• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September/April for Pyrenees

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello all!

I want to hike the Camino in either September or April. Which would be the better month for getting through the Pyrenees? Are the passes even open and if so which month would they be most likely to be open? Are the Albergues open in the mountains these times of year?

And the question about what to wear. I am planning to travel light. I wore sandals, shorts and T-shirts exclusively when I hiked from Pamplona to SDC last year, and I'm guessing that won't wash in the Pyrenees. I would want to wear boots and perhaps some Down clothing (or am I wrong?). My plan is to bring the extra footwear and clothing to SJPDP, then DHL them back (to the USA) in Pamplona. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks for any info!

Warmly,

Barry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
September. My friend went in April, and had to take the Valcarlos route because of snow. She also needed to buy warmer clothes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello all!

I want to hike the Camino in either September or April. Which would be the better month for getting through the Pyrenees? Are the passes even open and if so which month would they be most likely to be open? Are the Albergues open in the mountains these times of year?

And the question about what to wear. I am planning to travel light. I wore sandals, shorts and T-shirts exclusively when I hiked from Pamplona to SDC last year, and I'm guessing that won't wash in the Pyrenees. I would want to wear boots and perhaps some Down clothing (or am I wrong?). My plan is to bring the extra footwear and clothing to SJPDP, then DHL them back (to the USA) in Pamplona. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks for any info!

Warmly,

Barry
Hi Barry, I'm walking in September. I too have wondered about warm clothes, boots, sandals, etc. because it will get cooler as it gets into October. I'm wearing my boots for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with temperature and I'm also taking my sandals. Otherwise, I figure if I need it (i.e., a down jacket) I'll get it there -- why lug a bunch of stuff you may not need? I understand that you can get things fairly inexpensively. That having been said I'm still taking a light fleece and long zip-off hiking pants. Buen Camino!

I walked it the last week of September. Going over the mountains was beautiful. The sun was out and I was in heaven. I was in short sleeves the whole day. A few days later I saw a friend’s posting on Facebook. He was five days ahead of me and he had torrential rains. I didn’t even know he was walking the Camino. So there is no telling about the weather. I didn’t need a jacket. The only time it seemed to be cool was in the morning (later on), or when it rained, and then my poncho kept me warm. I had a hat and a light-weight scarf. I wish I had taken light-weight gloves for the morning. Days were pretty warm, too. My pack weighed 10 pounds and I wasn’t willing to add anything to it. As a guy, you can probably carry much more. Enjoy!

September.
You will not need boots - just trail runners.
No need for down - just light layers - you'll be stripping them off after 20 minutes even in the cold.
No need for special clothing over the Pyrenees - they're hills, not mountains.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back