• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September plans to walk the coastal route from Lisbon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Leaving Lisbon 9/22 for Estoril, Sintra, Fatima, Porto, SdC.
Here is first 10 days/200km to Fatima:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1X1RwlXnlfPhTScpVdT6b4poRVrQ&ll=39.45352475734819,-8.659402949218702&z=10
That looks an interesting route.
Just a suggestion. Out to the coast from Fatima is 'Nazare where Mountains Move'.
The great undersea pulses surge up a deep narrow canyon to rise suddenly to enormous heights before collapsing on the shore.
Here is where the bravest of the brave ride. You'll find them on Utube.
A beautiful beach/holiday spot.
Having need of an injury recovery period I got a 2bdrm unit for 25 euro per night.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
ok folks. I've absorbed your thoughts and rerun our route, linked in my blog here:https://canadianinvasion.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/caminho-do-mar/

The route is a slightly customized version, eliminating the first night camping west of Cascais in favor of a day trek thru the park to Sintra for the night, and other changes like that. Due to Google maps limits on waypoints, I made two maps; Cascais to the town before Nazare and Nazare to Porto. Another limit is that Google doesn't show every walkable path so these maps a off in some parks, etc. Most days under 20km, on the water or next to, cool towns, and adding a rest day per week in Nazare and Porto. Total is 333km Cascais to Porto, guessing 14-16 days.
Thoughts?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ok folks. I've absorbed your thoughts and rerun our route, linked in my blog here:https://canadianinvasion.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/caminho-do-mar/

The route is a slightly customized version, eliminating the first night camping west of Cascais in favor of a day trek thru the park to Sintra for the night, and other changes like that. Due to Google maps limits on waypoints, I made two maps; Cascais to the town before Nazare and Nazare to Porto. Another limit is that Google doesn't show every walkable path so these maps a off in some parks, etc. Most days under 20km, on the water or next to, cool towns, and adding a rest day per week in Nazare and Porto. Total is 333km Cascais to Porto, guessing 14-16 days.
Thoughts?

I have moved these posts to create a separate thread, so that David's questions won't get merged in the other more standard Lisbon questions. My thoughts are that this looks like a great idea, and I hope you will remind me to watch your blog come late September! Bomcaminho, Laurie

Thoughts?
Hi David, I will start the Camino Sept 19th. You never know, we may cross paths

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That looks an interesting route.
Just a suggestion. Out to the coast from Fatima is 'Nazare where Mountains Move'.
The great undersea pulses surge up a deep narrow canyon to rise suddenly to enormous heights before collapsing on the shore.
Here is where the bravest of the brave ride. You'll find them on Utube.
A beautiful beach/holiday spot.
Having need of an injury recovery period I got a 2bdrm unit for 25 euro per night.
Regards
Gerard
I will bee arriving in Lisbon with a friend 9/19. I am going to be considering your route! Thanks

I hope it's helpful. Due to the limits of Google Maps, I wasn't able to put in every single way point on each of the two interactive maps. I think I left one way point off on each map. I have them marked in a notebook. But it's basically anywhere you see a 40-kilometer day, it would be split into half.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope it's helpful. Due to the limits of Google Maps, I wasn't able to put in every single way point on each of the two interactive maps. I think I left one way point off on each map. I have them marked in a notebook. But it's basically anywhere you see a 40-kilometer day, it would be split into half.

I am so looking forward to this.
I am looking for a profile map. Is the route hilly?
="David St Augustine, post: 542022, member: 72385"]I hope it's helpful. Due to the limits of Google Maps, I wasn't able to put in every single way point on each of the two interactive maps. I think I left one way point off on each map. I have them marked in a notebook. But it's basically anywhere you see a 40-kilometer day, it would be split into half.[/QUOTE]

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is our plan for Lisbon to Porto. The hotels are just examples for distance.
https://canadianinvasion.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/our-way/

Looking forward to following you on this walk. I don't remember other forum member who reported back live on this route, but maybe my memory is fading. In any event, I look forward to hearing how you find it. It sounds like you have pulled together your route from various sources, quite a challenge. And hoping that you are able to avoid pavement and road shoulder walking! Bom caminho to you and your wife.

ps. I think you made a wise decision not to walk from Lisbon out to Cascais, the road is very heavily traveled. Even though there are walking lanes alongside for part of it, it is all asphalt, I believe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, David,
I am really enjoying your blog posts. I hope you will have your GPS tracks for anyone who wants to follow in your footsteps, because I am assuming this route is not well marked.

I spent an afternoon/evening in Ericeira once years ago and went into the main square to find some highly touted local pastries, whose name I can't remember, but I do remember there were two bakeries there. But one of the strangest sights I ever saw was some street musicians in the square wearing Native American regalia (of the Sioux "war bonnet" variety), playing pan pipes and singing "guantanamera." My memory is losing a lot of its potency, but for some reason this image stays with me, maybe because someone told me several years ago that they were still there!

Thanks for posting your experiences, bom caminho, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much Laurie. You should really follow my wife's as well, hers has way more pictures and better descriptions. Here is the address: www.USbyus2016.com We don't really know how to record our GPS tracks, but all we're doing is following the Google Maps walking path. It's pretty straightforward and so far, so good. The only drag is that you need to bring a backup charger/Mophie because it does drain the battery over the course of five or six hours of hiking.

Wendy has an iPhone and tomorrow we will try her MapMyWalk feature to see if that records it. Otherwise, it's basically the Google Maps that are on my original post.

The bakery is Casa Fernanda and the pastries are ouriços.

Thanks again,

David and Wendy

Looks like you guys are on a pastry pilgrimage. :) That's a very respectable thing to do in Portugal, so don't think I'm being critical. I noted on your wife's blog that you found the travesseiros in Piriquita in Sintra, so either you have a good source of tips or a great nose for sweets!

I have made this thread a sticky one because we have so few (if any) good descriptions of the coastal camino from Lisbon. Both of the blogs are a lot of fun to read!

And please don't worry about recording the tracks, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that there are tracks already posted in your thread! No point in wearing down that precious phone battery to perform an unnecessary function. Wishing you the very best, ultreia, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi, Dave,
I think you are making the right call, audible or not. When I was a kid, my mom always told me "wisdom is the better part of valor," and I have to admit I had no idea what she meant till I was in my 20s in some situations like this. If you are looking for what to do with all those extra days that have suddenly opened up, you can be sure that there are some of us who will have lots of suggestions if you want to keep walking. There are all sorts of beautiful caminos out there, just waiting for peregrinos like you! Enjoy Obidos, are you now going to skip Nazare? Bom caminho! Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ouch, so sorry to hear this. Hope you still manage to enjoy yourselves for the rest of your stay. A week traveling around Portugal is not a bad Plan B! And it sounds trite, but we always say it and it's true (as many trite things are)-- the Caminho isn't going anywhere and will be ready when you are! Laurie

€149,-
We return to Vila Do Conde this Saturday to resume our Caminho!

I have moved these posts to create a separate thread, so that David's questions won't get merged in the other more standard Lisbon questions. My thoughts are that this looks like a great idea, and I hope you will remind me to watch your blog come late September! Bomcaminho, Laurie

This looks like an amazing route. Will there be places to obtain the necessary stamps along this route?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back