Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

September Porto to Santiago central route

Sjp007

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 St James
2020 St James
I’m starting Sept 7th from Porto to Santiago…doing the Central route but starting day one on the coast out of Porto to Perafita…any suggestions on the best city into start heading inward from the coast?
I was thinking of either:
-Perafita towards Moreira then up to Arcos
-Or walking the coast to Azurara then up to Arcos
Anyone else doing the central beginning of Sept?

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Oliviao

Future
We walked Porto to SdC in March. Headed inland at Vila do Conde, joining Central route at Arcos. (We return next week to walk Vila do Conde to Vigo - the coastal part we missed by heading inland)

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

JZA

2018, 2019, 2022
I’m starting Sept 7th from Porto to Santiago…doing the Central route but starting day one on the coast out of Porto to Perafita…any suggestions on the best city into start heading inward from the coast?
Vila do Conde was where I switched. I have since done the coastal route and preferred it. Walking by the ocean is special but you are also more exposed to harsh weather.

Oliviao

Future
How long did you take to do this Oliviao?
12 nights in total. We got the historic tram from the waterfront in Porto to Foz do Douro (as we had walked this stretch the last time we were in Porto). It gave us a good taste of the coastal/littoral plus majority on Central (which seemed more advisable in March)

astrid harrison

september 2016
We are also starting in September from Porto taking the central route. Our first night will be spent in Acros. Deciding between two options that would suit us on day 1. Etheir metro to Vilar do Pinheiro and walk to Arcos from there to avoid the worst of the outer city (central route). Or we may metro to Mathosinhos by the sea and walk up to Vila do Conde along the coast then taxi to Acros from there. I have read online that the route/road from Villa do conde (coastal route) to meet the (central route) in Arcos is not pleasant and contains walking along roads with no shoulder which we are going to avoid but many people still use. ☺️

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Sjp007

2017 St James
2020 St James
We are also starting in September from Porto taking the central route. Our first night will be spent in Acros. Deciding between two options that would suit us on day 1. Etheir metro to Vilar do Pinheiro and walk to Arcos from there to avoid the worst of the outer city (central route). Or we may metro to Mathosinhos by the sea and walk up to Vila do Conde along the coast then taxi to Acros from there. I have read online that the route/road from Villa do conde (coastal route) to meet the (central route) in Arcos is not pleasant and contains walking along roads with no shoulder which we are going to avoid but many people still use. ☺️
That’s my dilemma as well…maybe I’ll see you in the route!!

kkuencer

Portuguese Camino
We are starting on 9 September from Porto on the Central route. We've arranged everything through Portugal Green Walks.

karenlh

Planning for 2022
12 nights in total. We got the historic tram from the waterfront in Porto to Foz do Douro (as we had walked this stretch the last time we were in Porto). It gave us a good taste of the coastal/littoral plus majority on Central (which seemed more advisable in March)
I’m looking at going in March 2023. Did you have any issues finding places to stay? Were there many other people on the route? any other concerns in March? Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

We’ve read that if you take the boat on the VE to Padron you will not receive a Compostella even if you’ve started way back - such as in Coimbra as we are planning…
Hi, I'm starting on Sunday October 2nd from Lisbon. Flying in from Dublin, Ireland. Just wondering if there are any others starting then as I'm travelling on my own and would appreciate some...
We've made a spur of the moment decision to walk from Porto on the central route in the first week of October. Anyone walking at the moment? How busy is it and how is accommodation holding up...

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2022 Camino Guides