• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino September from SJPP

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
I got so much help from this forum I wanted to give an update from the Camino even though I have been avoiding the net otherwise on my way.

It is peak season from SJPP and it is very busy. Accommodation is in high demand but only the walkers arriving after 3 or 4 without reservations have had any difficulty in a few places. Everyone gets a bed somewhere eventually.

SJPP was one of the crunch spots I suggest you reserve in advance. The only walkers I have met who had bed bugs were all from SJPP choose carefully. Also reserve at Roncesvalles. Note that the queue at Roncesvalles took 2 hours if you arrived at 3pm even with a reservation.

The weather has been fantastic for walking, cool and mostly dry. It is dark here until about 7:15 most days so easy to enjoy the sunrise on clear mornings.

I am loving my camino and I look forward to the rest of the way.

I will not be online much but I will try to answer any questions, and probably post another couple of updates along the way.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I should add that I found the advice on here was very accurate for me.
I am very happy with what I packed. Yes get poles and earplugs. I probably would bring a sleeping bag next time.
Staying at Orisson is a good move. Walk slowly within your capacity for the first few days I have had no major foot or leg problems so far

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As my husband and I will be walking in September in 2018 (still some time away unfortunately) I'm keen to see accommodation and weather conditions so many thanks for your posts. Buen Camino Nomad.

Thanks for the updates NomadBoomer. I will begin the CF next week. It's always good to have updates from pilgrims currently on route particularly in relation to crowds/hotspots. Please keep on posting. Buen Camino.

I would like to 'ditto' Nomad's comments....the Camino is packed with Pilgrims! We're in Viana tonight and I've passed quite a few frantic folks because there is 'no room at the inn'. I understand that for some the allure of setting off and not knowing where you'll end the day is appealing BUT....please make reservations ahead!!!!! If you feel like walking farther, then cancel those reservations and know that another Pilgrim will be doing a happy dance to have stumbled upon a place to sleep.

And another suggestion.....I have rejoiced to have a Buff (something I never heard of until this forum). The weather has been cool (the locals say frio, cold) with a wind that is icy at times. The Buff is perfect for those chilly blasts.

I wish I had brought a fleece that totally unzipped because I've put my over the head fleece on and taken it off at least 1,000 times today. That's a real pain with a backpack - ugh!

I've also been thankful for large diaper pins!

Wishing everyone a Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Nomad and Francis for the updates, please keep them coming if you can. Buena suerte. God bless, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I fly out to Madrid next Wednesday (Sept 20th) and will start in Pamplona. I go back and forth on sleeping bag (3.6 pounds) ans sleeping bag liner (1.5 pounds) * note I am a large guy and a regular size sleeping bag does not work for me so the bag I have is a Big Agnes and 3.6 pounds is about as lightweight as you can get for my size. Anyway, I plan to just take the liner to save on weight. I hope I do not regret it. Hope you are having fun.

I have a question....many of the Camino markers between SJPP to Navarrete have a hand written "Wild Sheep". Does anyone know who/what this means?????

I fly out to Madrid next Wednesday (Sept 20th) and will start in Pamplona. I go back and forth on sleeping bag (3.6 pounds) ans sleeping bag liner (1.5 pounds) * note I am a large guy and a regular size sleeping bag does not work for me so the bag I have is a Big Agnes and 3.6 pounds is about as lightweight as you can get for my size. Anyway, I plan to just take the liner to save on weight. I hope I do not regret it. Hope you are having fun.

Hi @Mark Barnes
I started from Pamplona 2 years ago on September 17th. I questioned why I packed my sleeping bag for the first 2 - 3 weeks - very warm weather. By the middle of October I was glad I had it. Many are happy with the blankets that are available - I find them heavy (weight wise). My sleeping bag is an extra/tall Big Agnes that weighs 1.5 pounds.

A beautiful time of the year. Enjoy and Buen Camino

Hi @markbarnes. I am in Azofra tonight. I have only packed a silk liner & not a sleeping bag. The nights are cooler & not all albergue 's offer a blanket. So far I have slept in my clothes & liner twice & been ok. So who knows. The locals are saying that it is a little cooler than usual. But it is doable. Who knows, maybe I will have to give in & buy a blanket before the end. So far so good. Buen Camino. CL

Hi @Mark Barnes
I started from Pamplona 2 years ago on September 17th. I questioned why I packed my sleeping bag for the first 2 - 3 weeks - very warm weather. By the middle of October I was glad I had it. Many are happy with the blankets that are available - I find them heavy (weight wise). My sleeping bag is an extra/tall Big Agnes that weighs 1.5 pounds.

A beautiful time of the year. Enjoy and Buen Camino
I have the
Big Agnes - Buffalo Park 40 Sleeping Bag and love it. I have been going back and forth between taking this or a liner. I think you may have tilted the decision toward taking the Big Agnes. Thanks for the insight. I leave in four days and it is great to hear from you guys that are on the Camino now. Thanks.

As my husband and I will be walking in September in 2018 (still some time away unfortunately) I'm keen to see accommodation and weather conditions so many thanks for your posts. Buen Camino Nomad.
We are also walking September 2018!

I have the
Big Agnes - Buffalo Park 40 Sleeping Bag and love it. I have been going back and forth between taking this or a liner. I think you may have tilted the decision toward taking the Big Agnes. Thanks for the insight. I leave in four days and it is great to hear from you guys that are on the Camino now. Thanks.

I am in Ventosa tonight. Was just thinking today while walking how glad I was I brought my sleeping bag. (Marmot 40degrees down). I also am glad I brought a silk sheet saturated in Permethin. It goes down on whatever my bag is going on.

I have a question....many of the Camino markers between SJPP to Navarrete have a hand written "Wild Sheep". Does anyone know who/what this means?????

It's a band. I'd like to feed the disrespectful idiot who plastered this crap along the Camino to wild sheep.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just another plea to make reservations! We were in Hornillos del Camino last night - totally booked. Almost everyone we chat with has at least one horror story of not finding a place to sleep - taxis back several town or ahead, expensive hotel accommodations. There is a serious lack of lodging. Please be prepared!!!

Just another plea to make reservations! We were in Hornillos del Camino last night - totally booked. Almost everyone we chat with has at least one horror story of not finding a place to sleep - taxis back several town or ahead, expensive hotel accommodations. There is a serious lack of lodging. Please be prepared!!!

I'm behind you and can concur. There is no "bubble", it's one big wave. People on the Camino now are calling it the "Gray Wave" b/c of the large percentage of older folks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am in Ventosa tonight. Was just thinking today while walking how glad I was I brought my sleeping bag. (Marmot 40degrees down). I also am glad I brought a silk sheet saturated in Permethin. It goes down on whatever my bag is going on.
I am in Pamplona tonight and I am glad I did bring my Big Agnes bag. Again thanks for those on the trail posting to aid those about to leave.

I am in Pamplona and am shocked at how many people are here. I thought this would be getting to the slow season. I am also seeing "the race for beds"

It's a band. I'd like to feed the disrespectful idiot who plastered this crap along the Camino to wild sheep.
I wonder if this is the same idiot who removed distance plaques from those beautiful Camino signs in La Rioja.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back