• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept - Camino Portugues Coastal

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
September Coastal Camino

I haven’t walked the Coastal Route from Porto, but as we were re-organizing the “Routes in Portugal“ sub-forum recently, I learned that there is a difference between the “coastal” route and the “littoral” route, even though the words mean the same thing.

Many of you already know this, but for those who don’t — the littoral route is the one that is actually on the sand/boardwalk, while the Coastal route is a short distance away.

Take a look at this map, and you can see that the two routes intersect frequently (presumably those intersections are where the services are) and that you can choose to hop back and forth between them.

Should be beautiful in September! Bom caminho, Laurie

I haven’t walked the Coastal Route from Porto, but as we were re-organizing the “Routes in Portugal“ sub-forum recently, I learned that there is a difference between the “coastal” route and the “littoral” route, even though the words mean the same thing.

Many of you already know this, but for those who don’t — the littoral route is the one that is actually on the sand/boardwalk, while the Coastal route is a short distance away.

Take a look at this map, and you can see that the two routes intersect frequently (presumably those intersections are where the services are) and that you can choose to hop back and forth between them.

This blog has some good information about which route to choose on the Portuguese Camino. Including a handy flow chart.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Moved my start 3 times this year and finally decided on either May or September 2022 ! Please post your journey. Want to hear the good and bad.

Another 'maybe' here. Depends on how 'open' other EU countries are.
Did you already buy your ticket?

Purchased tickets a few days ago... Charlottesville, Va round trip to Barcelona for 3 days. Also, bought a Vueling Air ticket - Barcelona to Porto & Santiago to Barcelona - never flown Vueling, but the direct flights hooked me. Although I'd prefer to not be tied to prebooked accommodations probably going to book ahead this trip.

Thanks for sharing the great map... I've been reading about the Litoral and Coastal route options - looking forward walking parts of each.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We just booked our flights and will be walking out of Porto 9/25. Let the planning begin! One thing we're having a tough time figuring out is how to get from the Senda Litoral on the first day out of Porto over to the Camino Central starting day two. We also think Porto-Vila do Conde may be too long a first day. Any ideas?

Walking out of Porto on Sept 21 - planning on 12 days to Santiago...

Who else is planning a September Coastal Camino???

Bom Caminho!!!
I am, hopefully mid month. Will be walking in short stages so you’ll probably pass us by!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can walk from Porto to Matosinhos and stay overnight there, then walk the next day to Vilo do Conde. Or you can take the metro to Matosinhos. Some people walk to Matosinhos, the take the metro back to Porto for an extra night there, then metro back to Matosinhos the next morning.
From Vilo do Conde you can cut over to Rates and join the central route. The tourist office in Vilo do Conde gave us an excellent map.

We walked the littoral to enjoy the ocean view and because the sea breezes help cool you down in hot weather. My wife calls it "God's air conditioning."

The Windy-Maps app shows all the Camino routes, including the connector from Vila do Conde to the Central route, as you can see on this screenshot. The Camino routes are the dark blue lines.

Screenshot_20210530-070742_Windy Maps.jpg

Bom Caminho!!!
I am planning to go to do my first camino that i am dreaming of forever! But not sure if beginning of september the costal albergues etc will all be open because of this Covid.

The Windy-Maps app shows all the Camino routes, including the connector from Vila do Conde to the Central route, as you can see on this screenshot. The Camino routes are the dark blue lines.

View attachment 101393

Thank you! I knew I could count on this group :)

Question the route on bronze is the Coastal route not the littoral route, is my assumption correct?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I thoroughly enjoyed a bit of the coastal route out of Porto, but after having just completed the stunning Fisherman's Trail prior, with outstanding repeated cliff views of the ocean, I was more than ready to turn inland at Vila de Conde for a slightly more "Frances" feel of the Camino.

This map is very helpful. Is there a similar one for further north? Depending on physical conditioning, late September is a slim possibility but Spring '22 is more likely. Gear is accumulating nicely. These preps are not unlike voyage planning but without the boat.

I am leaning predominantly toward the littoral route.

Drew

(formerly Ancient Mariner & El Diablo in my quest for a suitable moniker & avatar - settled now)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm a firm maybe. 😄

Bom Caminho!!!
I will be close behind you, leaving Porto on the 23rd. As was suggested, I am staying in Porto 2 nights and my first day will walk to Matosinhos and take the Metro back and start from Matosinhos the following day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.