• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept 2019 Walk Set, Any 'Do Not Miss This' suggestion?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
This September I will walk my 5th camino, brining along a friend on her first. As we both are dealing with limited time this year, it's been narrowed to the Camino Ingles. We are arriving in A Coruna, but will bus to Ferro the following day and begin from there.

As it is a very short Camino, I would like to soak in every possible experience ( and provide that to a first time walker ). Are there pilgrim masses, historical/religious sites, restaurants not to miss?

Thanking you all ahead for your words of experience and wisdom...
...as you walk, the way will appear....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you have time then explore the city of Betanzos. (We took a 'day off' there.) Several churches, all worth visiting, and the Pasatiempo Gardens. The church in the town centre had the sello when we were there. Ask about Mass times at the Tourist Office, also in the centre.
Buen Camino

I second the O Pasatempo recommendation. We spent a wonderful few hours there. The CSJ guide describes it as “a rural Victorian theme park, with mosaic sculptures a la Gaudi, a greenhouse of exotic plans, giant sculptures of wonders like airplanes, lions, pyramids and a monumental relief map of the Panama Canal.” Gives you a fun taste of history and the Spanish imperium, as seen through Victorian eyes. Definitely unusual. If that’s your cup of tea, of course. . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Betanzos stop at the tourism office (right in the main square, in front of the taxi stand) to make sure Parque Pasatempo is open when you visit. It’s closed currently as they have been making (much needed!) repairs. Hopefully it is open when you are there because it really is a very unique experience!!

Don’t miss coffee or lunch at Meson-Museo,in Presedo - unique.
When are you going?
We leave Ferrol on Tuesday 10 th September- you won’t miss us - 16 in all.
Buen Camino.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I saw your group intentions somewhere in a previous post and changed my dates...LOL Really didn't want to get caught up in someone's large group. I'm only leaving the US on the 13th...plan to begin walking from Ferrol on the 16th ( which will be my 61st birthday! )
Wishing every one of you a Buen Camino !

** thank you for the tip!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think a hidden jewel is Miño. If you love the beach, even in September it will be nice, if nothing else to walk on! We had a fabulous meal at the Mesón Criso in town too! Here are photos for you to see: Day Three Camino Inglés.

I also second the Mesón Museo in Presedo! Stop there for a break, even if you are walking through. It is right along the Camino.

Train from La Coruna to Ferrol is a more picturesque journey than the bus. You also cover many of the Ingles route you will walk back on. In La Coruna, walk out to see the Roman lighthouse, the Tower of Hercules.

If you do have time, as Elle says above, stay in Mino. The Ingles route runs about 2km from the beach, but you would never know you were so near, because it is not apparent.

One thing to note is that there is not the infrastructure on the Ingles that there is on the Frances. You can easily walk 2 hours between restaurants, bars and shops, especially on the two guidebook stages from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma and thence to Sigueiro. If you do not have water, food and other provisions with you to eat along the way, the Ingles is not enjoyable.

Whilst on Sigueiro, the Ingles walks passed a lovely public swimming pool on the way into the town. If you have room for a swimsuit, you will not regret.

I think a hidden jewel is Miño. If you love the beach, even in September it will be nice, if nothing else to walk on! We had a fabulous meal at the Mesón Criso in town too! Here are photos for you to see: Day Three Camino Inglés.

I also second the Mesón Museo in Presedo! Stop there for a break, even if you are walking through. It is right along the Camino.
Thank you...and thank you for sharing your blog. I'm in love with those giant hydrangeas in Spain and glad to see I'm not the only one thinking they are photo worthy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Train from La Coruna to Ferrol is a more picturesque journey than the bus. You also cover many of the Ingles route you will walk back on. In La Coruna, walk out to see the Roman lighthouse, the Tower of Hercules.

If you do have time, as Elle says above, stay in Mino. The Ingles route runs about 2km from the beach, but you would never know you were so near, because it is not apparent.

One thing to note is that there is not the infrastructure on the Ingles that there is on the Frances. You can easily walk 2 hours between restaurants, bars and shops, especially on the two guidebook stages from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma and thence to Sigueiro. If you do not have water, food and other provisions with you to eat along the way, the Ingles is not enjoyable.

Whilst on Sigueiro, the Ingles walks passed a lovely public swimming pool on the way into the town. If you have room for a swimsuit, you will not regret.

Thank you for your reply...would you know if the train schedule is operating with options on the weekend? I was told by another that the busses offer more routes/departures to Ferrol. I'm interested in a more picturesque ride if it's possible. Thank you.

Speaking to the lack of accommodations...I have a very restrictive diet, so have had to carry food and drinks on all of my camino, but thank you as it will help my new camino walker companion.

www.renfe.com is the Spanish train website. Buses are quicker and more frequent, but I found the slower, more picturesque train journey much more pleasant, and you have your luggage in front of you at all times, as opposed to down in a hold.

Just enter A Coruna and Ferrol and the date you want to go and you find the train times. September is too far ahead to obtain train times now, but for example; on Saturdays now, there are trains at 08.57 and 10.50, and on Sundays at 10.50. Journey time is about an hour and a quarter. Therefore, look at the times about a month before you are due to travel. No need to book trains in advance, just buy a ticket from the ticket machines at the station (there is an English option button).

If you need to take your food with you, beware there are basically no shops at all between Betanzos and Sigueiro. Ferrol has a very good supermarket in the basement of El Corte Ingles on the main shopping street. Most supermarkets are closed on Sundays and many do not open till 10am in the morning.

Don’t miss coffee or lunch at Meson-Museo,in Presedo - unique.
When are you going?
We leave Ferrol on Tuesday 10 th September- you won’t miss us - 16 in all.
Buen Camino.
16 of you? Better get to those albergues sharpish!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
16 of you? Better get to those albergues sharpish!

One alburgue only has 16 beds...what's to become of solo walkers? On one of my camino, I got tangled in with a large group of walkers who descended upon small villages, albergue's, tiny local convenience stores in swarms...hoarding items, 'saving' spaces at tables and beds. It was very unpleasant and did not at all seem fair. It was as if I was at odds with a tour group, not fellow pilgrims. I'm not attributing these behaviors to this group because I don't know them. But I do feel that groups that large walking together should be considered as a commercial tour.
Having said all that, I rearranged my departure dates to avoid what I found unpleasant and unfair. I've removed myself from having to deal with it and just hope that they are fair and kind to those they do encounter.

www.renfe.com is the Spanish train website. Buses are quicker and more frequent, but I found the slower, more picturesque train journey much more pleasant, and you have your luggage in front of you at all times, as opposed to down in a hold.

Just enter A Coruna and Ferrol and the date you want to go and you find the train times. September is too far ahead to obtain train times now, but for example; on Saturdays now, there are trains at 08.57 and 10.50, and on Sundays at 10.50. Journey time is about an hour and a quarter. Therefore, look at the times about a month before you are due to travel. No need to book trains in advance, just buy a ticket from the ticket machines at the station (there is an English option button).

If you need to take your food with you, beware there are basically no shops at all between Betanzos and Sigueiro. Ferrol has a very good supermarket in the basement of El Corte Ingles on the main shopping street. Most supermarkets are closed on Sundays and many do not open till 10am in the morning.
Thank you @peb !

Take a tram ride along the seafront in A Coruna before you leave the city - they are old and British! http://www.galiciaguide.com/Coruna-tram.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it is good weather the beach at Cabanas (back across the road bridge from Pontedeume) is very pleasant, with beach front restaurants to enjoy the view from. It's a touch cold but a dip after long day's walk is very refreshing!

View attachment 51521
I live in the Northeastern part of the USA. where the same Atlantic Ocean blesses our shores. It's not a beach day until you put your feet in the water ,sending shocks up your legs and your lips turn blue! LOL A touch cold might be a touch of home!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back