• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September-October Camino?

Richard Ray

Not What He Once Was
Time of past OR future Camino
A friend and I are hoping to begin from St. Jean in September. Our thinking is that we might avoid the worst of the summer heat and crowds. True? I'd like to hear back from others who have walked in the Fall to get their perspective. Thanks.

Rich

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
September/October normally has reasonably good weather, but prepare for occasional rain. Crowds are getting less, you will find a bed, but not always in your favourite albergue. It is a really good time to walk the CF and I wish you a Buen Camino, SY

A friend and I are hoping to begin from St. Jean in September. Our thinking is that we might avoid the worst of the summer heat and crowds. True? I'd like to hear back from others who have walked in the Fall to get their perspective. Thanks.

Rich
Hi Rich, there is a thread that has a list of people who will be walking Sept. and Oct. Check it out! I have also joined this list. Good luck

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once I started around Sept 7th and it was really really really hot!
As a matter of fact I collapsed arriving in Zubiri due to dehydration.

After pamplona the weather was perfect although most of the fields were dry and burnt from the heat.

In Galicia it was raining a lot but,well...Is there any week during the whole year that goes without raining in Galicia?

The Camino was pretty busy (at least by my standards) but I never had problems finding a bed. In Zubiri I got the last bed of the municipal but after that it was all good!

That was in 2009... I know 2016 is a holy year and all but many many albergues have opened since then along the Camino Frances...so I reckon you shouldn't have a problem!

Go for it!you'll have the time of your life!

Ultreia y Buen Camino!

Hi Richard,
I walked the camino frances last fall, starting the end of September. By the time I got near Santiago, a lot of albergues were closed for the season. Going earlier in the month, you should not have that problem. I had two weeks of steady rain, but not downpours, oddly enough on the meseta, not in Galicia. The temperature was pleasant for walking. This year, I am going two weeks earlier, but am starting in Oloron Ste Marie, on the camino d'Arles, so will be heading into the Pyrenees, where temperatures may be lower, and planning on arriving in Santiago in early November. You don't say where you are from, but for most of us who come from a temperate climate September/ October is a good time to walk and not too crowded. Buen camino to both of you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Richard,
I walked the SJPP to SDC throughout September of 2013. Started the last week of August actually. We had a light drizzle only one night that made for a bit of muddy slogging for a short while and some light rain the day we walked into SDC, that was it. Temperatures were mid-20s c (70 - 80+ F). Get used to being sweaty. We never got into the whole reserve ahead or race to the next albergue mentality. There was no where we couldn't find a bed. For my wife and I if we had to do it like that I'd probably just pick a more traditional vacation. To me, the albergue race just sucks the soul out of the journey. So, from that perspective I think September is a great time to go. This September we are walking the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Mucia.
Bom Camino
I'll be walking the last two weeks of August and most of September. I can handle 30c days, in fact I walked 9 miles yesterday afternoon at just about that temperature, without much shade, but hope that I don't encounter 40 degree days!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
:p:D
For my wife and I if we had to do it like that I'd probably just pick a more traditional vacation. To me, the albergue race just sucks the soul out of the journey.

Exactly how I feel!
Ultreia for simplicity and expontaneous Camino!

Hi Richard,
I walked the camino frances last fall, starting the end of September. By the time I got near Santiago, a lot of albergues were closed for the season. Going earlier in the month, you should not have that problem. I had two weeks of steady rain, but not downpours, oddly enough on the meseta, not in Galicia. The temperature was pleasant for walking. This year, I am going two weeks earlier, but am starting in Oloron Ste Marie, on the camino d'Arles, so will be heading into the Pyrenees, where temperatures may be lower, and planning on arriving in Santiago in early November. You don't say where you are from, but for most of us who come from a temperate climate September/ October is a good time to walk and not too crowded. Buen camino to both of you.
I'll be starting from Lourdes 31st August and walking past Oloron three days after on my way to SJPdP and onto SdC. Can't wait!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Rich
I walked the last week of August and all of September of 2013. It was my experience that in the beginning we had some hot days. Most days the weather was warm. It was only when we got to Galicia that it started lightening, thundering and pouring rain through the woods and partly into Santiago. I believe that it is the best time to go.
Buen Camino

Hi Rich, there is a thread that has a list of people who will be walking Sept. and Oct. Check it out! I have also joined this list. Good luck
Thanks Rupe (and everyone else who responded to my question about making the pilgramage in Sept-Oct). Rupe - I'm new to this site and don't know how to locate the thread on Sept-Oct discussions. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks again.

Rich

Richard; I started my Camino on September 7, 2015 and completed mid October. I found the weather just great for walking with cool mornings sometimes necessitating a thin pair of gloves as the morning temps were 3 to 4 degrees Celsius. But as soon as the sun was up blue skies and mild temps made it great for long distance walking. The longer you delay your start the days get shorter and a longer time walking in the dark in the morning. I was lucky to only have rain for two days, more like a monsoon on either side of O'Cebreriro. At this time of the year, walking across the Mesata for a couple of weeks is a bit drab as the fields have been ploughed except for a few straggly sun flowers. All the best.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Rupe (and everyone else who responded to my question about making the pilgramage in Sept-Oct). Rupe - I'm new to this site and don't know how to locate the thread on Sept-Oct discussions. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks again.

Rich
Here's a link to the September/October thread
This site also has a Calendar feature where you can put your start date/route information

Rich
Only did Sarria-Santiago in mid September 2015 but found weather was very comfortable in Galicia. Mornings were foggy and about 45 degrees until sun came out and 70 degrees on average . Prepare for rain however and wonderful countryside . Breathe it all in !

Three caminos at that time of year:
2001 - warm and dry at first, very wet on the mesata, warm and dry in Gallicia, unbelievably wet in SdC
2003 - soaked everyday from SJPP to Estella, dry after that until Palas then damp until SdC
2012 - fabulous weather all the way to Portomarin then poured every day until SdC.
Wouldn't walk a camino without my Altus after that!
Never had too much of a problem getting a bed and there's a lot more choice nowadays.
You WILL have the grape harvest in Rioja, Navarra, Bierzo. Wild almonds and wayside apples and, of course "Spanish" chestnuts plus autumn crocuses all along the way.
Have a great time!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll be starting from Lourdes 31st August and walking past Oloron three days after on my way to SJPdP and onto SdC. Can't wait!
We should be starting from there also, about the same time. How are getting there, Lourdes that is?

We should be starting from there also, about the same time. How are getting there, Lourdes that is?
Oh, sorry Steve, I didn't realise you live in Wales. In that case, I suspect you might be travelling to Biarritz/Bayonne...(?). If so, the easiest thing would be to catch the train from there to Lourdes. I'm travelling from the other end. Might see you on the trail!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back