• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept 2017 CF...need timing input

AlexanderAZ

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 (Sept/Oct): CF: SJPdP-->Fisterra-->Muxia (solo)
2019 (late Sept): CF: SJPdP-->Leon (honeymoon!)
Planning to do SJPdP to Fisterra with my Dad mid-Sept (2017) start. We are not bound by an external schedule. I'm having a bit of difficulty in figuring out the exact number of days so we can purchase our plane tickets. We are both in excellent health and very active although we want to roll at a casual pace, allow for time off from walking, etc. He will be turning 72 while we are on our journey and is very much a stop-and-smell-the-roses walker. We both prefer visiting with folks as opposed to touring big city touristy type things. I know an option is to buy a return flight once we are in Spain but we prefer to have pre-purchased tickets. Thank in advance for feedback on how I might determine how many days to allot for our journey.

AlexanderAZ

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Planning to do SJPdP to Fisterra with my Dad mid-Sept (2017) start. We are not bound by an external schedule. I'm having a bit of difficulty in figuring out the exact number of days so we can purchase our plane tickets. We are both in excellent health and very active although we want to roll at a casual pace, allow for time off from walking, etc. He will be turning 72 while we are on our journey and is very much a stop-and-smell-the-roses walker. We both prefer visiting with folks as opposed to touring big city touristy type things. I know an option is to buy a return flight once we are in Spain but we prefer to have pre-purchased tickets. Thank in advance for feedback on how I might determine how many days to allot for our journey.

AlexanderAZ[/QUOTE
Alexander welcome to the forum.
You are asking the most difficult question to answer. The best answer is give yourself 42 days, because no one can determine the things that may slow you down. Many start but a good number develop physical issues that slow them down. With 42 days no pressure & if you get done a week or 2 sooner many options!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think that planning on 42 days is a good idea. I walked SJPDP to Finisterre in 36 days, including a rest day in León.

I would suggest to multiply 20km by walking days available ;-) So 40 days, if you start in SJPdP and end up in Santiago would give you plenty of leeway, 3-5 more days for the detour to Finisterrs/Muxia. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I planned 6 weeks from leaving to returning home. The walking took me 36 days including two rest days. We arrived in Santiago on a Thursday and my flight home was the next Tuesday, so I had a long weekend in Santiago. On Monday I took the train to Madrid for the return flight. In essence I had three days of buffer in my schedule. I recommend padding the end of your schedule at least a few days to give you some flexibility.

I'm planning to start Sept 13 from SJPdP and giving myself 6 weeks to reach Santiago. I plan to be much like your father and smell the roses.

First figure out how many ks you can walk on an average day. Dividing that into 800ks gives you the actual walking days you will need.
I wanted one day off per week. That works out like, Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and one other I've forgotten. And you'll need a couple of days in Santiago at the end.
The roses are pretty sweet and need a fair bit of smelling.
Good travelling and buen Camino
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks, Gerard, and others for the replies. Therein lies my dilemma...what we *can* do versus what would be the best smell-the-roses pace. The former has the father telling the son he's missed roses. The Camino is going to be my best attempt to not miss any roses.

No wonder you are having trouble figuring this out. How many days it will take you will depend on the pace of a person you've met and want to walk with a bit, or on the stomach bug one of you catches and has you no further than a few steps from the loo for a few days. Plan for something that feels comfortable, add in a few days in case of a stomach bug, and if you are left with too many days get on a bus or a train and go spend a few days on the coast by Cee, O Grove, etc.

And please, do not plan on buying your return flight while en route, unless you have money to burn, in which case I can think of a few charities that could use that money. ;)

I think that planning on 42 days is a good idea. I walked SJPDP to Finisterre in 36 days, including a rest day in León.
Amazing the people you find with the same pace. My only regret was not going to Muxia & then on to Finnesterre.
So darn I have to plan a Camino Madrid to Leon to Santiago to Muxia next. That area & ocean is calling me back.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Madrid is a beautiful city

Granada is steeped in history.

Cordova was once the seat of the Western Caliphate.

If you have a few days extra in your schedule, I'm sure you could find something to fill the time.

Perhaps you should ask your father how many roses he plans to smell! :p Also, even a fairly minor ailment can mean that you'd not enjoy walking 20 km that day.

All you can do is make your best guess and add a few days for buffer, to be enjoyed however you want at the end, if you haven't used them. Don't forget the travel day to your start, and one to your departure flight. Add some sight seeing in Santiago and Madrid (if you go through there).

That adds up to 6 weeks or more, very quickly!

Another thing you may want to consider is that some Albergues will begin to close after September. We walked about an average of 10 miles per day on average which gave plenty of time for seeing the sights. We also stayed in more small towns and often off the stages listed in the various guides.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We do a Casual Camino, some days only 15km. So my roommate booked her trip for 60 days and pre-booked her flights. She walked the camino at her pace, spent a few days in Santiago, went out to Finnisterre and once she returned to Santiago, she had a few days left so she picked a section of the Norte she wanted to see and walked that section until her flight.

My philosophy is the longer the better!

Another thing you may want to consider is that some Albergues will begin to close after September. We walked about an average of 10 miles per day on average which gave plenty of time for seeing the sights. We also stayed in more small towns and often off the stages listed in the various guides.
I walked until the end of October and don't recall seeing any closed albergues. I wonder if the closure time is getting pushed later into the year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back