• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2022

Roseangel

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
Well I've taken the plunge and booked return flights and the first few nights accommodation starting 7th September 2022 from SJPDP. Coming from Australia and used points for the flights. Fingers and toes crossed all is well in my world and the world.
My 3rd Frances. Who would have thought I'd be looking forward to the pain, loosing stuff more often then not, uncomfortable beds, snorers, cold showers, uncertainty of getting a bed, walking 10 or more ks before my first coffee, and walking a day or two in constant down pouring of rain.
But bring it on, along with the amazing sunsets, camaraderie, landscape, wine, history, serenity, churches, bridges, food, beautiful locals, solitude, busyness, music & most importantly the Camino spirit.
This time it will be a slower and more savouring walk. Hopefully with a new knee, if not you will see me with severe pronated knees which creates a distinctive walk. But I will get there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
. Who would have thought I'd be looking forward to the pain, loosing stuff more often then not, uncomfortable beds, snorers, cold showers, uncertainty of getting a bed, walking 10 or more ks before my first coffee, and walking a day or two in constant down pouring of rain.
I can't wait for all that again!

Who would have thought I'd be looking forward to the pain, loosing stuff more often then not, uncomfortable beds, snorers, cold showers, uncertainty of getting a bed, walking 10 or more ks before my first coffee, and walking a day or two in constant down pouring of rain.
I must have walked a different camino... but I did get the amazing sunsets, camaraderie, landscape, wine, history, serenity, churches, bridges, food, beautiful locals, solitude, busyness, music & most importantly the Camino spirit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well I've taken the plunge and booked return flights and the first few nights accommodation starting 7th September 2022 from SJPDP. Coming from Australia and used points for the flights. Fingers and toes crossed all is well in my world and the world.
My 3rd Frances. Who would have thought I'd be looking forward to the pain, loosing stuff more often then not, uncomfortable beds, snorers, cold showers, uncertainty of getting a bed, walking 10 or more ks before my first coffee, and walking a day or two in constant down pouring of rain.
But bring it on, along with the amazing sunsets, camaraderie, landscape, wine, history, serenity, churches, bridges, food, beautiful locals, solitude, busyness, music & most importantly the Camino spirit.
This time it will be a slower and more savouring walk. Hopefully with a new knee, if not you will see me with severe pronated knees which creates a distinctive walk. But I will get there.
You bet you will get there!

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

You have touched all my memory boxes and my next Camino(Norte) is awaiting me for 2022.

Hi Roseangel, much more pros than cons, I would love to do any Camino again, but just can't for various reasons. Enjoy every precious moment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A couple of days behind you coming from Australia, will start walking Sept 5, leaving Australia September 1 landing in Barcelona, taking time getting to St. Jean Pied de Port.

Last edited:
I will fly out of Australia on August 30th, and will wander around the Invierno, San Salvador and Primitivo caminos for a month or more, eventually coming home on October 17th. I have yet to book flights [just a tad too early as yet] - who are you flying with? I have booked my accommodation in Hospederia San Martin for the 3 different times I will be in Compostela, and am looking at staying in the Leon Parador for a night or two at the start of the San Salvador.

Buen Camino

Alan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will fly out of Australia on August 30th, and will wander around the Invierno, San Salvador and Primitivo caminos for a month or more, eventually coming home on October 17th. I have yet to book flights [just a tad too early as yet] - who are you flying with? I have booked my accommodation in Hospederia San Martin for the 3 different times I will be in Compostela, and am looking at staying in the Leon Parador for a night or two at the start of the San Salvador.

Buen Camino

Alan
Hi Alan, I'm using Qantas points and flying with Emirates to Paris then also on the 17th October I'm flying out of Madrid. Your plans sound lovely
Buen Camino
Angela

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I must have walked a different camino... but I did get the amazing sunsets, camaraderie, landscape, wine, history, serenity, churches, bridges, food, beautiful locals, solitude, busyness, music & most importantly the Camino spirit.
Yay how exciting !!
My friend and I are looking at Portuguese in September 2022 … No2 for us
And yes sooo looking forward to the Camino spirit again !!
Have you heard of anything in relation to Rapid Anitegen testing on arrival and en-route etc ??

Hi Alan I am flying Emirates. Angela
I was due to fly to Spain in May 2020, using points to upgrade my flights with Korean Air to business class both ways. That, of course, never happened. I have just heard from Korean, and they have extended the time in which I can use my points, but as yet they have not released any schedule for when they will be flying. I have until May 2024 to use the points, so I may go another airline this time and try for Korean the year after.

I am disapponted that I will miss the National Camino Conference near Melbourne in September next year, but the time at which it is being held will preclude many other travellers from attending.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yay how exciting !!
My friend and I are looking at Portuguese in September 2022 … No2 for us
And yes sooo looking forward to the Camino spirit again !!
Have you heard of anything in relation to Rapid Anitegen testing on arrival and en-route etc ??
Hi Caz, I have read a fair bit but gathering it will change many times before I leave so will study up nearer to my time.
Buen Camino

Hi Roseangel,
We, wife and I, also intend to start Camino Frances, our first Camino, in September 2022. However, a few weeks later than yourself. We have not booked flights yet but are looking at all the travel options to StJPDP and everything associated with doing such a walk.

I was having second thoughts when reading all the downsides you mention, but seriously looking forward to completing the preparations required for such a journey and I guess booking flights to make it real. As you say, “bring it on”.

I’m interested to know in what places you have booked accommodation for the first few nights ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Roseangel,
We, wife and I, also intend to start Camino Frances, our first Camino, in September 2022. However, a few weeks later than yourself. We have not booked flights yet but are looking at all the travel options to StJPDP and everything associated with doing such a walk.

I was having second thoughts when reading all the downsides you mention, but seriously looking forward to completing the preparations required for such a journey and I guess booking flights to make it real. As you say, “bring it on”. Cheers
The only downside is if you have to cancel for any reason, otherwise it's varying degrees of 'up'.

Hi Roseangel,

I was having second thoughts when reading all the downsides you mention, but seriously looking forward to completing the preparations required for such a journey and I guess booking flights to make it real. As you say, “bring it on”. Cheers
Sorry to sound negative in my post. I just find it incredible that myself, friend and daughter suffered badly with various aliments but are ever so keen to return.
Hi Roseangel,

I was having second thoughts when reading all the downsides you mention, but seriously looking forward to completing the preparations required for such a journey and I guess booking flights to make it real. As you say, “bring it on”.

I’m interested to know in what places you have booked accommodation for the first few nights ?

Cheers
Hi Jim, exciting for you both. I'm sorry I made it sound somewhat negative.
Believe me the joys absolutely outweigh any discomfort. It depends if you sta in hostels, daily walking distance, injuries etc. I walked my first Frances in 28 days (time poor) with severe leg pain as I need knee replacement. But I'm stubborn so resisted missing sections then.
The Camino got into my soul...
And I returned the following year, 2019
But knee had had enough by Sarria so I took a train to Santiago deCompostela.
Both walks were amazing and I have so many very fond memories, and yearn to experience it yet again
I will stay at Makila in Sjpdp.
It is a hostel right near the Pilgrim Office.
I have booked for Orisson, Roncesvalles, Zubiri & Pamplona. I'm hoping to wing it from there but it's an unknown at this stage.
Buen Camino

Hi @Roseangel
We completed our first camino in Sept/Oct 2021 (CF) and we had all the downsides you mentioned, but also the upsides that @LesR mentioned.

We still ached four weeks after we got home and doubted we would do another Camino.

But, time passes and we are now researching the Norte for September 2022 (Efren Gonzalez, amongst others)

I think all on this forum are a strange breed :cool: and very few of our friends "get it", but we all do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Roseangel
We completed our first camino in Sept/Oct 2021 (CF) and we had all the downsides you mentioned, but also the upsides that @LesR mentioned.

We still ached four weeks after we got home and doubted we would do another Camino.

But, time passes and we are now researching the Norte for September 2022 (Efren Gonzalez, amongst others)

I think all on this forum are a strange breed :cool: and very few of our friends "get it", but we all do.
Methinks you are experiencing the well known phenomenon of "Camino-induced forgetfulness" - a stange condition whereby one forgets certain aspects of walking a Camino, but clearly recalls many other aspects.... Strange....

A couple of days behind you coming from Australia, will start walking Sept 5, leaving Australia September 1 landing in Barcelona, taking time getting to St. Jean Pied de Port.
Sounds like a good plan. I will be a slow walker this time so may see you on the way. Buen Camino

Hi @Roseangel

Congrats on your recent Camino, how wonderful. Yes it does get into your soul and hard to explain to those who haven't walked. It's lovely to be on this forum or attend Camino meet ups and chat about the magic if the Camino. And yes Efrén is a fantastic resource.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola Roseangel!
I'm also planning to start in September. I booked my flights with Qantas points from Sydney to Paris/Biarritz via Hong Kong with Cathay Airways. Then return at the end of October from Madrid with Cathay. Right now there are several issues with Cathay and borders in Hong Kong are closed. I'm hoping things resolve in the coming months.
This will be my first Camino. I am Catholic, so I want to take the opportunity to visit Lourdes before going to SJPDP.
I see that you already booked accommodation for SJPDP. Any recommendation for this?

Muchas gracias y buen camino!

Hola Roseangel!
I'm also planning to start in September. I booked my flights with Qantas points from Sydney to Paris/Biarritz via Hong Kong with Cathay Airways. Then return at the end of October from Madrid with Cathay. Right now there are several issues with Cathay and borders in Hong Kong are closed. I'm hoping things resolve in the coming months.
This will be my first Camino. I am Catholic, so I want to take the opportunity to visit Lourdes before going to SJPDP.
I see that you already booked accommodation for SJPDP. Any recommendation for this?

Muchas gracias y buen camino!
Hola Antananarvio
I flew Cathay last time and stopped over in Hong Kong. How times have changed since 2019 😳
Yes agree things will change, hopefully for the good by September.
I have booked Gite Makila, right near the pilgrim office and pod type bunks. I've stayed there 2018 & 19.
I've also heard Beilari is fantastic too
Have you joined the Blue Mountains Camino group?
So excited for you on your first Camino.
Buen Camino

Hola Antananarvio
I flew Cathay last time and stopped over in Hong Kong. How times have changed since 2019 😳
Yes agree things will change, hopefully for the good by September.
I have booked Gite Makila, right near the pilgrim office and pod type bunks. I've stayed there 2018 & 19.
I've also heard Beilari is fantastic too
Have you joined the Blue Mountains Camino group?
So excited for you on your first Camino.
Buen Camino
Thanks for the info. I'll do some check tin the BM Camino Group. God bless!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back