• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2014 Wine Festival Logroño -- Stop or not?

design4life

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014-18 Kumano Kodo 2019 Portu 2022 Inglés 2023
It looks like we will be passing through Logroño on 22 or 23 September. The annual rioja festival begins on the 21st and runs for a week.

Is this something we should plan to stop for -- perhaps take a day off from walking -- or is it something to avoid, in the same way as one would avoid Pamplona during San Fermín?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We passed through at festival time, we just ate a "big" lunch in a festival tent and walked on, it was a "big" mistake as I learnt not to eat or "drink" much if you have to walk another few hours..if you are staying the night and in the Alberque you will be subject to closing time..I have seen many festivals and they all include tents, alcohol, loud music and late late night/morning finishing. I think for tourists it is a very different kettle of fish, but we are not tourists..treat yourself to some nice Rioja instead of stopping?

Logrono and nearby Haro (an even nicer place than Logrono but no Mata Moros on the wall as you leave) are THE centers of Rioja in all of Spain. I have never been to this festival but my, well, samplings of the local product both in Spain and beyond qualify me as more than a neophyte imbiber, more than able and willing to draw the lines between plonk and the good stuff. Give it a look, probably a lot of fun, do sample but if you are concerned about, ah, side effects, do it finesmecker-that is, taste but do not swallow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It looks like we will be passing through Logroño on 22 or 23 September. The annual rioja festival begins on the 21st and runs for a week.

Is this something we should plan to stop for -- perhaps take a day off from walking -- or is it something to avoid, in the same way as one would avoid Pamplona during San Fermín?
I would suggest you pass through – I arrived around the same time last year during the wine festival and had great difficulty finding accommodation.

However if you wish to partake in the festivities it is a fairly full on celebration of Baucus, and may not be ideal for distance walking .

I have been having commitment issues with deciding what to do re camino beyond the plan of being in Spain sept/ oct anyway this spurred me on (as I enjoy vino) I just booked a 2 night stay (sun + mon) @ a hotel in logrono on booking.com (at this point in time there are still decreasing options available) :) I am very excited

I think we'll plan to pass through Logroño but stay elsewhere. Which of the towns on either side do people recommend? Viana? Navarette? Other? And in general, as we are not staying in the albergues but prefer pensions/private rooms, do veteran September walkers recommend making reservations? We're walking as far as Burgos and have made reservations in Roncesvalles and Zubiri, and then at the end in Burgos. But I'm wondering about the stops in between. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
YES stay in Logrono and enjoy the festival! And the tapas...Logrono has THREE WHOLE streets dedicated to tapas bars. They open mid-day until around 5pm, then again from 7pm onwards. If you like food and wine, plan on Logrono being a highlight of your culinary journey.

As pilgrims you can easily stay in any of the albergues without a reservation, or you can call to book a couple days in advance if you are concerned about the crowds. Just be sure to note the closing times (usually 10-11p) so you don't get locked out. Or better yet, stay at the slightly more expensive Hostel Entresuenos which gives guests (pilgrims and tourists) 24 hour access. Book ahead via email: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/hostel-entresuenos

YES stay in Logrono and enjoy the festival! And the tapas...Logrono has THREE WHOLE streets dedicated to tapas bars. They open mid-day until around 5pm, then again from 7pm onwards. If you like food and wine, plan on Logrono being a highlight of your culinary journey.

As pilgrims you can easily stay in any of the albergues without a reservation, or you can call to book a couple days in advance if you are concerned about the crowds. Just be sure to note the closing times (usually 10-11p) so you don't get locked out. Or better yet, stay at the slightly more expensive Hostel Entresuenos which gives guests (pilgrims and tourists) 24 hour access. Book ahead via email: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/hostel-entresuenos
Thank you Nancy for suggesting accommodation, I've just booked myself in for 2 nights and will look forward to this part of my journey, the luxury and the vino.

I have been having commitment issues with deciding what to do re camino beyond the plan of being in Spain sept/ oct anyway this spurred me on (as I enjoy vino) I just booked a 2 night stay (sun + mon) @ a hotel in logrono on booking.com (at this point in time there are still decreasing options available) :) I am very excited
Hi Sam
We might meet along the way, I have also booked 2 nights, Mon and Tue to enjoy the vino and probably the tapas also.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I was in Logroño last Saturday finishing my SJPP -Logroño and it was amazing, even for a Spaniard like me. The terraces on the streets C/Laurel, Portales, and Gran Vía were completely packed. So, I can't imagine how could it be a wine festival in Logroño.

Couldn't agree more with Nancy's approach above. Any further Camino for me will revolve around a stopover here before Leon and Burgos.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a Fiesta weekend around the 9th of September in Finisterra with processions and which includes a statue being taken out by boat into the harbour. Last year when I was there we partied to the early hours. So easy to dance when you are not wearing heavy boots, have partaken on libation and don't have to walk the next day!:rolleyes:

I walked through Logrono on Sunday morning of the BIG weekend. Even then they were still "washing the streets". I actually grabbed a bus to Navarrete after having a coffee and churro. Both it and Viana are far better stopping places.

It may be a chance to go the the cathdrals and parks and museums while everyone else is busy drinking no? My rest days will be spent in the cities coming for small town Iowa I'm looking forward to lots of smiling faces, and amazing tour through history.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stopped in Logrono last year and I am staying a couple of days this year as the town and its tapas bars are not to be missed, I also use it as a break. Great Town

We were there for 2 days at the end of the festival last year. We coined it "the happiest place on earth".
Had a wonderful time and would highly recommend it. Had a very family feel to the tapas streets late at night, rather than a touristy feel.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Logrono and Muxia when they have the festivals must not be missed.
No way were we going to go all that way to miss a cultural experience.
Great atmosphere.
Enjoy

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back