• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September 2023 Camino Frances

AlephOne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Sept 2023
Greetings, fellow peregrinas & preregrinos, from cold and overcast Ann Arbor, MI, USA.

My wife and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances in 2023. This will be our first what I would term a major hike - we're sadly in the sedentary category, so reading the very helpful posts full of tips and tricks has been most helpful. We are quite a ways away from Sept 2023 but in my experience time flies, so we've begun some planning and also some training. We are fortunate to have a lovely and fairly large metro park near where we live, so we've begun to walk 6+ mile hikes and we try to do these a few times a week, hoping to ramp up to a 12+ mile hike over the weekends, so that we have sorted out shoes/socks, etc. well in advance of the Camino.

We plan to start in StJPdP and continue on to Finisterre.

Covid is obviously of concern as none of us know what is the situation going to be like next year. Will be tracking that closely.

Thanks to @ivar for creating this wonderful resource and to all of you that share your thoughts and advice here.

Warm Regards!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
AlephOne,

Welcome to the Forum.

You and your wife will find lots of tips and advice here to help you plan your camino.

It is important to actively train for the camino and if possible in what you will be wearing and carrying on the camino. That way both your body and your gear will we well tested before you actually set off.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Last edited:
AlephOne,

Welcome to the Forum.

You and your wife will find lots of tips and advice here to help you plan your camino.

It is important to actively train for the camino and if possible in what you will be wearing and carrying on the camino. That way both your body and your gear will we well tested before you actually set off.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,
Thank you Mspath.

Fully agree with you - I've already found a pair of trail runners that appears to work for me and also a back-pack that fits well. Training actively with what we will actually carry and wear is a great idea. Currently I'm carrying weights in my backpack - 21 lbs currently and planning to increase that slowly to build endurance. A terrific benefit from this training is the exercise!

Warm Regards!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are leaving this year in mid September. Planning and training are very important.

I think we have watched every YouTube video multiple times and still we have questions but we also know what to expect.

You have already found this great resource of shared information and wisdom.

We have went thru gear and have seen what works for us and doesn't. We like buying from REI because they have a great return policy.

Good luck.

We are leaving this year in mid September. Planning and training are very important.

I think we have watched every YouTube video multiple times and still we have questions but we also know what to expect.

You have already found this great resource of shared information and wisdom.

We have went thru gear and have seen what works for us and doesn't. We like buying from REI because they have a great return policy.

Good luck.
Thanks, Pierre.

Likewise, we have watched a ton of videos and continue to learn.

With you fully on REI - bought a backpack that they helped fit me with - an Osprey Kestrel. They also helped with trail runners - it seems like the Hoka One Speedgoat 4 works well for me.

Slowly working on the rest. I'm an amateur photographer and planning to carry one camera with one lens and have that sorted out as well. We are very excited and very much looking forward to our Camino.

Buen Camino to you guys. Please do report back on the conditions in September. We too are planning an early to mid-September start as we're not too fond of heat! :)

Warm Regards!

Thanks, Pierre.

Likewise, we have watched a ton of videos and continue to learn.

With you fully on REI - bought a backpack that they helped fit me with - an Osprey Kestrel. They also helped with trail runners - it seems like the Hoka One Speedgoat 4 works well for me.

Slowly working on the rest. I'm an amateur photographer and planning to carry one camera with one lens and have that sorted out as well. We are very excited and very much looking forward to our Camino.

Buen Camino to you guys. Please do report back on the conditions in September. We too are planning an early to mid-September start as we're not too fond of heat! :)

Warm Regards!
We are visiting our old landlord in Germany for a few days the flying to France to see Mont Saint Michel for a day, then driving to Lourdes for a day then returning the rental in Pau for the night then starting late to see SJPP and get to Orisson Refuge.

We tried to break our walking down to 4-5 hours a day, we aren't in a hurry since there are three of us (60-75 YO) going we are mostly staying in pensions and small hotel for the private bath and less noise but also a few albergues too when we want. I mainly used Hotels.com , most I can cancel until a few days prior. You have to be careful if it doesn't find a place in the towns you are going to it goes to the next town nearest and sometimes that could be miles away. When it couldn't fine a place I used Google maps and zoomed in on the town to see what was nearby and then went to website to book.

After Burgos we are driving up to Garabandal for a day or two then back on the trail, after SDC we are doing the Finisterre and maybe a day in Muzia, then going by bus to Fatima. All of these have been on our bucket list for years, we had to wait for my Wife to retire to make it happen.

I'll be using FindPenquins App to show family and friends our progress once we get started, if you DM your email address I'll add you to our list.

Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back