• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September Portugese Coastal: 26 l Osprey or Eja 38 backpack?

Ducks

Walking for 3
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese (2020)
Camino Frances (2021)
Hello and this is probably the first question of many.

I'm a woman, 62, planning to walk the Portugese Coastal Camino from Porto, probably in May or September 2020 unless I can swing it earlier!

I'll be staying mostly in B&B type accommodation - so without a need for sleeping bag - I'm not sure whether the Osprey 26 litre backpack will be sufficient, or better to go with the Eja 38?

I've tried them both on and they fit very well, but I can't decide which one would be best. Weight and bulk is a concern for me because of health reasons and I'm planning to travel very light. I'm not sure whether a bigger backpack is going to balance well if it isn't quite full, so and maybe the 26 litre is sufficient.

They both weigh about the same as far as the frame.

Thank you to any experienced pilgrims for any advice

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd think the 26 l pack should be enough if you pack thoughtfully. I did the Portuguese last year with an Osprey Kyte 36, but downgraded to Osprey Tempest 30 this year. I wanted to buy the Eja but it's a little bit too long to meet certain carry in rules (if I remember correctly)

Hi Ducks!

I don't know the Eja 38, but I know the Osprey. The Osprey 26 would be fine.

Best thing about the Osprey is the guarantee. I had an Osprey Aether 70 for five years. In the last year a zip lost its stitching and two clips broke. Not the packs fault, I really hammered it (7 camino's) and it was old. I contacted Osprey last week to see if I can get the clips replaced and maybe (not expected) fix the zip. Now, the zip was a hip pocket, so not a problem, and the clips cost about £5 for both. I asked out of curiosity. I also informed them I had no receipt and could not even remember where I bought it from (online). They answered my email next day, saying sorry I had these problems, and they would replace the pack. What colour would I like? I received a new rucksack today, seven days after making the inquiry. I have heard many similar stories too.

I don't know Eja packs, but for peace of mind you can't do much better than Osprey. They are expensive, but very good quality. I am not endorsing the company but I was sure impressed!

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would have taken the Eja! Exos and Eja, the lady variant of Osprey Exos, is very easy to carry, full or not. I have an Exos 48 which I prefer even if a smaller backpack is big enough. On the camino it is ok to have some empty space in the bp, for food and water, it is easier to pack as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Two of us " senior lady pilgrims " invested in Osprey Eja 38L rucksacks and walked the Portuguese Camino in May. We wished we'd bought them years ago. Pure comfort.
No need to fill the bag to full capacity and one can remove the top smaller bag section of wished.

Also consider if the height of either pack interferes with the back brim of your hat. This happened to me on my first trek with my Tilley hat. I ended up having to pin up the back brim and the hat never sat well as a result.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My friend initially bought a smaller Osprey rucksack (26 or 28L) but checked it at home then returned to the store and exchanged it for the Eja. No regrets.

The Eja looks very similar to the Osprey 'Kestrel, although in a female-fit. I use a Kestrel and love it.

I considered a smaller (than 38l) sack, as I also prefer accommodation which does not require a sleeping bag but I stayed with the larger sack because:

I think smaller sacks are generally less stable and have less comfortable harnesses (Note the use of 'I think' there folks - it's an opinion).

One can be more relaxed about packing the sack. Smaller packs can require a more structured approach to loading.

The downside is that you have to remain disciplined about what you choose to carry. Don't be tempted to fill the space just because you have it.

Last edited:
I am using the Exos 38 (male version of the Eja 38) and am loving it. I’m seriously impressed; and I recommend you use the Eja.
I am using safety pins to fasten wet clothes to the tighten-straps, to dry in the sun.
I am still debating whether I was right to get the water bladder, or whether I should have just taken a water bottle. Water bottles are much easier to fill up at public fountains, and are easily reachable in the Eja/Exos pockets. But the mouthpiece clipped to my chest strap means I probably drink more than I otherwise would.
Either way, I don’t have the water bladder in the backsack’s designated space any more - I have it floating free at the top of the backpack, for ease of re-filling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not a fan of water bladders, and definitely don't want one inside the rucksack.
That pocket for the bladder on the inside is a perfect place to keep papers safe and flat. Tickets, certificates etc. The Padrona certificate carefully covered with the large Padron paper map, travelled well in this pocket.

Only disappointment with the Eja 38 was that it did not come with a rain cover.
I bought that online afterwards. I was glad I bought the bigger size rain cover.

I concur what they said about the Exos/Eja (38) that it is a very comfortable light backpack (very good shoulder padding).
I only have 2 remarks:
1) to big for carry on luggage on the plane
2) it can't stay right up due to it's shape.
I can live with that 🤗.
The Kestrel/Kyte is not the same the Exos/Eja.
Is a bit heavier, has a zipper on the longside and a build in rain cover.
I would say that you test both the Eja and Kyte with some weight in a store before buying at the best price 😉
Welcome on the forum and Buen Camino 👣

Update:
Kyte is 36l - 1,47kg
Eja is 38l - 1,13kg + rain cover 0,08kg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Ducks!

Best thing about the Osprey is the guarantee. I had an Osprey Aether 70 for five years. In the last year a zip lost its stitching and two clips broke. Not the packs fault, I really hammered it (7 camino's) and it was old. I contacted Osprey last week to see if I can get the clips replaced and maybe (not expected) fix the zip. Now, the zip was a hip pocket, so not a problem, and the clips cost about £5 for both. I asked out of curiosity. I also informed them I had no receipt and could not even remember where I bought it from (online). They answered my email next day, saying sorry I had these problems, and they would replace the pack. What colour would I like? I received a new rucksack today, seven days after making the inquiry. I have heard many similar stories too.

I don't know Eja packs, but for peace of mind you can't do much better than Osprey. They are expensive, but very good quality. I am not endorsing the company but I was sure impressed!

Davey
Nice. I sell sell quality cutlery with the same policy. It's good business

Thanks for all of the replies. I got the 28 l Osprey. I'll give it a go on some training walks. With all of the pockets it really should be enough for me, especially if I have a little daypack too which I guess I would attach to the back at the bottom (where the sleeping bag could go) if I'm carrying them both.

The shops here (UK) have lots of sales on at the moment. It's a good time to pick up stuff.

Hi Ducks!

Davey
Now you have no excuse to keep on walking! Well done to Osprey for excellent customer care.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.