• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2019 - High road or low road?

FallingUpward

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances - (September 2019)
Hi all, after a few unavoidable delays I'm finally going make this dream a reality in Sept/Oct. I have always planned on doing the Camino Frances, probably because I fell in love with it through the movie. A wonderful twist of fate though, has a friend, someone I coached a couple years back, playing pro wheelchair basketball based in Bilbao. He should be arriving early September and I would love to catch up with him and spend a day or two watching the team training if the timing is right. My question, if I head to Bilbao, am I committed to the Camino del Norte or can I perhaps bus/train south to Pamplona or Burgos to reconnect with the Camino Frances? If so, is that just silly? I really love historic villages and was attracted to the plains and wheat fields in the movie but perhaps there's just as much to offer via the North. Any advice to someone spoilt for choice? :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bilbao to Burgos via bus is fast and cheap. Alsa bus was around 27 euro. Efficient and comfortable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's super easy! Laburundesa bus company does about 8 trips per day Bilbao-Pamplona (and vice versa). The journey takes 2 hours. Here's the timetable

Not sure whether you were thinking of landing in Bilbao, and then starting the Frances after that? In this case the Pamplona option is definitely best, as you'll get to see the rolling landscapes of Navarra and Rioja.

If you want to start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, it's very easy to catch a bus from Pamplona over the Pyrenees. It's also easy to get from Bilbao to Bayonne (where the train connects to Saint Jean Pied de Port). Alsa, Pesa, and Flixbus do the route (normally takes just under 3 hours).

It's super easy! Laburundesa bus company does about 8 trips per day Bilbao-Pamplona (and vice versa). The journey takes 2 hours. Here's the timetable

Not sure whether you were thinking of landing in Bilbao, and then starting the Frances after that? In this case the Pamplona option is definitely best, as you'll get to see the rolling landscapes of Navarra and Rioja.

If you want to start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, it's very easy to catch a bus from Pamplona over the Pyrenees. It's also easy to get from Bilbao to Bayonne (where the train connects to Saint Jean Pied de Port). Alsa, Pesa, and Flixbus do the route (normally takes just under 3 hours).

Jan, you're amazing. I obviously have lots of options! I did wonder if I could start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, sidetrack to see him then resume without missing much. Sounds like I can!
Lots to consider. I'm an Aussie so planning on coming in via Paris, to Bayonne and on to SJPdP. If I beat him to Spain I might start as planned and do a side trip. It seems quite doable! I'm excited! Cheers! 🙂

I did wonder if I could start in Saint Jean Pied de Port, sidetrack to see him then resume without missing much. Sounds like I can!

Personally, I wouldn’t do it this way - instead I would try to see your friend before starting your walk if possible. Being a pilgrim requires a different state of mind than being a traveller/visitor. It’s all-encompassing and not easy to just switch on and off. I think breaking up your walk would disrupt your flow and rhythm and you might find it hard to get out of the pilgrim mentality in Bilbao, and then back into it once you resume. Plus, once you resume, you would likely be off-sync with other pilgrims you may have connected with on the first part of your walk.

Just another thing to think about. Buen camino however you end up doing it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Personally, I wouldn’t do it this way - instead I would try to see your friend before starting your walk if possible. Being a pilgrim requires a different state of mind than being a traveller/visitor. It’s all-encompassing and not easy to just switch on and off. I think breaking up your walk would disrupt your flow and rhythm and you might find it hard to get out of the pilgrim mentality in Bilbao, and then back into it once you resume. Plus, once you resume, you would likely be off-sync with other pilgrims you may have connected with on the first part of your walk.

Just another thing to think about. Buen camino however you end up doing it.
You are right Nick. I would prefer to do the visit first but I don't have control over the dates. If he arrives when I do, I can do as you suggest. If he doesn't, I can begin. I just can't delay my trip because i have commitments in Oz in October. I will try not to force anything though. If it works, it works. If I'm uncomfortable taking the side trip, I'll skip it.
I think that's why I like hearing all the options. I don't have to decide now. Thanks for the advice!

If I were you I would also check Iberia. I got a flight on October 29rh
Madrid to Pamplona for $40US and another from SDC to
Madrid in December for $29US. I know it’s a different time frame but it doesn’t take long to check it out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My advice is to do the walk you dreamed of doing, and step off the trail for your detour as and when the timing suits. It's just a part of your camino, to visit a friend and cheer him on in his life's journey.

Don't let the plans of new camino friends deter you. If they are to factor into your life, so too will the next batch of pilgrims you meet. The camino is not a static flow of the 'same same' people each day, it is a fluid river of humanity that we dip our toes into, and each day holds new possibilities.

Who knows, after detouring to Bilboa you may decide to just keep walking from there. Or you can bus back to the Frances, where you left it or at a point a couple days further down the road if you want to stay with a particular group.

Northern Spain has excellent bus coverage and distances are relatively small.

My advice is to do the walk you dreamed of doing, and step off the trail for your detour as and when the timing suits. It's just a part of your camino, to visit a friend and cheer him on in his life's journey.

Don't let the plans of new camino friends deter you. If they are to factor into your life, so too will the next batch of pilgrims you meet. The camino is not a static flow of the 'same same' people each day, it is a fluid river of humanity that we dip our toes into, and each day holds new possibilities.

Who knows, after detouring to Bilboa you may decide to just keep walking from there. Or you can bus back to the Frances, where you left it or at a point a couple days further down the road if you want to stay with a particular group.

Northern Spain has excellent bus coverage and distances are relatively small.
I love your opening paragraph. You do seem to understand why I feel a dilemma. It's been a privilege working with him and should our paths happen to cross again in this way, it would be pretty incredible & I would see it as a gift.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 🙂

Hi all, after a few unavoidable delays I'm finally going make this dream a reality in Sept/Oct. I have always planned on doing the Camino Frances, probably because I fell in love with it through the movie. A wonderful twist of fate though, has a friend, someone I coached a couple years back, playing pro wheelchair basketball based in Bilbao. He should be arriving early September and I would love to catch up with him and spend a day or two watching the team training if the timing is right. My question, if I head to Bilbao, am I committed to the Camino del Norte or can I perhaps bus/train south to Pamplona or Burgos to reconnect with the Camino Frances? If so, is that just silly? I really love historic villages and was attracted to the plains and wheat fields in the movie but perhaps there's just as much to offer via the North. Any advice to someone spoilt for choice? :)
You can take the bus from Bilbao to Bayonne and catch the train to St Jean Pied de Port.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum Falling Upward. I can’t give you advice on transport as I start my first Camino from SJPdP in mid September. From Mackay in Queensland flying into Paris then train to Bayonne. 2 nights in Bayonne and 2 in SJPdP to recover from the journey. Who knows our paths may cross. Buen Camino!

I love your opening paragraph. You do seem to understand why I feel a dilemma. It's been a privilege working with him and should our paths happen to cross again in this way, it would be pretty incredible & I would see it as a gift.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 🙂
And Bilbao is different, with some interesting things like the Guggenheim.

Welcome to the forum Falling Upward. I can’t give you advice on transport as I start my first Camino from SJPdP in mid September. From Mackay in Queensland flying into Paris then train to Bayonne. 2 nights in Bayonne and 2 in SJPdP to recover from the journey. Who knows our paths may cross. Buen Camino!
That would be very cool! I'm going to take a day or two to recover before starting too. I don't want to miss a thing. 🙂
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a bus from Bilbao to Burgos and then to Pamplona if you want.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.