• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2012

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hi Everyone,

This September I am planning on walking the Camino de Santiago. It will be my second time walking the Camino Frances route. The first time I walked the Camino it was in April of 2011. What will the weather be like in September? And, will there be a lot of people walking the Camino in September/October? Thanks for any advice you can share. :D

Buen Camino,

C-rad
Los Angeles, CA
USA

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Crad - Sept '11 weather was divine - I will be going again end of Aug, 2013, hopeful to be so lucky again! http://www.independenttraveler.com/dest ... ip-reviews
Here's my Trip Report about the journey - we saw not one cloudy day, not one drop of rain, hardly a cloud in the sky (9/1-9/9) until the final day - deepest fog I've ever seen and unholy rain; we followed a somber funeral procession during our Bus ride out of Finisterre in the pouring rain. Blessed not to be on the trail that day, but it was ALL Just Lovely/An Epic Journey! Buen Camino!! :arrow:
LMC

I plan to fly out of Canada on Sept 11 to land in Paris and train to Bayonne, then bus to SJPP.
Will be walking alone. Am a 60 year old male, first time pilgrim. For the last year, our walking group has been hiking 4K every morning. I feel fit but must crank it up to 15 - 20 plus K's daily. Have been planing for several months. This forum has had marvelous ideas. Will be shopping at Mountain Equipment Co-op in Toronto when I'm in town on March 7th. Need all the suggested light weight gear. Have been collecting lots of goodies. Trying to keep the weight down.

First heard of the Camino on a CBC radio show where they interviewed a violinist (Oliver Schroer) who had walked it in 2004 with his instrument and an MP3 recorder. He played and recorded in the Cathedrals along the way. The program featured a chat and his recordings. Schroer died in 2008.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/music/story ... hroer.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, C-rad!

I have walked the Camino Frances twice in September-October, in 2010 and last year in 2011. Both years, it was a beautiful golden time of year to walk, I loved it. I started on Sept. 15th the first time and Sept. 24th the second. The weather was quite hot at the start, temperature in the 30s by afternoon (umm, so about 95-100F?). Walking up to Alto del Perdon from Cizur Menor was a very hot day, and there were a few days on the Meseta that were hot as well. Last year I left the albergues earlier in the morning than I did my first year (last year I usually started by about 7:15-7:30am). I discovered I like to get much of my walking done before the heat of the day kicks in at around 11am.

In 2010 I experienced about 4 or 5 days of rain, I think. It poured rain on the way from Orisson to Roncesvalles -- slippery on the descent through the beech woods! It was difficult to get my clothes dry between Roncesvalles and Pamplona because although it didn't rain, the sky was overcast every day -- not enough sun to dry the clothes. There was also a wild, wild wind and rainstorm the day I walked from Castrojeriz to Boadilla. (Crazy!) However, opposite to what I'd read and been told ("It will pour rain every day in Galicia!"), the last 7 days of walking were under beautiful sunny skies, not a drop of rain. Frost on the ground, yes! But nice and dry. I arrived in Santiago on October 21st.

In 2011 I again experienced rain crossing from SJPP to Roncesvalles (I did it all in one day), but the sun did peek through for a short while at the top, fun to actually be able to see some of what had been hidden by mist and fog before! It rained on the morning I left Castrojeriz, until I got to the top of the tabletop hill. It rained again on the way up to O Cebreiro (that was beautiful). And when I really got into Galicia, it POURED rain! I came to understand what people mean when they say it rains in Galicia :). But it was fun, mostly (haha). I got to Santiago on October 25th. It rained solidly from the 23rd to the 25th. I waited in Santiago for three days, where it continued to pour rain (it got a bit old after a while), then enjoyed beautiful sunny weather for the three day walk to Fisterra.

How many people is a lot? I didn't find the Camino too crowded for comfort either time, though in 2010, the Holy Year, it was wild how many more people there were after Sarria. According to statistics, supposedly there were even more people walking last year in Sept-Oct, but it seemed like less to me. There wasn't crowding after Sarria, and there was only one albergue full by the time I arrived with a friend (and that was in a small in-between place on the way to Portomarin, at about 7pm).

Any other questions, please feel free to ask! And if you want to click on the link in my signature (to my Caminoheart channel on YouTube), you can see video clips of my walks both years -- will give you an idea of what the weather and landscape was like, and what we were wearing for the temperatures. This is the video I made after last year's walk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jFmcyGubE

Buen Camino!

Rachel

Thanks for all the great replys. I can hardly wait until September.

Buen Camino,

C-rad

Hi pilgrims, well, I am very new to this site and to the camino in general. I am planning to do the trip from saint jean early september 2012 and hopefully not take more than 5 weeks to do it (thats all the time off I can get) I need all the info I can get - what to take? How safe is it? (I am a 31 year old female and going it alone) I'm probably going to get the eurostar from london and get the train to st jean or wherever is nearest. Should I book a place in st Jean?
I have read about the bed bugs so will be taking precautions for that and I already have quite a good back pack from travelling around asia. Can anyone tell me about good hiking boots?
I can speak a little bit of spanish but not much, will this be ok?
Thanks in advance for the info!
Corinne xx

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Smoonboots said:
Hi pilgrims, well, I am very new to this site and to the camino in general. I am planning to do the trip from saint jean early september 2012 and hopefully not take more than 5 weeks to do it (thats all the time off I can get) I need all the info I can get - what to take? How safe is it? (I am a 31 year old female and going it alone) I'm probably going to get the eurostar from london and get the train to st jean or wherever is nearest. Should I book a place in st Jean?
I have read about the bed bugs so will be taking precautions for that and I already have quite a good back pack from travelling around asia. Can anyone tell me about good hiking boots?
I can speak a little bit of spanish but not much, will this be ok?
Thanks in advance for the info!
Corinne xx

The best thing you can do is to start reading. Every thing you mentioned has been discussed in at least a dozen different threads (per topic) on the forum so if you spend a day or so reading old threads pretty much every question you could possibly have will be answered. Then you can come back well-informed and hone the information you gathered. Good luck!

Hi Corinne,

I travelled to SJPdP from London via Paris on Eurostar and my main tip to you is to book as early as possible using http://www.tgv-europe.com to get the best promo fare from Paris to Bayonne - the site shows best fares by day over a month and then by train each day - and then co-ordinate this with a cheap Eurostar ticket for the London to Paris leg.

You may need to catch the first Eurostar to do this in a day, but it may still not be straightforward to do this with the cheapest fares to get to SJPdP in one day because of the afternoon train times from Bayonne to SJPdP, with only a daily 15.05, a Mon-Sat 18.10 and also a late 21.09 on Fridays, Sundays and Festival Days, so pick your day of travel accordingly.

My second tip is to make sure you travel on a day that you can combine with a reservation at L'Esprit in SJPdP, where Arno and Huberta provide the ideal environment from which to start your camino.

C-Rad -
I will be starting out from SJPP sept 5 by bike. This will be my first time on the Camino.
maybe we'll cross paths

Pat S
Yonkers NY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am starting out from Roncesvalles in early Sept. (55 year old female going solo, and a first timer). I feel prepared, equipment wise, and am still pumping up my training. Getting nervous and excited all at the same time! Maybe we also will cross paths!
Cindy
Denver, CO

Thanks guys! Well I now have the time off work. I am planning to fly from london on the 1st or 2nd of sept to Biarritz. Its so much cheaper than getting the train!! Am really looking forward to doing this, although I have no history of walking! I am going to go and get fitted for good walking boots in the next week, and also give up smoking. Then my plan is to start walking and then walk up Snowden with my pack, to see if I'm actually up for the job. Can anyone give me tips on good boots? I'm sure I'll be fine, as i'm going to a walking shop, but any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Corinne xxx

Smoonboots said:
...Can anyone give me tips on good boots? I'm sure I'll be fine, as i'm going to a walking shop, but any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Corinne xxx

Corrine,

Check out the Forum topic Equipment Questions listed below. Generally written by experienced pilgrims there you will find a great deal of pro and con information on all types of gear including boots, walking shoes, and sandals. Past pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!
I looked up weather in September and saw your post.
I will be flying to Biarritz via Paris from Iceland on Sept. 2. Hope to get a bus from there to SJDP and start walking on the 3. Do you - or anyone - know If I should book a bed the first night ?

I am new here too.
Look forward to meet you the other new ones!
I will be starting the walk from SJPP on September 3. coming from Iceland.
I have been training a lot, went up 700 m. today and really feel ready for the Camino in spite of my 71 years.
Buen Camino !
Margrét

Hi Malcolrobert:
I too will leave Canada (Calgary) on Sept. 11 and fly into Paris and train onto Bayonne. I will start walking to Orisson on the 14th. What about you? See you on "the way"!

Ellen

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
msp41 said:
I am new here too.
Look forward to meet you the other new ones!
I will be starting the walk from SJPP on September 3. coming from Iceland.
I have been training a lot, went up 700 m. today and really feel ready for the Camino in spite of my 71 years.
Buen Camino !
Margrét
Margret...you sound ready, for sure! I' m starting the first part of September, also. Hoping to meet you, if you haven't already passed me!
Burn Camino!
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne from Dallas)

mauveglass said:
I am starting out from Roncesvalles in early Sept. (55 year old female going solo, and a first timer). I feel prepared, equipment wise, and am still pumping up my training. Getting nervous and excited all at the same time! Maybe we also will cross paths!
Cindy
Denver, CO
Cindy-
Hoping to meet you along the Way! I'll have a Texas patch on my turquoise backpack, as well as the Forum patch. I'm in the "2nd half of my life," too, but think that's a good thing!! :)
Buen Camino!
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne from Dallas)

I looked through so many of the forums about which boots to get and it was sooo confusing, so I went to the Cotswold shop and after hours of trying on and chatting to the sales assistant, I finally walked out with a pair of Meindle softline lights. They were £150 but it will be worth it if they dont give me blisters! :D

I'm now trying to decide wether or not to stay in sjpp on the 1st of Sept, or to book into the orisson. I am getting the train from bayonne which gets into sjpp at around 3:30 I think. Will this be enough time to get my pilgrims passport and then get to the Orisson before dark? Is anyone else starting on the 1st?

Corinne xx

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are planning on staying in Orisson you MUST have reservations, probably a month or more in advance of your stay. And while getting into St Jean at 3:30 MIGHT give you time to hike to Orisson, it certainly will be rushed and not much fun. I suggest you book a night in St. Jean, enjoy a good dinner there, get a few snacks at the store and then head up to Orisson in the morning after a good breakfast. Start the Camino in a relaxed state of mind rather than rushing to complete the journey.

Bozzie-
Oh yes, I think this is a great time of life, especially doing this! Where are you starting from? I'll be leaving Roncesvalles around the 1st and will be wearing grey and bright pink shoes...maybe we'll meet!
Cindy

Bozzie said:
mauveglass said:
Cindy
Denver, CO
Cindy-
Hoping to meet you along the Way! I'll have a Texas patch on my turquoise backpack, as well as the Forum patch. I'm in the "2nd half of my life," too, but think that's a good thing!! :)
Buen Camino!
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne from Dallas)

Hey Cindy and Dee Ann,
I'm Arlene currently living in Arizona. I will be starting out from St. Jean on Sept. 4. Also a "2nd halfer" and a first time Camino peregrina. So excited, can't wait to start :lol:

Hope to see you both on the way. I'll have a burgundy pack with Forum and American Pilgrims on the Camino Patches on the back. I wear red trail runners and have a thick NY accent - should be real easy to recognize.
Ultreya!
Arlene

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cindy, Dee Ann, Arlene,
I too am in second half but best half of this living experience and a first time peregrina arriving in SJPdP on Sept 4. I'm coming from my retired life in Mexico and can't wait to meet you all. What a special time we will have.
Anna

Hola Lady Pilgrims!

Getting excited & nervous only 19 days until I take off for France! Looking forward to meeting all you ladies on the Camino..Planning to be in St Jean Sept 2 & 3 starting camino on the 4th!

All the best & more,
Lisa

Hello Ladies,

I look forward to walking (won't be running!) into this select group of over-50-September 2012-Camino Pilgrims. I will be arriving in Roncesvalles on the Pamplona bus on September 4th and plan to start the following day. (I was glad to read in this Forum that the passport may be obtained in Roncesvalles.)

At the moment very excited, a little apprehensive and hopefully ready for whatever the Camino chooses to put in my Way.

Sounds like there'll be several of us ladies. Bravo!

Buen Camino y Hasta Pronto!

Penny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
uk2us said:
Hello Ladies,

I look forward to walking (won't be running!) into this select group of over-50-September 2012-Camino Pilgrims. I will be arriving in Roncesvalles on the Pamplona bus on September 4th and plan to start the following day.

Buen Camino y Hasta Pronto!

Penny

Hi Penny,

I'll be a day behind you, but I'm sure we will meet up somewhere along the way!

Ultreya :arrow:
Arlene

Hi Malcolm,
I'll be leaving from TO on the 17th. Plan to follow the same route. Perhaps we'll meet. How long are you planning on taking?
Glad you listen to the CBC; my favourite radio station.
Arthur

Hi Amourier,

I look forward to meeting you. I plan on taking the first few days s-l-o-w-l-y since I am a first time hiker - so you'll probably catch up with me.

Hasta la Vista!
Penny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Arthur

Plans change. I will now land in Bilbao on the 11th, visit the Guggenheim museum on the 12th, then swim upstream to Pamplona then Roncesville and SJPP. to begin. Hope to be there by the 13th, beginning the hike by the 14th.

Yes, the CBC is marvelous. What a treasure we Canadians have. - Malcolm

annasime said:
Cindy, Dee Ann, Arlene,
I too am in second half but best half of this living experience and a first time peregrina arriving in SJPdP on Sept 4. I'm coming from my retired life in Mexico and can't wait to meet you all. What a special time we will have.
Anna
Anna, Penny and everyone else!
I was starting out on the 1st of Sept but my plans have now changed and I will leaving around the 4th or 5th from Roncesvalles. So maybe I will be starting in time to meet all of you who are starting in St Jean. Penny, we should meet on the 4th in Roncesvalles! I have gray and hot pink shoes with either a pink or purple shirt.
Cindy

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back