• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2018 who’s going?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Peter.
I will be leaving from SJPdP on September 18. You can also check the calendar for those who have listed their starting dates. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m going to walk the full Francis on my third visit to the Camino from st Jean to Santiago. Will anyone else be walking in September 2018?

Thanks.
Peter

Hi Peter, we are leaving on September 1st....can't wait!!!
Jenine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and myself leave SJPP on September 1st. It will be my 3rd Camino on the French Way. But this time we only go as far as Burgos

Will anyone else be walking in September 2018?
A friend and I are leaving SJPdP on September 11. We have 49 days available for walking and tentatively are planning to continue to Finisterre and Muxía. We already have reservations at Orrison and Roncevalles. Our planning is better shape than our physical training and preparatory weight loss. ¡Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and myself start at St Jean on 27th August (nearly September). We're aiming to walk the full length from St Jean to Santiago.

We tried this in autumn 2014 but, but to my wife suffering a foot injury just past Sahagun. We stopped the attempt at Bercianos del Real Camino. BUT we returned in spring 2015, restarted in Bercianos, and successfully completed the route to Santiago. In 2016 we walked the full length of the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon in one attempt.

Now the Frances route is calling us back...

Last edited:
The fellowship of the Camino in Sept :) I booked the refuge Orisson on 28 Augustm, planning to arrive in Santiago on 26/09 with 4 days of Mesetas by bike, I cannot wait Ultreya!
Stef

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My sister, brother-in-law and I have it narrowed down to a mid September starting date. Another family member might join us somewhere along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m going to walk the full Francis on my third visit to the Camino from st Jean to Santiago. Will anyone else be walking in September 2018?

Thanks.
Peter

I will be starting on 19 September 18 walking st Jean to Santiago on to Finisterre,

Hi Peter, my husband and I plan to leave SJPP on 15 September to walk the full Francis.

Hi Peter, Adrianna and Co
I'll arrive SJPdP 15 September (reservation at Beilari) for my second Camino .. very excited to get going, plan to walk all the way to Fisterra like my previous camino. The Santiago-to-Fisterra walk can be highly recommended!!
See you on the trail.
Best,
Chris

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be starting in Pamplona Sept 7, looking forward to walking with great excitement for my second Camino.
Ultreya!
Nancy

Thanks.
Peter

My husband and I will be walking SJPP to Santiago starting 24th Aug. Buen Camino to all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Flight(s)/ SJPDP Accommodations BOOKED! Starting my 1st (& VERY ambitious) solo Camino on Sept.12, 2018 from SJPDP!!
Camino Frances/Camino San Salvador/Camino Primitivo & possibly Finisterre/Muxia. I gave myself 46 days but remain open & flexible & extremely excited! Just reading about all of our starting dates makes me feel a part of your lives, for which I am truly grateful! Buen Camino! ULTREIA!

Arriving in SJPDP on 17 Sept. and start walking to Santiago the next day.

Still cannot figure out how to enter dates and caminos on the calendar or on my profile. Those soft skills escape me somehow.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first CF - pushing off from SJPDP on 20 Sep. Walking solo. Have 43 days to do the whole walk to Santiago - am not a spring chicken any more! Will post on the calendar idc. Many thanks to all on this forum for lotsa great advice on all aspects of the pilgrimage. Very instructive and very helpful. See ‘ya on the track. Cooee Shep.

Still cannot figure out how to enter dates and caminos on the calendar or on my profile. Those soft skills escape me somehow.

Hello Jodean, I have the same question and my search didn’t find an answer- but I am arriving on 9/17 and starting 9/18 as well! I look forward to seeing you on the trail!

Currently planning to walk solo from SJPDP around mid September. Still trying to find the courage to commit myself, but also excited to start. Is this a natural feeling?
If you are a person of faith leave it in Gods hand he will guide you . Follow your heart . This is normal. Bueno Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks.
Peter
I intend to walk my first Camino from SJPDP in mid September. I've got (almost) everything that I intend to take with me, and will spend the next few months back here in the UK training to get used to the feel of the weight. No firm travel plans just yet. Planning to take 5 to 6 weeks to include Finisterra at the end.

Currently planning to walk solo from SJPDP around mid September. Still trying to find the courage to commit myself, but also excited to start. Is this a natural feeling?

Welcome to the Forum, PetePie; glad to have you here :)

Yes, it is normal. Some of the mixed feelings comes from anxiety and homesickness from the thought of being away from loved ones and familiar routines for an extended period. Some feelings arise from thoughts of being a 'stranger in a strange land'; of being completely out of your element and having no one around you with whom you know like a friend or loved one.

Then there is the issue of doing something with which you have no experience; the feeling that you are at the bottom of a huge learning curve --- What do I do? Where do I start planning? What do I need? Will I be safe? what are the logistics for travel? How do I get the gear that I need?

Can I even do it?

Yeah, most have been there. But the good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  2. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  3. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  4. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  5. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, when anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Yes, it is normal. Some of the mixed feelings comes from anxiety and homesickness from the thought of being away from loved ones and familiar routines for an extended period. Some feelings arise from thoughts of being a 'stranger in a strange land'; of being completely out of your element and having no one around you with whom you know like a friend or loved one.

Then there is the issue of doing something with which you have no experience; the feeling that you are at the bottom of a huge learning curve --- What do I do? Where do I start planning? What do I need? Will I be safe? what are the logistics for travel? How do I get the gear that I need?

Can I even do it?

Yeah, most have been there. But the good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

3. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  4. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  5. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, when anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.
Thanks Davebugg for the warm welcome and advice provided. Words of wisdom.
Will do what tou have mentioned, it's a great start

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I will be arriving in SJPP on September 13th. We have 37 days to Walker the CF. Hoping to comme across some of you! Buen Camino everyone!

First Camino from SJPP to Finisterre starting on September 3. So scared and excited! Can’t wait to be out there!
I will be leaving from SJPP on Sept. 3 also - hope to see you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is great! So glad you asked for "roll call" :) !

I'll start the CF,at the beginning of Sept, go to Logrono & up to Bilbao and experience del Norte, then take a walk on the Primativo and into Santiago. Muxia & Finisterre will get squeezed in there, too. :)

Last edited:
I am going to start in SJPP on September 1. I’m really excited. Stopping in Orrison on the 1st night. End in Muxia.

Starting 1st September from Sjpdp, for the 3rd time, 40 km a day for 20 days. Arriving Biarritz 0945 from Luton, anyone else on the same easyjet flight?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kicking off the second part of my Camino on the 2nd of September from Burgos.
I have about three to finish,
really looking forward to it

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did you make arrangements for the bike in advance or are you goin to wait until you get close to Burgos? What company are you using?
Thanks,
Buen Camino
Humbertico

Thanks.
Peter

Yes... I arrive in St. Jean on Sept 3rd for my first Camino. I'm going solo and cannot wait, though a bit daunted by the first day hike over the Pyrenees .. JAO

€60,-
Hello,
My wife and I will be arriving in Madrid on September 12th and starting our pilgrimage at sjpdp on the 15th. Buen camino everyone hope to meet some of you along the way.
Edgar & Rhianna

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am flying from Montreal to Barcelona the 9/4. Looks like I will start in SJPP on the 5th. I’m a solo traveler I’m sure I’ll meet a few of you along the way! Buen Camino all!

Hello,
My wife and I will be arriving in Madrid on September 12th and starting our pilgrimage at sjpdp on the 15th. Buen camino everyone hope to meet some of you along the way.
Edgar & Rhianna
My husband and I also arrived in Madrid on the 12th of September. How are you getting to SJPP

I fly into Barcelona 9/4 I’m sure you’ll catch up to me along the way! I’m the “Rubenesque” woman short gray hair with red and purple glassesI may be walking turtle speed but I’ll get there! Buen Camino!

€46,-
[

Can I even do it?

Can I even do it?

Great advise. Just what I need today as it looks like I will be starting my Camino solo. I know all the info I need is out there. All I have to do is let it in and utilize it wisely.
I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

[

Great advise. Just what I need today as it looks like I will be starting my Camino solo. I know all the info I need is out there. All I have to do is let it in and utilize it wisely.
I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

You can definitely do it. It is good to remember that the goal in dealing with anxieties and feelings of being overwhelmed about going solo is not their elimination, but developing the insights and tools to deal with and cope with them until they begin to dissipate in due time. Most times, anxieties and those overwhelming feelings are proportional to gaining confidence --- as each hour passes into each day, you gain a bit more confidence in your ability to cope with walking the Camino, making new friends and associations, conducting day-to-day pilgrim tasks, shop, order food, and go to places like restaurants and churches and museums and just stroll around a village or town. As you quickly acclimate to your pilgrim routine, and that confidence grows, your anxiousness decreases even faster.

You also quickly realize that you are easily able to keep in touch with loved ones, even using Facetime type applications, so you are never isolated from them if you choose not to be.

Ultreia, pilgrim!!! :)

Hi , I will probably start walking solo, my first Camino on 7/8 September so I have 26 days allocated for walking. My original plan is to start in Burgos and hopefully end in Santiago. I will be a slow stroller and probably on my rest days take the bus. Reading through posts here I noticed that most people start the first Camino at SJDP , for me that seems too much, too strenuous so now I am wondering if I should change my agenda and start in Pamplona as see where I end up after 26 days, I am not overly influenced about getting a compostela.
I am also not sure that I would be able to return to the Frances and do the part I don't do now. May possibly return Sept 2019 with my husband to do the Portugese way. Would love input on the dilemma of the starting point.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Estelle, an a warm welcome to the Forum...

You really can start anywhere that seems to meet your preferences. If you want to skip sections and receive your Compostela that is doable, too. Plan to walk the last 100 km starting at Sarria and give yourself 7 days to do so. Then, plan your walk at any starting point, even St Jean Pied de Port, knowing that when you reach the last 8 or 9 days prior to your departure home, you catch a bus or taxi from where you are at on the Camino and then travel to Sarria to do your last 7 days into Santiago de Compostela.

Other than that, you can choose someplace like Leon, which should give you ample time to make it to Santiago with your 26 day time frame.

Whatever you decide, and you have a goodly amount of time to refine your plan, your Camino will be a special time for you. :)

Hi kids...will be leaving Dulles on the 20th of Sept., hope to start from Ages, maybe Burgos. Have to beheading back stateside on Oct 20. Wish I had more time!

We are very excited to arrive in SJ on the 27th, and plan to start walking the 29th. This week we leave for our daughter’s wedding in London and a week in Scotland, but we are actually more thinking more about the Camino- cannot get it out of our minds! We love our daughter and her fiancé very much, but the Camino seems to call to us a bit more than Britain!

Ron & Kathy Kelemen, Salem, OR

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Estelle, an a warm welcome to the Forum...

You really can start anywhere that seems to meet your preferences. If you want to skip sections and receive your Compostela that is doable, too. Plan to walk the last 100 km starting at Sarria and give yourself 7 days to do so. Then, plan your walk at any starting point, even St Jean Pied de Port, knowing that when you reach the last 8 or 9 days prior to your departure home, you catch a bus or taxi from where you are at on the Camino and then travel to Sarria to do your last 7 days into Santiago de Compostela.

Other than that, you can choose someplace like Leon, which should give you ample time to make it to Santiago with your 26 day time frame.

Whatever you decide, and you have a goodly amount of time to refine your plan, your Camino will be a special time for you. :)
Thanks for this, I didn't consider this option..might give me the best of both worlds..although just did a little research some towns are terribly small and so getting to Sarria could be interesting..but I guess I could bus to a bigger city and take it from there.

Thanks for this, I didn't consider this option..might give me the best of both worlds..although just did a little research some towns are terribly small and so getting to Sarria could be interesting..but I guess I could bus to a bigger city and take it from there.

Even in villages, there is usually taxi availability where there will not be bus service. Stopping in a bar or shop to grab a snack or a bite to munch on, the shopkeepers are usually happy to call one for you. Also, an alburgue or other lodging can arrange for a taxi at whatever pick up time you tell them. This will get you to a the nearest town with bus service. :)

Hi, Peter.
I will be leaving from SJPdP on September 18. You can also check the calendar for those who have listed their starting dates. :)
Hi Peter, I am doing my first Camino trip and hope to be there sometime between the 15th and 18th of September. I need to book a flight. Where are you starting from?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hope to leave the same time you do. Can share any information about typical weather at that time.

Hi, Peter.
Hi Peter,
Since I live in Ashland Oregon we will most likely end there close to the same time. Where are you flying into.

€60,-
Hello to all,
New to this forum, but did the Camino Frances last winter. Will be walking it again this Fall Please God . plan to leave SJDP Sept. 17th.
God bless to all,
david

Thanks.
Peter
My husband and I will be doing our first Camino. Starting Sept 12th from Pamplona to Santiago. Looking forward to this adventure. Yvonne and Randy.

Following Ian’s unexpected angiogram and the subsequent cancellation of our May 3 start, we have rebooked Orisson and Roncesvalles. We start on 14 September 2018. We look forward to meeting whoever we will meet

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My husband and I also arrived in Madrid on the 12th of September. How are you getting to SJPP
Hi Diane,
We are staying a day in Madrid to get accommodated with the time change and jet lag then taking a train to Pamplona, bus to SJPP and starting our camino on Sept 15.
Thanks,
Edgar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I are planning to start from SJPP on September 15. First camino.

Completing my camino in the 13th September 2018. Starting from sahagun to santiago. I would like to thank all members for there advice and support. Look forward to meeting many pilgrims while on my journey.
All the best,
Stephen Milligan,
Glasgow Scotland.

I am planning on walking from Pamplona to Ponferrada (again) probably from Sept ~18 - November ~4, except for the two weeks that I might be volunteering in an albergue (again). I will enter my dates in the calendar once they are confirmed.

I hope you's all have a great experience on the camino. Good luck with volunteering marylynn
All the best
Stephen Milligan
Glasgow
Scotland

Thanks.
Peter
Hi, We will be walking beginning the second week of September. We will be starting in Astorga and walking through to SdC, Would prefer to walk the entire Camino, but we just don't have enough time

Hi Diane,
We are staying a day in Madrid to get accommodated with the time change and jet lag then taking a train to Pamplona, bus to SJPP and starting our camino on Sept 15.
Thanks,
Edgar
Thanks, we will be doing the same, but no overnight in Madrid. Hope to cross your path! Buen Camino!

Hi, Peter.
I will hopefully be leaving then too. Waiting for my national passport. I don't know when it will arrive so I can't book any of the flights. Lowest I've seen is £68 return but can be 3-4× that even 5× closer to the date. I'm not prepared to do my first Camino in winter. Plus I won't get my paid holiday at the same rate to get 6 weeks off later than Nov until May.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back