• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September or October

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
September or October on the coastal route from Porto. Which would you choose and why? Or if you’ve walked September how was it weather wise? Same for October. Thanks!

I know and understand weather is unpredictable. I’m asking for preferences and experience. ☺️ I’m planning to start walking around the 6th of the month, either month.

Buen Camino 😎👣

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
Walked this year from Porto on the Coastal, Senda Litoral and Espiritual arrived Porto on 17th Sept and arrived Santiago 10th Oct flew home on the 13th!
Windy a couple of days and one full day of rain from Redondela!
Rest of the journey weather great, lots of sun although not all day everyday.
Temperatures averaged after early morning chill; 20 to 27 degrees Celsius take enough water!
(I got a bit dehydrated on the wet day from Redondela; it was warm but wet which was cooling but i missed a fuente or maybe two had drunk my 5 x 330ml bottles expecting something to turn up it didn't lesson learned)
Added these two vids the mention of my hair was a joke for the family; as i haven't got enough hair to worry about! I think my commentary always sounds a bit like Forest Gump ha!ha!
A really lovely Camino
Hope the sun shines on you.
Buen Camino
All the best Woody

Attachments

• VID-20210920-WA0015.mp4
    9.9 MB
  • VID-20210921-WA0004.mp4
    13 MB
I walked it two years ago Woody, in September. The inland route. Lisbon to Santiago. It was hot. Hardly any rain and a very dry heat. Didn’t bother me too much but my wife and I did most of our walking in the early morning hours. We were with enough other pilgrims doing the same and the company was great for most of the way. Loved it and would do it again anytime if things were normal. I guess October would be a little less hot? And easier. Good luck and enjoy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walked it early to mid-October, arriving SdC on Oct 18. The part from Porto to Caminha on the senda litoral/coastal was stunning weather-wise. After turning inland to Tui, it rained all the way to SdC. If I walk it again, I will stay with the coast all the way to Redondela then take the Spiritual Variant.

Most of the bars/cafes and albergues were open, but some had closed at the beginning of October.

If you are going all the way to Santiago, Four Seasons, a late September start will get you there by late October, still a pleasant time of year as a rule. As always, though, good luck with the weather is a bonus that sometimes eludes us all. Buen Camino. Tom

I walked the Coastal route from A Guarda to SdC the last week in September and first week in October in 2018. It was a great time to walk the Camino. I chose that time so the weather wouldn't be too hot, and the route wouldn't be crowded with Peregrinos and tourists The weather was beautiful…chilly mornings and warm afternoons. The coldest I experienced was leaving Caldas at 7am. The temperature was 5 degrees Cel. The weather turned wetter and colder when I reached SdC on Oct 6.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
Walked this year from Porto on the Coastal, Senda Litoral and Espiritual arrived Porto on 17th Sept and arrived Santiago 10th Oct flew home on the 13th!
Windy a couple of days and one full day of rain from Redondela!
Rest of the journey weather great, lots of sun although not all day everyday.
Temperatures averaged after early morning chill; 20 to 27 degrees Celsius take enough water!
(I got a bit dehydrated on the wet day from Redondela; it was warm but wet which was cooling but i missed a fuente or maybe two had drunk my 5 x 330ml bottles expecting something to turn up it didn't lesson learned)
Added these two vids the mention of my hair was a joke for the family; as i haven't got enough hair to worry about! I think my commentary always sounds a bit like Forest Gump ha!ha!
A really lovely Camino
Hope the sun shines on you.
Buen Camino
All the best Woody
I love the video's :) Thank you Woody for the information. I got my Brierley Guide today. I'll be studying it and hope I will find my way up the coast all the way to Padron. Blessings and Merry Christmas. :)

Thank you all for your responses and much appreciated sharing of experiences. I plan to hug the coast and do the spiritual variant then turn inland a Padron. I received the Brierley Guide today and hope it's as easy to follow as his CF guide was. I've got some studying to do.

Blessings to everyone and a Merry Christmas. :)

The link below will provide a historical view of weather for various places on, or close to, routes. I have the page set to Porto as you indicated that as your desired starting point.

B

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for your responses and much appreciated sharing of experiences. I plan to hug the coast and do the spiritual variant then turn inland a Padron. I received the Brierley Guide today and hope it's as easy to follow as his CF guide was. I've got some studying to do.

Blessings to everyone and a Merry Christmas. :)
The Brierley guides are good. If you want one on your phone, it's hard to beat the Wise Pilgrim app.
If you haven't been to Porto before, plan for an extra day there. Great city.
I hope you have a wonderful time on the CP.

The link below will provide a historical view of weather for various places on, or close to, routes. I have the page set to Porto as you indicated that as your desired starting point.

B
This is great!!! Thank you. ☺️

The Brierley guides are good. If you want one on your phone, it's hard to beat the Wise Pilgrim app.
If you haven't been to Porto before, plan for an extra day there. Great city.
I hope you have a wonderful time on the CP.
Yes, I used the wise pilgrim app on del Norte, a life saver. Also, I do plan on spending a day in Porto, so much to see. Thank you! ☺️

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Early October this year so as above. Warm weather, some rain. Most places open but some had closed at end of September.

But early mornings are in the twilight in Portugal but in the dark in Spain (1 hours difference when you cross the border). So you can either plan for late start for the daylight or take lots of batteries for your torches.

September or October on the coastal route from Porto. Which would you choose and why? Or if you’ve walked September how was it weather wise? Same for October. Thanks!

I know and understand weather is unpredictable. I’m asking for preferences and experience. ☺️ I’m planning to start walking around the 6th of the month, either month.

Buen Camino 😎👣
Hi Four Seasons, don't know if anyone's mentioned it. The weather may be ok that time of year but you have much less daylight. You'll be getting ip in the dark and setting off pre dawn and sometimes arrive in the dark. It is magical walking out pre dawn but you may not be comfortable walking along a wooded trail in pitch darkness. If you are, you're fine but bring a good head torch! Rechargable ones are available these days - would recommend one of those.
All the best,

Patrick

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back