.F. is a 780km outdoor senior citizen center.
Buen camino.
Man is not old when his hair turns grey
Man is not old when his teeth decay
But man must prepare for the great long sleep
When his mind makes appointments that his body cant keep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,keep walking ,Buen Camino ,
Paddy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will be walking from Sarria starting September 1, 2017. I am a woman 71 years old. Are there any other seniors who will be on the Camino during that time?
Of course , I am 72 and on my 10th. Camino and plan to keep on as long as I can. My only problem is hills due to being born with one lung smaller than usual. But with a puffer am able to do the hills. Fear not you will see many of us on the journey.

Approx 25% of peregrinos starting from St Jean are retirees, but as everyone has said, age is barely relevant on the Camino. In fact, it is surprising how many young people will start a conversation with you and in five minutes you are the best of friends

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes you will be one of very many and you have many years in front of you to go Camino-ing. I did my first from St Jean to Finisterre at age 79
Ultrea and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes you will be one of very many and you have many years in front of you to go Camino-ing. I did my first from St Jean to Finisterre at age 79
Ultrea and Buen Camino

Wow! You're amazing! I'm only going from Sarria (and I'm having my luggage transported). How many times have you done it? If I see I am physically able to do more than I am doing this year I would like to do it from St. Jean.

We just returned from a three-week guided tour of central Europe. This was an active tour -- we walked an average of eight miles per day. One day we walked thirteen miles. I quickly re-confirmed that I can walk all day long; I just cannot tolerate long periods of standing, particularly on hard surfaces. I also learned that multiple days of trekking/standing on cobblestone are very hard on the knees/ankles. :oops::(

Anyhoo, the oldest people on the tour, a couple, were 86. They climbed stairs a little slower than the rest of us, but easily kept pace on the flats and downhills. :)

Oh I wish you were walking on the 21 September - I’d be thrilled to walk with you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Young / Old ... Black / White ... Rich / Poor, doesn't matter on Camino, you are all sharing an amazing journey. Walk with an open heart, be a friend. Buen Camino

Why define yourself by age? Be friendly, helpful and kind and see what happens. My wife and I finished walking from Carrion a few weeks ago and had a blast. I talked with whoever was interested. Some wanted to move on and some didn’t.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back