• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September weather and pilgrim passport

LollyPolly

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2012
New here, hello to everyone

I'm walking the camino in September ( 1- 15) and need a bit of help. Found most info about packing, cash, places to visit, etc. Could someone let me know how cold does it get in the evening, should i take something long sleeved?

Also where do can I get a pilgrim passport in Leon, all the posts I found seem to be quiet old...

In terms of distance, what is considered achievable? I'm 32, relatively fit (no training but goods at sports), quit smoking a year ago.... I'm planning 300 km in 15 days (I'm starting in Leon), do you think I could do it quicker? I want to spend a few days in Madrid first and I'm not sure how many days I should allow for that and how many for the Camino.

Thanks xx

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi LollyPolly,

As you know Leon to Santiago is 311 km. This distance will give you the pleasure of crossing the last mountains at O Cebreiro and then moving into the province of Galicia. You know best how fit you are and how many km you can comfortably walk each day.

In Leon you can obtain your Credential at the Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Sta Maria de Carbaial), Plaza Santa María del Camino. They have a pilgrim albergue and a guest house. Perhaps for your first night after traveling the guest house would be more comfortable for you. You need a reservation for the Monastery Guest House or Hospederia. Here is a link to their Web page in English. >> http://www.hospederiapax.com/en The Albergue and the Hospederia are next to each other. Be sure to visit the cathedral in Leon; the glass is superb!!

September is a wonderful time to walk the Camino. However you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be chilly. Be sure to take something warmer for evenings especially in the mountains. Long sleeves and a fleece would be useful.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have done the Leon to Santiago stretch several times in September. I have never needed a sleeping bag. Lightweight gloves are nice for cool mornings, but it was never cold indoors. If the albergue is too cool for you for sleeping, ask for a blanket. Dress in layers so that you can shed them as the day warms. Have clothes for very warm days; it has been over 90F several times during September, so shorts and t-shirts will be comfortable.

Two weeks is standard for the Leon to Santiago distance. The first couple of days out of Leon are excellent for training; some hills, but no sustained vertical distance. They will prepare you for crossing the next two mountain ranges!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Much of the Camino immediately west from Leon passes through suburban sprawl and parallels highways; however, there is a pleasant alternate way which avoids this.

Seven km out of Leon is the village La Virgen del Camino named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today this figure is within a splendid contemporary church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk. Basically a glass box, giant stylized metal sculptures of the Apostles cover the west façade. It, too, is a gem.

After visiting the church cross the main street and follow the alternate camino arrows for the marked way going slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. By following this you escape further N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl. At Villar de Mazarife there are several pilgrim albergues and you can then continue on towards Hospital de Órbigo and Astorga.

Margaret

Hey guys, also new here.

I am starting walking on 6 September from Pamplona. I intend to bus from Burgos to Leon and then do the Leon to Santiago stretch in 11 days. Is that reasonable? I see that two weeks has been mentioned above and wondering if 2 days of 39kms is too ambitious. I am fit and willing but not walked this kind of continued distances for many days.

Thanks!

Oh, also, is it easy picking up a pilgirms passport in Pamplona?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
is it easy picking up a pilgirms passport in Pamplona?
You can get one at the albergue, Jesus y Maria, or at the cathedral if the cathedral office is open.

The average temperatures in September are higher than May or June. Last year we had really chilly days and cold nights, especially in the Irago mountains, at the end of May and first two weeks of June.
In September, we had no cold days at all and didn't even take out our raingear. We all got quite sunburned so take sunscreen!

May Daily temp Ave max Av min
Pamplona 14.0 19.8 8.2
Logroño 15.3 21.0 9.5
Burgos 11.4 17.2 5.6
León 12.1 18.0 6.2
Ponferrada14.4 20.4 8.5
Santiago 12.9 17.7 8.1

September
Pamplona 18.0 24.4 11.7
Logroño 19.1 25.4 12.7
Burgos 15.7 22.9 8.5
León 16.4 22.9 9.9
Ponferrada17.9 24.3 11.4
Santiago 17.0 22.3 11.7

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Guys thank you so much, so informative!

Margaret - great instructions, I'll print them off. Thank you.

In terms or shoes - I was going to go for something lighter, boots for support but as light as possible. Would it be ok to cross the mountains with them?

I have been looking into the same questions, so thank you for both the questions and answers. I'll be arriving in Leon on 8th September to start walking on 9th - hope to meet some friendly faces along the way.
:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back