Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

September Frances

Year of past OR future Camino
Hi, I’m Bob (66) from the Robin Hood area of the UK.
Planning to travel to sjpdp on 31/8/21 and start on 1st September, COVID permitting.
Looking forward to the “unknown” with growing excitement and trepidation at the same time.
I’m not sure why it is becoming more and more obsessive.
Training is going well, although not many hills in the Trent Valley, hoping to get into Derbyshire for more testing of the legs, feet and breathing!

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Hi Bob,

You must be very excited since your planned departure is just a few months away. We all have felt that combo of trepidation/excitement before the big day; it's a great tonic!
Please continue to keep in touch as your plans develop.

Happy training and, in the truest sense, Ultreia.

First 2016
Latest Camino Frances Jul-Aug 2020
Planning to travel to sjpdp on 31/8/21 and start on 1st September, COVID permitting.
Looking forward to the “unknown” with growing excitement and trepidation at the same time.
Training is going well, although not many hills in the Trent Valley, hoping to get into Derbyshire for more testing of the legs, feet and breathing!
Good luck with the training.

If you don't have time pressure and haven't booked yet can I suggest taking the train to SJPDP rather than flying. I did this in July from London. I took Eurostar at c8am and was there at about 6pm local time, after changing in Paris and Bayonne.

I realise that you would have to travel and stay in London overnight (or you could overnight in Paris) but it made the journey feel much more like part of the Camino than when I have flown to Spain.

efdoucette

2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
Hi Bob, I'm Eric, from Canada. I like to say that your Camino has already started. The interest, research, training, getting comfortable with shoes and gear, reaching out to this community, and yes the obsession, is all part of the process. Enjoy every bit, even the hills, haha, it will enhance your life forever. Good luck, Buen Camino

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
The French Way (2016), Portuguese Camino (2018),
Keep us posted as the time gets closer

Good luck and Buen Camino, Bob. Glad to hear there are definite plans being made; for me, the anticipation is the beginning of the Camino. All the planning, reading, maps, pictures, etc... are a major part of the trek. Hope you have a safe and wonderful trip.
Next year for me... 2021 is already full of non-Camino activities.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
We all have trepidations before our first Camino. I will start Camino number 6 in Sevilla cone October 15th and I still have some doubts and worries. It is normal and part of the fun. In no time at all you will be walking like a pilgrim. Just listen to your body, find your rhythm and pace and you can’t go wrong. Enjoy it all you are only a virgin pilgrim once!!!

Good luck with the training.

If you don't have time pressure and haven't booked yet can I suggest taking the train to SJPDP rather than flying. I did this in July from London. I took Eurostar at c8am and was there at about 6pm local time, after changing in Paris and Bayonne.

I realise that you would have to travel and stay in London overnight (or you could overnight in Paris) but it made the journey feel much more like part of the Camino than when I have flown to Spain.
Great minds!
I am waiting for ECML to sort out their timetable so I can leave Newark just before 6 and as you say arrive in SJPDP at 18:11!
I had hoped to walk on to Orisson but can’t make their mealtime of 18:30, so it looks like an overnight in SJPDP & off for the “adventure “

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Francés, Oct 2020
Great minds!
I am waiting for ECML to sort out their timetable so I can leave Newark just before 6 and as you say arrive in SJPDP at 18:11!
I had hoped to walk on to Orisson but can’t make their mealtime of 18:30, so it looks like an overnight in SJPDP & off for the “adventure “
I’m so glad that I stopped at Orisson for the first night. It was very strange having the hostel to my self, but it allowed me to arrive at Roncavelles without any leg injuries the following day. It would have been a tough first day otherwise, as many of the walkers I met the second night confirmed.

Canada Wanders

Lost, but making great time...
CF 2015
CP 2018
We loved the walk in the Sept. weather when we went, and stayed in Orissa the first night as well, just to shake off the jet lag.
My only suggestion for training is make sure you actually walk with your weighted pack, we ran into a lot of people who spent all their training time time walking distance, but without the weight. A pack will change your pace a bit.
Will also encourage you to ensure what you have in the pack is 100% needed!
Otherwise, enjoy!

Stroller

Norte (2015), Frances (2016)
You won't regret training on hills WITH your loaded pack particularly in the first week of the camino. I live and trained in East Anglia and did regret not doing much more on the hills. Unfortunately they are in short supply here. Good luck.

Last edited:
Great minds!
I also have a flight booked out of Newark (departs 7:30pm) Sept 1 and arrives in Madrid the next morning. I'm going on to Pamplona and will relax and take a jet lag day. A day in SJPP is always a good time, too. It's a refundable ticket. We shall see!

Camino Frances (2017); Camino a Muxia (2017)
I'm looking at a late August start and early October finish on the Frances from Burgos to Santiago. Considering the Camino de Madrid as an alternative if I hear albergues are going to be too full. I've been training since my plans for last year were canceled. I've done a number of virtual walks in that time (Camino Frances, GR20 in Corsica, John Muir Trail, Scottish Highlands Way and the Superior Hiking Trail) but there's a hunger only the real thing can provide.

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Magnets

Lurch

looking at 2018-2019
I am planning on a 3-week journet sometime in early September, date dependent on the cheap air fares. Start in Roncevalles and end up in Burgos. Hopefully, will have a few days left over so I can bus back to SJPdP and work my way up the Pyrenees. At 76 with bad knees and back, doing the climb first might result in my spending 3 weeks on my back. Walked from Burgos to Carrion 3 years ago, then from Lugo to Santiago. At this rate I will be in my 80s when I complete the Camino!

You won't regret training on hills WITH your loaded pack particularly in the first week of the camino. I live and trained in East Anglia and did regret not doing much more on the hills. Unfortunately they are in short supply here. Good luck.
Having lived in Sudbury for many years, yes there are similar hill issues to Newark. I am a little fortunate in having Derbyshire about 3/4 - an hour away.

I'm looking at a late August start and early October finish on the Frances from Burgos to Santiago. Considering the Camino de Madrid as an alternative if I hear albergues are going to be too full. I've been training since my plans for last year were canceled. I've done a number of virtual walks in that time (Camino Frances, GR20 in Corsica, John Muir Trail, Scottish Highlands Way and the Superior Hiking Trail) but there's a hunger only the real thing can provide.
Can I suggest you add the West Highland Way to your list, fabulous scenery all the way. Just watch out for the migies from middle of May to August. Only about 5 - 6 day walk, and it may rain :) .

Camino Magnets
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

Lurch

looking at 2018-2019
I am planning on a 3-week journet sometime in early September, date dependent on the cheap air fares. Start in Roncevalles and end up in Burgos. Hopefully, will have a few days left over so I can bus back to SJPdP and work my way up the Pyrenees. At 76 with bad knees and back, doing the climb first might result in my spending 3 weeks on my back. Walked from Burgos to Carrion 3 years ago, then from Lugo to Santiago. At this rate I will be in my 80s when I complete the Camino!
Should read Leon

jrewins

Camino bound from California ground!
Hi Bob - Looks like you’ll be about 2 weeks ahead of me, so I doubt I’ll meet you on the Camino. Take care of your back & knees so yo can enjoy that adventure. I share your trepidation as I too am working through an aging and uncooperative back. But I’m driven by a quote (often used by a good friend) from George Adair: “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear”. Buen Camino to you as well!

CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Hi JREwing,
We’re on countdown 114 days for you and 128 for me!
I think the biggest concern is the day after day after day routine. However, I take positive thoughts from those who have completed with more years and in some cases much worse health. So sitting with a cup of tea in the spring morning sunshine and eagerly looking forward to the ups and downs (physical and mental and geographic). Bob

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
All taken into accounts, I will likely be less than a week ahead of you. Keep an eye out, especially at the wine fountain at Irache, just past Estella. I may be found sitting on a bench enjoying the current vintage.
Do find a big bench Arn; your digital friends might wish to also take a cup for Auld Lang Syne.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
All taken into accounts, I will likely be less than a week ahead of you. Keep an eye out, especially at the wine fountain at Irache, just past Estella. I may be found sitting on a bench enjoying the current vintage.
With covid very much in the picture will the monks seriously have that fountain open? I, for one, will not stop there in Sept.21!

Arn

Veteran Member
The next step is taken: new boots to break in New Balance 978. These are the next generation of the 900 series I have worn the past four Caminos. Black Diamond Distance Z sticks. At under $100, these are looking to be a big assistance to my stride and physical condition. And, lastly (at least for now), a new neckerchief. My old one has finally gotten threadbare, so time for a replacement.
All said, reading information on the Forum, the Camino Discussion Group and other credible sources, I am confident this Fall will see me and many others walking the Way.

Donation to the Forum
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
With covid very much in the picture will the monks seriously have that fountain open? I, for one, will not stop there in Sept.21!
I can't see a problem if you take your own cup (not bottle please). The Riojas and Navarras I've consumed over the last few months have kept me remarkably free of all sorts of diabolical infections ;)

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
The next step is taken: new boots to break in New Balance 978. These are the next generation of the 900 series I have worn the past four Caminos. Black Diamond Distance Z sticks. At under $100, these are looking to be a big assistance to my stride and physical condition. And, lastly (at least for now), a new neckerchief. My old one has finally gotten threadbare, so time for a replacement.
All said, reading information on the Forum, the Camino Discussion Group and other credible sources, I am confident this Fall will see me and many others walking the Way.
Arn, you are such a positive person...kudos to you..I hope all goes well for your August departure. I will be following with interest as you hopefully lead the pack for USA citizens! 👍

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads