• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September and early October weather

audreykeith

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2018)
I'm hiking the Camino de Frances early September to early October. I was curious to hear how the weather was for anyone that has hiked during that time. I know it's pretty unpredictable, but was hoping to at least get an idea.

Anyone have advice for type of shoes during this time? Water proof hiking boots, water proof trail shoes, or breathable trail shoes?

Also, is a sleeping bag necessary for this time of year or could I get by with just a liner?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hiked CF / Muxia from August 26 to Oct 3, 2016
temperatures through the first 2 weeks were consistently 30-35 C
Cooling in the am's as I traveled further
Entering Galacia there was not as much rain as some talk about, but there were 3 days of down pour and maybe a week of lower temperatures and wind requiring hat, fleece etc
i took a 475 gm down bag that was plenty warm as the nights got colder (Caveat: I did not experience any unheated albergues some talk about, and most -all? had blankets)

I used Brook trail runner as every one had convinced me- in wet weather I was able to get newspaper from hosts to stuff the shoes with to help dry them out. Never missed my boots

Glorious weather, usually. If I was to pick the CF based solely on the weather, that is when I'd go. But I do love the spring flowers and colours, so often for me the spring wins, even though I know it will involve rain. And I have had rain and cold weather in September on the CF, so don't assume it will always be warm and sunny.

I would say absolutely no need for hiking boots of any kind, let alone waterproof ones. You are more likely to get wet feet from sweat than anything else. I take the lightest possible footwear that will last the distance and still give my feet support underneath from sharp rocks and stones - so in my case that is open hiking sandals. Even in rain and mud. I slosh through and dry my feet afterwards - they dry faster than shoes. If you wear socks, the trick is to keep an extra dry pair in a plastic bag so you can don them when needed.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sept/Oct a great time to go. It can be really hot, I got sunburnt on my left side so wear long sleeve, sunscreen. Further on down the mornings were cool/cold. I would layer my down vest under my wind/rain jacket and gloves. I'm glad I brought everything. Oh and I had a lightweight down sleeping bag. So comfy. Not much rain in 2013. I wore New Balance country walkers with smart wool socks, not one blister.

I'm so excited for you. Buen Camino.

We left SJPdP on September 10, 2017 and our first 3 days were wet and cold. Then we didn't have another drop of rain until after reaching Santiago de Compostella over 4 weeks later. Cool/cold mornings particularly on the Meseta and it wasn't overly hot. We were told by locals in Galicia that it had been an abnormally dry autumn.

Between 2012 and 2016 we returned for our annual walks along the CF, always at the end of September into early October. Over the years we experienced very little cold weather or rain. One year late September was extremely hot. We managed fine with silk sleeping bag liners plus albergue blankets. Strong trainers on our feet and walking sandals to give our feet a change after a few hours walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started from SJPDP on 1 Sept 2016. It was extremely hot, the first few weeks there was no cloud cover , just beaming hot sun. By the time I got to Zubiri, I was a bit panicked that I wouldn't cope with the heat but I did acclimatize eventually. We did get a few days rain, 2 weeks in, and it turned cold with that. But warmed up again, thankfully not to the same extent. I was told that it was a particularly hot September. I barely used my sleeping bag.

Sept/Oct a great time to go. It can be really hot, I got sunburnt on my left side so wear long sleeve, sunscreen. Further on down the mornings were cool/cold. I would layer my down vest under my wind/rain jacket and gloves. I'm glad I brought everything. Oh and I had a lightweight down sleeping bag. So comfy. Not much rain in 2013. I wore New Balance country walkers with smart wool socks, not one blister.

I'm so excited for you. Buen Camino.
I can either leave after May 21 OR go in September. My concern is it being too warm. And, yes, I know weather is not predictable, but ... We will probably be on the slower pace so still walking in July most likely. What would you suggest??

Back in 2015 part of my Camino Frances walk was during the month of September from the 1st to the 20th. I did not find it very cold in the mornings and evenings, and the fleece pullover I had worked great. I wore shorts everyday when I walked. It only rained on me two days, I think, so the cheap poncho I carried was sufficient. I found no need for waterproof shoes and wore a pair of Merrell Moabs, shoes not boots. I did not carry a sleeping bag, only a synthetic, faux silk liner.
All in all I found the weather to be wonderful and loved to pick the blackberries along the Camino path and one could see the locals harvesting grapes in the vineyards. Beautiful.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What part of the Camino were you walking during this time? My husband and I begin Sept 4 in SJPdP and end Oct 11 in SdC and am researching weather during this time. Thank you!

My son walked from St jean last Sept/October and it was unusually hot with many fires in Galicia.
Who knows what it will be like this year?

Glorious weather, usually. If I was to pick the CF based solely on the weather, that is when I'd go. But I do love the spring flowers and colours, so often for me the spring wins, even though I know it will involve rain. And I have had rain and cold weather in September on the CF, so don't assume it will always be warm and sunny.

I would say absolutely no need for hiking boots of any kind, let alone waterproof ones. You are more likely to get wet feet from sweat than anything else. I take the lightest possible footwear that will last the distance and still give my feet support underneath from sharp rocks and stones - so in my case that is open hiking sandals. Even in rain and mud. I slosh through and dry my feet afterwards - they dry faster than shoes. If you wear socks, the trick is to keep an extra dry pair in a plastic bag so you can don them when needed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ah good to hear ! I wonder what kind/brand of hiking Sandles you recommend?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back