• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept Vs March for 2 weeks into Santiago

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
Sept vs March? Thanks to the lovely people who responded to my previous question (I hope it isn't terribly obvious that I have never used a forum before...hope I am not breaching etiquette, and feel free to tell me if I am).

I have realised that given my job as a teacher, coming all the way from Australia, I am probably going to travel and do my precious 2 1/2 weeks in either March or September. Is there a big difference weather wise if I am attempting that last approx. 300 km to end in Santiago if I choose March vs Sept? Thanks again. (I will get around to re-reading other people's relevant posts, but there are SO many I thought it would help if I can get my location and approx dates sorted before I dive in!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Weather/landscape wise there is the difference between (perhaps coolish) spring and (perhaps hottish) autumn/fall ;-)

Easter Sunday 2017 is 16th April, so if you happen to be close to Santiago in the week leading up to that date it will be VERY busy. If not it should be, most likely, quite but with enough company.

September has become a very favorite months to walk the Camino, so you will have more company then.

Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY

Weather/landscape wise there is the difference between (perhaps coolish) spring and (perhaps hottish) autumn/fall ;-)

Easter Sunday 2017 is 16th April, so if you happen to be close to Santiago in the week leading up to that date it will be VERY busy. If not it should be, most likely, quite but with enough company.

September has become a very favorite months to walk the Camino, so you will have more company then.

Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY
I hadn't thought about Easter! Shows what an amateur I am. It is actually Sept 17 or March 18, with March more likely, so I should check there isn't a really early Easter. Thanks!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Spring! Choose spring! Nature just waking up after the winter, spring flowers all over the place, a little more light and a little more warmth every day...

Also, the people who live along the Camino are less likely to be fed up with the hordes of summer pilgrims...

I hadn't thought about Easter! Shows what an amateur I am. It is actually Sept 17 or March 18, with March more likely, so I should check there isn't a really early Easter. Thanks!!!

Fwiw, I'm going in March. We may hit some snow, but I'll take that over the overcrowding of summer and early fall. :)

Fwiw, I'm going in March. We may hit some snow, but I'll take that over the overcrowding of summer and early fall. :)
Snow! I am from the sub tropics....this is going to take some preparation! And a down sleeping bag because I am a frog (I feel the cold, if that doesn't translate from Australian!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Spring! Choose spring! Nature just waking up after the winter, spring flowers all over the place, a little more light and a little more warmth every day...

Also, the people who live along the Camino are less likely to be fed up with the hordes of summer pilgrims...
So, someone else mentioned snow! I hadn't thought of that...being from subtropical Australia spring equals warmer weather. I haven't got much flexibility in timing so I may just have to start researching how to deal with the cold

Unless it is a freak winter the only place you might encounter snow in March is around O Cebreiro ;-) The rest is just coolish/rainy and even sometimes sunny. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I too have walked the entire Camino Frances in Sept/Oct and April/May. I would definitely recommend you go in September. It was cold and wet enough starting in mid-April. We encountered a blizzard at Cruz de Fero in early May. Packing for the cold and wet will make you pack a lot heavier also. Keep in mind that some albergues will not be open until April.

I've only walked late August/September, but I made my decision based on weather. I wanted to avoid taking extra layers and most importantly I wanted as little rain as possible. Other than avoiding getting wet, you just can't see that much while it's raining. I only had a couple of days of rain during my 30+ days walking, and I remember being in Ponferrada, on a drizzly day, and missing seeing all the Spanish families out in the plazas in the evenings.

I've only walked late August/September, but I made my decision based on weather. I wanted to avoid taking extra layers and most importantly I wanted as little rain as possible. Other than avoiding getting wet, you just can't see that much while it's raining. I only had a couple of days of rain during my 30+ days walking, and I remember being in Ponferrada, on a drizzly day, and missing seeing all the Spanish families out in the plazas in the evenings.
You made some good points that I forgot to mention. When we walked in the spring and it was cold, everyone would just go and hunker down where they were staying. In September all the pilgrims were sitting outside in those red plastic chairs having a vino. It was my favorite part of the day and I missed it in the spring.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You made some good points that I forgot to mention. When we walked in the spring and it was cold, everyone would just go and hunker down where they were staying. In September all the pilgrims were sitting outside in those red plastic chairs having a vino. It was my favorite part of the day and I missed it in the spring.
Exactly

Muddy paths or dusty paths? You choose!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.