• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September-October equipment list

Novos

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hi,

I'll be walking the Camino Frances during September and October and my preparations are nearly finished.

Here's my equipment list, let me know if you have any suggestions or comments- I know it's pretty common but i think it might be just too much:

Gregory Z40 bag
Long sleeved shirt for warm weather -2 (3?)
Regular shirt for evening - 1
Traveling pants - 2
Pants for sleeping - 1
Underwear - 2
Socks- 2 (3?)
Sweatshirt - 1
The north face hedgehog mid gtx shoes
Plastic bottles 0.5 L - 2
Sandals
Travel towel
Sleeping liner
Toothbrush
Toothpaste travel version
Wash bag
Body soap
Trekking pole ? (1-2?)
Money belt
Hat
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Nylon bags - 4
Phone charger
Pencils - 2
Poncho
Footbed + Orthotics
Toilet paper - 1
Roll on deodorant
Camera?
Clothespins - 4
Watch
Earbuds
Shampoo travel version
Earplugs?
Advil pills
Vaseline
Muscle pain relief gel
Wallet

Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Novos,

First things first--my recommendation would be to weigh everything in grams and write it all down. Everything (your list above has a phone charger, but no phone, which I suspect for you is just a given). Just that exercise will help you make much better decisions.

That being said, I'd look to save weight as follows:
1) just two pants. No need for sleeping pants, just wear the second pair. Walking that far everyday, you'd sleep like the dead if you were wearing a full set of plate armor.
2) just two shirts (not three)--and no need for "regular shirt" for evening. Just wear the other one.
3) socks--I'd go with three. I need to keep my feet dry, and changing socks frequently during the day helps.
4) ear plugs--definitely. You would not believe the snoring I heard
5) I'm wondering about sandals. Depends on type. If I brought a pair, it'd be a pair I could walk in (Keens or Tevas). In fact, I mostly walk in Keen Arroyo II sandals, but that is different thread.
6) trekking poles--saved my knees. YMMV
7) lose the clothespins (single use item) and take saftety pins instead (multiple uses)--and take and many more than just 4--you'll lose a few.

Buen Camino
Jo Jo
p.s. with some luck, we may be back for a second pilgrimage that same time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Novos,

First things first--my recommendation would be to weigh everything in grams and write it all down. Everything (your list above has a phone charger, but no phone, which I suspect for you is just a given). Just that exercise will help you make much better decisions.

That being said, I'd look to save weight as follows:
1) just two pants. No need for sleeping pants, just wear the second pair. Walking that far everyday, you'd sleep like the dead if you were wearing a full set of plate armor.
2) just two shirts (not three)--and no need for "regular shirt" for evening. Just wear the other one.
3) socks--I'd go with three. I need to keep my feet dry, and changing socks frequently during the day helps.
4) ear plugs--definitely. You would not believe the snoring I heard
5) I'm wondering about sandals. Depends on type. If I brought a pair, it'd be a pair I could walk in (Keens or Tevas). In fact, I mostly walk in Keen Arroyo II sandals, but that is different thread.
6) trekking poles--saved my knees. YMMV
7) lose the clothespins (single use item) and take saftety pins instead (multiple uses)--and take and many more than just 4--you'll lose a few.

Buen Camino
Jo Jo
p.s. with some luck, we may be back for a second pilgrimage that same time.

Thanks for your reply.
About the sandals- i already bought a lightweight pair that suits for walking in cities etc, not hiking.

Thanks for your reply.
About the sandals- i already bought a lightweight pair that suits for walking in cities etc, not hiking.

Hi Novos

A lot of people take duel use sandals with a good sole that can be used for hiking and around town in the evenings (as I do). The reason for this is if they get a foot injury or something happens to your hiking footwear you can at a push use your sandals to get to where you need to be. Duel use items are always the best bet.

Davey

oh, i forgot
8) sweatshirt. If that is cotton (as most are), that is both heavy and potentially dangerous if it gets wet and you need it to keep you warm. You can do much warmer for less weight with a woof sweater or nylon fleece. Personally, I carry down, which if much less weight, although I have to be very careful not to get it wet.

Sandals--if they are just for the alburgues/cities, I think you will eventually leave them behind or mail them home. They will not be worth the weight.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you plan to stay in albergues I would definitely take a sleeping bag in September/October and not only just a liner! Buen Camino, SY

Socks - you will need more to change them quite frequently. I'd say at least three. They are essential for comfort and avoiding blisters. Remember, there are days when, for one reason or another, you will not be able to do your laundry, or it will not be dry in the clothesline.
Seems you are expecting a mild weather, but nights in October may be quite cold. In the trekking shop at Virgen del Camino I saw the first week of this month, last year, many pilgrims buying fleeces. And when I arrived in Compostela, it was definitely cold after sunset.
As always, with weather you never know for sure.

Last edited:
Unless you are a techie photographer, your phone should take ok pictures. You don't need a watch either - your phone will do. Does your liner cover the pillow? Sept / Oct you are better off with a light sleeping bag and a pillowcase, with the liner as optional. Remember that Spanish pillows are long and thin: I made my own out of a silk off cut. You can sleep in underpants and the following day's t shirt.
Have you included your guidebook? You can cut it into sections and discard or post home as you go.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
i walked last year 2015 starting on sept 1st 2015...i wore shorts the whole way with easy dri t-shirts 2 and one long sleeve. it did get a bit nippy in the morning toward the end. the municipals don't offer blankets but the alberges do..i just brought a liner. 3 sets of clothes means you get a day off from laundry. these are just a few things off the top of my head

I only took x1 1 litre flexible roll up water bottle. Plenty of places to keep it topped up on the way. Then roll it up and tuck it away at night. I threw away my deodorant on the second day. Quick wash morning and eve was enough. Some of us picked lavender on the walk and tucked it into button holes, pockets, hats. Good Ear plugs are essential! I took 2 linen longsleeve shirts. They dry quickly and the creases drop out. No need for a regular evening shirt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

I'll be walking the Camino Frances during September and October and my preparations are nearly finished.

Here's my equipment list, let me know if you have any suggestions or comments- I know it's pretty common but i think it might be just too much:

Gregory Z40 bag
Traveling pants - 2
Pants for sleeping - 1
Underwear - 2
Socks- 2 (3?)
Sweatshirt - 1
Sandals
Travel towel
Sleeping liner
Toothbrush
Wash bag
Body soap
Trekking pole ? (1-2?)
Money belt
Hat
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Nylon bags - 4
Phone charger
Pencils - 2
Poncho
Footbed + Orthotics
Toilet paper - 1
Roll on deodorant
Camera?
Clothespins - 4
Watch
Earbuds
Shampoo travel version
Earplugs?
Advil pills
Vaseline
Muscle pain relief gel
Wallet

Thank you.

Hi :)

About sandals... I did my camino francés in a pair of sandals :)
My recommendation is to use talc-powder onto your foot, into your socks (2-3).
Nylon bags? Not necessary, but hiking sticks absolutely YES!!!

Judit :)

Hi Novos

A lot of people take duel use sandals with a good sole that can be used for hiking and around town in the evenings (as I do). The reason for this is if they get a foot injury or something happens to your hiking footwear you can at a push use your sandals to get to where you need to be. Duel use items are always the best bet.

Davey
My Teva sandals saved my Camino when I got blisters. So much easier on the feet, and I could use them at night or in the shower.

I'm with @SYates on the bag - took a "normal" one on my first autumn Camino but on the next two just took a fleece liner and a silk liner. VERY warm as a combo also versatile - you can use one or the other or both.
October can be wet and cold.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

Gregory Z40 bag
Traveling pants - 2
Pants for sleeping - 1
Underwear - 2
Socks- 2 (3?)
Sweatshirt - 1
Sandals
Travel towel
Sleeping liner
Toothbrush
Wash bag
Body soap
Trekking pole ? (1-2?)
Money belt
Hat
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Nylon bags - 4
Phone charger
Pencils - 2
Poncho
Footbed + Orthotics
Toilet paper - 1
Roll on deodorant
Camera?
Clothespins - 4
Watch
Earbuds
Shampoo travel version
Earplugs?
Advil pills
Vaseline
Muscle pain relief gel
Wallet

Thank you.
Your list is too complete, ask what you need and what you want? Bring safety pins instead of clothes-pins. Can the wallet be small and light weight like a nylon change-purse? Small prepacked wipes have more uses than TP. Are the nylon bags waterproof? Socks 3. Do Not bring Cotton clothing, underwear, shirts, sweatshirt. Maybe a t-shirt or longsleeve, thermal, light weight undershirt. You haven't included a jacket, I bring a Goretex jacket instead of a poncho which I find to be more useful. I hope this helps........ Ultreya....... Willy/Utah/USA

Hi,

Gregory Z40 bag
Traveling pants - 2
Pants for sleeping - 1
Underwear - 2
Socks- 2 (3?)
Sweatshirt - 1
Sandals
Travel towel
Sleeping liner
Toothbrush
Wash bag
Body soap
Trekking pole ? (1-2?)
Money belt
Hat
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Nylon bags - 4
Phone charger
Pencils - 2
Poncho
Footbed + Orthotics
Toilet paper - 1
Roll on deodorant
Camera?
Clothespins - 4
Watch
Earbuds
Shampoo travel version
Earplugs?
Advil pills
Vaseline
Muscle pain relief gel
Wallet

Thank you.
Last year in Roncevalles in mid September there were no blankets. It was freezing! My sleeping bag saved the day then and about 3 other nights throughout October. I also carried a down light weight jacket. Nights were chilly and I used it every day.

I'm also doing the CF (my first Camino) in mid-Sept through late Oct and my preparations are just about zipped up, too. My list looks a lot like yours, along with a fleece pullover. Yesterday I finally broke out the scale and weighed everything. Shocker! This tiny pile of my "worldly possessions" that I could fit atop a pillow weigh 7864 grams/17.3lbs, two pounds over what I'm determined it will be when I step foot in St Jean! All to say, do your weights if you haven't yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Head torch was suggested to me, that being said, most mobile phones have built in torches. Hopefully not be ever needed but have heard many carry a lightweight whistle for emergencies.
Travelling in September myself for footwear was going to take my walking boots and flip flops which are light. Is it worth instead of flips getting a pair of sandals of some kind.

Head torch was suggested to me, that being said, most mobile phones have built in torches. Hopefully not be ever needed but have heard many carry a lightweight whistle for emergencies.
Travelling in September myself for footwear was going to take my walking boots and flip flops which are light. Is it worth instead of flips getting a pair of sandals of some kind.

For sandals refer to my post above. For headtorch, (I am not talking for use in albergues) it depends on if you intend leaving the albergues very early before dawn. If so take one, it will be needed, but not if you set off just as the sun comes up. A whistle is not 'needed' though there is no harm it taking one, though some rucksacks like the Ospreys have one fitted on the sternum strap as standard.

Davey

The first items that should be on any packing list are the basic items needed in case of an emergency. A whistle, torch, waterproofs, a basic first aid kit and small amount of extra food. A phone is also worth carrying. It is inexcusable for anyone to suggest these items are not needed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i think it might be just too much:
Pants for sleeping - 1
Sweatshirt - 1
Roll on deodorant
Shampoo travel version
I would suggest short for sleeping even in the fall. A synthetic fleece jacket or windbreaker might be better than a sweatshirt. A one liter bottle weighs the same as a .5 liter bottle. If you find you need a second bottle, buy a regular bottle of water in Spain and refill it. No one will know you used a deodorant. Wash your hair with your body soap. Something like CampSoap works for clothes, body, and hair. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back