• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September-October 2015

Joyisstrength

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2019
Hey all,
I'm going on my first Camino this fall and I am going solo which is an intense idea for me, both thrilling and scary. I am a wife and mother of two young kids.

My planning is all in the beginning stages, but I am interested in others' experiences of weather at that time of the year on the Frances and tips on gear for the fall. I am pretty sure I'll be starting at SJPP.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Joyisstrength,

Welcome to the Forum!
You will find lots of good info here to help you plan your camino. Autumn is a great tme to walk with cooler sunny days and generally few crowds than during the busy season. I have often walked late autumn/winter on the CF. Perhaps you would find my kit list to be helpful for your planning. Don't forget to test all you kit and to break in your boots before you set off.

Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you, Margaret! I'll be checking out the kit list that you linked. :)

Update: Just bookmarked it. A great resource!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey all,
I'm going on my first Camino this fall and I am going solo which is an intense idea for me, both thrilling and scary. I am a wife and mother of two young kids.

My planning is all in the beginning stages, but I am interested in others' experiences of weather at that time of the year on the Frances and tips on gear for the fall. I am pretty sure I'll be starting at SJPP.

Hi, you don't have to be scared /nervous. My wife was nervous for about 3 minutes when she started here Camino from SJPdP in 2013. She met at the beginning this wonderful lady, and it was her first time to but they found each other and it worked. Both of them where not nervous anymore. They walked together for a few days and after the Pyrenees they walked there one way. During the Camino they met several times along the way, that was great for here .I wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hey all,

Hi
I'm also on my first camino starting from SJPdP in September, whereas you're in the early stages of planning, I'm almost complete.
I have found this web site so helpful it has made life so easy for me, and I'm sure once you get your big list of questions you'll find the same.
If you need any help with questions please don't hesitate to ask, bearing in mind the only reason I might know the answers is because I've already asked it, and the replies and advice has been abundant.

I have found the planning to be a really enjoyable part of the process, although my wife says I'm becoming a camino bore.

Happy planning.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey all,

We started at SJpdP last Sept 5. It was in the 80's by late afternoon encouraging early morning start with the roosters. By Leon the temperatures were cooler with warm rain in Galicia. I rarely wore long shirts or long pants.

I am starting my Camino last week of August, so the main part of the walk will be during September. I expect to reach Santiago and Finisterra early October.

This forum has been an invaluable well of information when it comes to practical preparations; what to bring, how to do this and that and also addressing psychological concerns on "life on the Camino" when used to a more comfortable way of traveling. It does seem like the Camino is not quite the same as back packing in South East Asia. Some things seem quite easy and simple on the Camino, while other things more cumbersome.

Buen Camino
I went at that time last year and found it pleasant for walking, do take some wet weather gear (I didn't have a great success with poncho) also get good insoles for your boots , an additional expense but worth it, never had a blister, travel with a light pack, I weighed everything fastidiously! make sure you've done some hearty walking beforehand!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey all,

Hi I am starting CP Coastal route in October from Porto. I do not know what map to look at as there are so many ...I have 10 days to reach Santiago and would prefer quite route..any tips where to start with accommodation in Porto? I prefer religious places to stay with any tips? many thanks anna

Hey all,

Lovely time to choose, for your first Camino. Pamplona is a good start point to consider.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Watch out for the old guy <- in the picture to the left <- white beard, Aussie bush hat, I'll be there too!

JoyisStrength,
Welcome! You are about to embark on an adventure of a lifetime! I am thrilled for you.

There are some YouTube videos out there on other's packing tips. Just search in YouTube for "Camino" and you will find a few. I am actually working on developing my packing list and YouTube videos, for I have a passion on helping others prepare for their Camino endeavor. Stay tuned on my site: http://caminoconcierge.com. Right now I am posting my daily journey on my site with tips littered throughout. By the way, I did walk in the autumn. If you contact me on my site, I am happy to answer any questions I can for you.

I went over alone (from Scottsdale, AZ), prepared in THREE days, and ended up meeting another gal from Colorado (mom of three) on the very first day. She and I became friends and walked most of the Camino together. You will be amazed how quickly you will connect with others, and will never be alone, even after the busy season.

I hope I can help in any way I can.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey all,

My wife and I will start at SJPP the last week in September. From the research I've done the weather should be pretty good, although there may be some snow in the mountains.

I hope we meet.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.