• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept-Oct Weather in the Meseta (Burgos to Leon) How was it?

Olivares

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
Did you walked between Burgos and Leon during September or October? How was it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have walked 3 times across the Messta from mid September onwards. In 2009 the weather was mixed and great for walking. In 2011 it was unseasonably hot and last year, 2012, it rained! Who can really say what the weather will be like! Anne

Olivares -

Going from memory, I walked this particular area from about Oct 12 through 20 last year - - give me a day's error either side of that, okay?

Simply put, I never needed the prescription sunglasses that I bought specifically for the Meseta.

It was generally grey, overcast and windy with the exception of the walk from Boadilla del Camino (recommended) to Carrion de los Condes where I stayed with the nuns (also recommended).

Then we were rained on most of each day until Leon. The kind of rain that determines what is really "waterproof"... and what is not!

Temperatures were not too cool... unless you were out on the road at 5:30, you would never know that you could see your breath in your headlamp some mornings.

I do not think you can expect a direct repeat of the weather described but it could only get marginally worse at that time of year.

I hope this does NOT put you off going at that time. The Meseta MADE my Camino. Not that I recognized it until later but, it was hugely important to my education.

Buen Camino!

Brendan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the meseta in the fall and it was beautiful , the wide open spaces and rolling hills of wheat felt like home to me.

I walked the Meseta in early November 2012. Variable weather. Some days clear some days socked in with rain. Temperatures varied from frost in the morning to shirt sleeves in the afternoon. It never got really warm enough to be able to take a long break without getting cold.

Between Hornillos and Hontanas the wind got cold and I didn't want to put my pack down on the muddy ground long enough to put on my raincoat. The ground was muddy because it had rained all day the day before. It was a clear cool fall day. I was borderline hypothermic due to wind chill by the time I got to Hontanas. I had started in Burgos and ran out of energy. I had hot tea, a hot shower, and spent a couple hours in my sleeping bag, but I didn't get warm again till I had supper.

WIND!! That's what I remember most. 40 mph gales, that completely knocked the stuffing out of us for a couple of days . Then it was mixed. Cold in the mornings, some rain, not much, and sunshine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Meseta from 16 October onwards last year. I had about 3 days of torrential, driving rain but after that it was fine and good walking weather - cool but not too cold.

I walked from Burgos to Leon last September between the 16 and 22nd. There were certainly some warm days, but no scorchers. Not much wind and rain only on the day that I was arriving in Leon-- for about an hour and a half. It was actually pouring upon my arrival for about 20 minutes, but cleared up for the two days I was in Leon, then sprinkled for a couple of hours the day I left (it was also incredibly windy that day-- hard to go forward). I had no more rain or wind, to speak of, till the last couple of days of my Camino. I loved the meseta-- and September seems as good a time to go as any.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This first-hand account are really helpful, hopefully not only to me but many others who may be pondering right now on Fall weather. Keep the testimonials coming-- so far, Sept is promising.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
it´s almost always windy for at least part of the day, all year around.
It is said "the landscape of Castilla is in the sky." Summer and Fall bring huge skies full of fabulous clouds and colors, including the brightest, clearest blue you ever saw. The meseta is pretty high-altitude, and the air is clean and clear.

In September and into October, the meseta is dusty brown, as the fields are all cut and the stubble is dried out. When the wind blows, the whole world is coated in golden brown. It´s a mercy when the rain starts up, because it tamps down the dust and gets the winter catch-crops growing. By November the fields are green again, and continue that way right through July.

IMHO, the months of August, September, and into October are where people get the impression the meseta is a great desert. The rest of the year it´s really pretty nice out here.

fortview said:
WIND!! That's what I remember most. 40 mph gales, that completely knocked the stuffing out of us for a couple of days . Then it was mixed. Cold in the mornings, some rain, not much, and sunshine.

Yes, at times so strong that all I could do is to force my walking stick into the ground to hold on. After Moratinos, the temperatures dropped and Fall had arrived.

I loved Rebekah's description.. she lives on the Meseta and has seen and experienced it all. One day, I would love to walk the Meseta when it is lushly green and growing.

Hi Olivares,
I walked the Meseta 12-19th. September last. I didn't need my waterproofs once, and the only thing that bugged me on one of the stages were the flies! A digger hat would have come in handy then. Can't say I experienced much in the line of wind, it seemed pretty calm with light welcome breezes every now and then, but I live beside the Atlantic, so what might seem light and breezy to me could seem like something much stronger for someone else :lol: The landscape was pretty dry and hard straw remained where fields had been harvested.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Meseta in early September last year and the weather was excellent. Warm and sunny mostly with some light winds. Really enjoyed my time there even though I picked up my only blister of the trip on the old roman road between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. Fabulous views of the Cordillera Cantabries made it all worth while. :D

Nothing life first-hand experiences!!! THANK YOU!!!

Did you walked between Burgos and Leon during September or October? How was it?
It was hot and dry (35'C) The Meseta was beautiful. Immense skies , wonderful dawns. Accommodation is sparse but albergues were nice and friendly. Provisions hard to come by and make sure you carry plenty of cash as ATMs rare. But this is the real Spain. Weather changed in Oct just after making Santiago. Can imagine Meseta has beauty in most weather conditions

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An update: encouraged by posted info, I ended up walking the Meseta the first week of October 2013. Cool mornings, pleasant, the days were beautiful, not too hot. No rain. Not too crowded, after Fromista it got even less crowded. Most Albergues opened (St. Bol closed), but some limited the number of beds available. Strongly recommend the Fall on the Meseta.

This first-hand account are really helpful, hopefully not only to me but many others who may be pondering right now on Fall weather. Keep the testimonials coming-- so far, Sept is promising.
just back my sis and i left on 11th of sept and i got back 3 days ago 18th oct my sis is in finnesterra today ,, we had super weather up until the last 4 days into santiago it rained non stop ,, but linda had great weather for the last few days and said it was a really beautiful walk,,best of luck,and in short the weather was great for us.

I walked the Meseta in early September last year and the weather was excellent. Warm and sunny mostly with some light winds. Really enjoyed my time there even though I picked up my only blister of the trip on the old roman road between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. Fabulous views of the Cordillera Cantabries made it all worth while. :D
oh that roman road brought out some harsh language from us o_Othe FLYS drove us nuts!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back