• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September weather and sleeping bags

JustPeachy

Time of past OR future Camino
Last 200km in Sept 2018
Hi all

My Husband and I are planning on walking the last 200km (or at least the last 10 days to Santiago) in mid September 2018. Planning on walking about 18 to 25km a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to start?

In terms of weather, how cold it will get? I am from South Africa so am used to warm weather and get cold quite easily so want to be prepared.

I am also wondering about rain? Should I get rain pants? and a rain jacket ? are the rain pants really necessary?

In all the videos i have seen people are using hiking poles, how necessary are these?

Because my husband and I are going together, we are going to try to get private rooms in the Hostels as much as possible. Do we need sleeping bags?

Thank you so much

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ponferrada.

Might even be a good idea to spend an entire day there, it's a far more beautiful and lively city than I think most in here realise. (the pilgrims' hostel is simply so astonishing that virtually nobody looks any further abroad)

I spent 2 nights in Ponferrada. There was plenty to do in the city including the Templar castle. Looks like it is about 216,9 km to Santiago. There is a Decathlon (sporting goods store) in Ponferrada.

Trekking poles - I would not do without, but it is personal preference. You might want to look at the elevation charts. Ponferrada is after the big descent from the Cruz de Ferro, but there is some good ascent on a rocky trail up O Cebreiro. Accidents can happen anywhere.

I think hostals typically have bedding (think mini hotel). A private room in an albergue may not have blankets. One night in a private room I shared with my peregrino buddy, my buddy used a table cloth he found in a cabinet in an albergue.:D:cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ponferrada.

Might even be a good idea to spend an entire day there, it's a far more beautiful and lively city than I think most in here realise. (the pilgrims' hostel is simply so astonishing that virtually nobody looks any further abroad)
I like Ponferrada too. Nice starting point. Maybe a little bit over 200 kms. If staying in private rooms you should not need a sleeping bag.
Buen camino.

Ponferrada.

I was lucky enough to be a hospitalera in 2002 at that wonderful albergue. And, winter 2014 camino I found my "miracle" boots there.

Ponferrada is divine. Stay there and start there if you wish.

Buen camino.

Take a light weight sleeping bag. It can be a little cooler and damper as you reach Galicia that time of year. Walking poles, personally I would'nt be without them, they take weight off your knees especially down hills and help keep you upright on rough and muddy ground. But poles like a lot of things is a personal choice. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all

My Husband and I are planning on walking the last 200km (or at least the last 10 days to Santiago) in mid September 2018. Planning on walking about 18 to 25km a day.

In terms of weather, how cold it will get? I am from South Africa so am used to warm weather and get cold quite easily so want to be prepared.

I am also wondering about rain? Should I get rain pants? and a rain jacket ? are the rain pants really necessary?

In all the videos i have seen people are using hiking poles, how necessary are these?

Because my husband and I are going together, we are going to try to get private rooms in the Hostels as much as possible. Do we need sleeping bags?

Thank you so much
Where you start, I will leave to others to suggest. It will not be cold in September. I have walked twice at that time of year, 2013 and 2016. Both times were very warm. In fact, the locals said that September 2016 was the warmest month of the year. Rain? who knows. First time I was there, it rained one day so bad that it made Noah's experience look like a light shower. So yes, it more than likely will rain one or two days. The rain pants I had, I dumped. I found them to be sweaty and uncomfortable. The rain jacket will for the most part be just weight on your back but I would not do without it. Made the mistake of sending mine home and regretted it. Poles are a personal choice. I would not be without mine. I need them badly for climbing hills but thats just me. Private rooms or dorms, you should be able to get away with a sleeping bag liner. Hope that helps

Hi all

Thank you so much
Hi there, also from South Africa. I did it with my husband in 2013 mid September. Started in SJPdP and ended in Santiago. Weather was wonderful to start, but it got really cold. Bought long johns and vests and wore gloves to start in the morning. It rained a lot on the 2nd 1/2 so definately take a rain jacket. We took rain pants which were great. I would rather be prepared for all weather conditions. And make sure your shoes/boots are waterproof.
In terms of a sleeping bag, I would think that a sleeping bag liner would be fine. We took one that we soaked in anti mite muti. We also took a really light weight sleeping bag. Also hoping to do it again this year. Early Sept.
Definately hiking sticks. Cannot walk without them. Two are better than one. Helps on the uphills and on the downhills.
Buen Camino xx

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back