• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Serious Doubts 3 Weeks Before Camino

lighteningstrike

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (June-July 2018)
Well, as the title says, really.

I booked my flights to Biarritz and from Santiago a while back, planned dates are 19th June to 24th July. But now that my start date is only 3 weeks away, I'm seriously worried if this is something I'm ready for, or if I should cancel.
There's not one specific reason for my fears - I think the most pressing are:
  • Fitness (or lack there of) - I'm 25, not very fit, but not overweight and don't have any health conditions that would impair me. Just a fairly sedentary person who does barely anything in the way of exercise. I don't think this can be improved in the next 3 weeks, but am scared this is going to be too much of a challenge for me. Just how fit do you need to be?
  • Heat - I'm a student, so this is the only time I have to walk the Camino, but am worried about how I'll deal with Spanish mid-summer heat.
  • Finances - again, I'm a student, so my budget is fairly limited. What would be a reasonable budget for the Camino?
I'm sorry, I'm sure these questions have been asked repeatedly on this forum, and I know ultimately it's my decision whether to go ahead with the Camino or not. But any advice, wisdom, encouragement or pragmatism would be very much appreciated, as I try to make my decision!

Many thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have never prepared for any of my Caminos. Just take it slow and “listen” to your body.
Walk early in the day to avoid the heat.
Stay in municipal Albergues. As long as you do not splurge, it is not that expensive once you arrive in Spain. I could be comfortable with 20-25 euros a day.
Go!! You’ll figure it out and be fine.

I booked my flights to Biarritz and from Santiago a while back, planned dates are 19th June to 24th July. But now that my start date is only 3 weeks away, I'm seriously worried if this is something I'm ready for, or if I should cancel.
  • Fitness (or lack there of) - I'm 25, not very fit, but not overweight and don't have any health conditions that would impair me. Just a fairly sedentary person who does barely anything in the way of exercise. I don't think this can be improved in the next 3 weeks, but am scared this is going to be too much of a challenge for me. Just how fit do you need to be?
  • Heat - I'm a student, so this is the only time I have to walk the Camino, but am worried about how I'll deal with Spanish mid-summer heat.
  • Finances - again, I'm a student, so my budget is fairly limited. What would be a reasonable budget for the Camino?
I'm sorry, I'm sure these questions have been asked repeatedly on this forum, and I know ultimately it's my decision whether to go ahead with the Camino or not. But any advice, wisdom, encouragement or pragmatism would be very much appreciated, as I try to make my decision!

Many thanks.

Hello,

I also booked my flight for 19th June and having doubts :)
I think that it's a experience that you have to see for yourself if you can do it. I've read a lot about the Camino in the last few months and the opinion are various.
Which Camino are you doing?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Make sure that your Camino shoes are properly broken in. If not, you have 3 weeks to get that done. Hope you don't cancel and looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Last edited:

Many thanks.
Just get on the patch and walk it and see first hand. No serious doubts for me leave on Tuesday and am 73. Mind you it's my 10th Camino. Nevertheless, try it.

You are only 25 years of age and sounds like you have no physical disabilities or medical conditions that would hinder your walk. You do not have to be a beast athlete to walk the Camino. You will have no problems if.....
you pack sensibly, which means a light pack and for June-July you could easily walk the Camino with a pack around 5 kilos in weight
yes, it can be warm on the Camino, but it is not the Sahara desert by any stretch....bring sunscreen, proper clothes, a proper hat for the sun and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate while walking
three weeks is enough time to prepare physically, as you can go on some training walks of 5k at first then move up to 10k and wear the footwear you plan on wearing while on the Camino so as to know if they fit well, etc
stay in albergues to stay on budget, and municipal and donativo ones when you can....the donativo albergues are for pilgrims in your situation, not for fatcats like me lol
Take that leap of faith and walk the Camino. You will love it and later wonder why you ever had doubts in the first place.
cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Many thanks.
We all have these doubts. I am on the camino for the first time and wasn't really well prepared. I had my doubts and still do. Every night I examine the route for the next day and check options like bus etc.
Then I wake up and put on my gear and join fellow caminos all shapes, sizes and fitness levels walking thier walk. I find each day a different lesson.... be it physical, emotional, or spiritual, all affirming. Its not hard the way you think it will be...its like life.. each day different but amazing and rewarding as you walk on ticking off miles places and sights. The local cooked food alone is worth walking for and all amazing value. Come with an open mind and go easy on yourself. Enjoy the journey

What RJM says ... :)

Cold feet are not unusual ... until, that is, you’re walking ;)
You are young, the Camino called you; all you have to do is keep walking ... steadily ...
Robo and Pat’s silver trekking umbrellas look great for keeping the sun off ... if your budget runs to one.
There are some lovely donativos on the Way ... muck in with the meal prep/clearing and you’ll feel okay about not being able to donate much.
When I walked, there was a young woman walking without any money at all. She was cared for in the spirit of the Camino :)
Go for it ... there’s nothing like it ... and Buen Camino!

Fitness - worst case you walk only short distances each day and then bus to Santiago.
Heat - you may be uncomfortable at times but hydrate and take other advice and you'll be fine.
Finances - halfway across the CF we came across a young lady that had been getting by with 15 euros a day.
Don't worry and have a wonderful Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There's no downside to not being fit - its not a remote hike - there i always a bus or taxi if you've had enough. Anyways at 25, 3 weeks is well long enough to get fit - put your shoes and pack on and start walking

Many thanks.

Hey lighteningstrike,

Fitness: Grab your pack, put 10% of your body weight in it and go for walks. Where you pack with the weight around the house while you do things. Also, I've spoken to many who have done little to no preparation for the trip and have had no problems.
Heat: Get tech fabrics, drink plenty of water, and have a big hat with a big brim. Many many many pilgrims walk this time of year.
Finances -- Be frugal. Buy your food from the grocery, stay at places that are donativo (donation).

The way I see it, you can fly to Spain begin walking, have an adventure, test yourself, see how far you get and come home with stories to tell friends. Or, you can stay home and never know.

In honesty, don't be afraid. One of the many great things about the Camino is that everyone helps each other.

Please go. Please walk.

Buen Camino.

Many thanks.

We are planning to leave SJPP on June 18 and take 2 days over the Pyrenees. There will be 10 of us because one in our group will be in a 'trekking chair' due to cerebral palsy. The rest of us (several 25-30 year olds) will be rotating pushing/pulling this chair. We are all in decent shape, but there are definitely some in the group more sedentary than others.

We hope you come cuz we may see you in Roncesvalles :)!

Susan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Many thanks.
I think more 25 year olds,are fitter than me being 73, and I walked from Oviedo to Muxia last fall with no problems. Do not carry too much. You have time to break in some shoes,which is the most important thing. I would suggest an easier Camino like the Madrid,and if you finish it and want to walk more,do it. Or stop. Whatever suits you. This is your camino,so do it your way and you will have a wonderful time. The important thing is not to back out,and take a chance,you will not regret it.

Hi , everything sad I only can say listen to your body and I wish you a wonderfull journey and a Buen Camino , Peter .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You do realise that by leaving Spain on the 24th that you miss the St James' Day fireworks in Santiago?
Apart from that oversight, my advice is between now and leaving to get lots of walking exercise. If you can walk it in under 30 minutes, do so if you have the time. Or cycle. Avoid your car like the plague. You need to average 23 km/day over the whole trip. Assume you will walk about 4 km/hr so 6-7 hours per day. that includes toilets stops and the odd coffee. There is nothing saying you can't take 10 hours to go the same distance if you need to and there are plenty of potential stops along the CF. Just start early ie get out the door by about 0630 while it is a bit cooler and start walking. Try to finish your day by about 3 pm because that's when the heat really does start to get to you. In the first week be kind to yourself and if you do less that 23 km, don't panic. If you overdo it you will injure yourself. Smell the roses/thyme/lavender etc. I do suggest taking an umbrella as a portable sunshade. It can really make the difference in the hot weather. Hydrate, hydrate and then hydrate some more. Dunk a buff or your tshirt in the nearest fuente because that makes a big difference. Try to avoid walking on asphalt and the road itself as they are surfaces that kill your feet.

Many thanks.
Your dates are almost exactly what ours are...we are walking June 21-July 28. I say you should go for it! Ease your body into it. Don’t do too much too soon. Hike early to beat the heat, and take one day at a time. Pretty soon all of those “one days” turn into the whole Camino

Let your fear come -accept it and let it pass through you . Many before you -millions over a thousand years - have felt the same fear as you and have gone through it . You can too ! Enjoy yourself . It will be a marvellous adventure of a lifetime .i wish you well . Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You do realise that by leaving Spain on the 24th that you miss the St James' Day fireworks in Santiago?
Apart from that oversight, my advice is between now and leaving to get lots of walking exercise. If you can walk it in under 30 minutes, do so if you have the time. Or cycle. Avoid your car like the plague. You need to average 23 km/day over the whole trip. Assume you will walk about 4 km/hr so 6-7 hours per day. that includes toilets stops and the odd coffee. There is nothing saying you can't take 10 hours to go the same distance if you need to and there are plenty of potential stops along the CF. Just start early ie get out the door by about 0630 while it is a bit cooler and start walking. Try to finish your day by about 3 pm because that's when the heat really does start to get to you. In the first week be kind to yourself and if you do less that 23 km, don't panic. If you overdo it you will injure yourself. Smell the roses/thyme/lavender etc. I do suggest taking an umbrella as a portable sunshade. It can really make the difference in the hot weather. Hydrate, hydrate and then hydrate some more. Dunk a buff or your tshirt in the nearest fuente because that makes a big difference. Try to avoid walking on asphalt and the road itself as they are surfaces that kill your feet.

The HUGE Feast of Santiago celebration every year at Santiago de Compostela officially kicks off with world class fireworks on the night of the 24th, just before midnight. This ushers in the feast day. Too many folks assume the fireworks are on the 25th (the day of the feast) and plan wrong.

FYI, the best viewing spot for the fireworks is from the area around the very large eucalyptus tree (the one with the bench surrounding it) on the pedestrian walk in Alameda Park. It is identified on the TI map by a camera logo, indicating a scenic view. I usually meet with friends and party here each year.

If you do not yet have a confirmed reservation for place to stay. MAKE IT TODAY! Too many pilgrims walk into Santiago around the 24th or 25th and will not be able to find a bed, at any price, at any location near to town. Tourists will take care of themselves. Fortunately, I am working as a volunteer then, and have a place to stay.

Each year, we have to direct people to Plaza de Galicia to catch the #6 bus (dir San Marcos) to ride out to Monte de Gozo, to stay at the large albergue some 5 km outside the center of the city. By the time the 25th rolls around each year, you need to go that far out of Santiago to 'hopefully) find a bed for the night.

Please plan ahead...

Hope this helps.

Many thanks.
You'll be absolutely fine. Don't think about it. Just do it. You will have an amazing time.
Buen camino

If you want inspiration re your fitness, then follow Andywild's blog. He's a cigarette drinking, beer eating, pizza and kebab smoking dude who has nearly finished his Camino. You should be able to find the link on this forum somewhere. Sorry, not very good with the tech!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The HUGE Feast of Santiago celebration every year at Santiago de Compostela officially kicks off with world class fireworks on the night of the 24th, just before midnight. This ushers in the feast day. Too many folks assume the fireworks are on the 25th (the day of the feast) and plan wrong.

FYI, the best viewing spot for the fireworks is from the area around the very large eucalyptus tree (the one with the bench surrounding it) on the pedestrian walk in Alameda Park. It is identified on the TI map by a camera logo, indicating a scenic view. I usually meet with friends and party here each year.

If you do not yet have a confirmed reservation for place to stay. MAKE IT TODAY! Too many pilgrims walk into Santiago around the 24th or 25th and will not be able to find a bed, at any price, at any location near to town. Tourists will take care of themselves. Fortunately, I am working as a volunteer then, and have a place to stay.

Each year, we have to direct people to Plaza de Galicia to catch the #6 bus (dir San Marcos) to ride out to Monte de Gozo, to stay at the large albergue some 5 km outside the center of the city. By the time the 25th rolls around each year, you need to go that far out of Santiago to 'hopefully) find a bed for the night.

Please plan ahead...

Hope this helps.

the best advice, planning for the days in Santiago, or rather the beds.

Im going to add my two cents. You CAN do it. My advice is to keep a really light pack. They get heavy as the days go by. Next, I'd tell you to not push yourself and drink water. I know everyone has already said this but it's so true. I got caught up with walking with pilgrims walking faster than I was comfortable with, but still walked with them. Of course, my feet started hurting plus other body parts, so my advice is to do this camino for yourself and walk your camino. You'll find so many others that will walk some distance with you and the time will fly by. It's an absolutely marvelous experience and one you don't want to miss. Go and have fun and just do your thing. It's your camino. I'm dying to hear how you do so be sure to let us all hear from you.

I would say to go for it! Many out-of-shape people have done this. As others have advised, take it slowly! I hope you can get a night’s refuge at Orisson, which is half way up the mountain from SJPDP. If you don’t have a reservation and can’t get one, consider staying at Huntto. Also, be sure to take the time to visit the tourist information office at SJPDP— their advice will be invaluable to you. After Roncesvalles, there are plenty of options, including take the bus from town to town for rest days. You only need to do the last 100 km to earn the certificate (from Sarria on in). So go and have a blast! About the heat, the last time I walked the whole route from SJPDP was 2014, and most mornings/evenings were quite cool, except for the area around Fromista. Temperatures vary, but bear in mind that you will typically experience few days with weather like in the south and east of Spain- that’s what makes the Camino a great hiking experience!
Go for it! I think you will have regret having gotten this far with booking flights etc and deciding to forego the experience. Lots of luck to you (Buen Camino!) and be sure to post about your experiences once you get there!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
- prepare yourself to be tested, and do not fret and despair too early.

Pack as light as you can and take care of your feet. these fellas are the first ones to rebel !
The skin is not used to be closed in all day in a pair of boots, and mind your ankles.
Consider walking sticks, wooden as-you-find ones or cheap / expensive ones.
If you get an ache of any sort, these sticks will be dear friends.
Ask for and receive any advice you can get if you have trouble with these your most humble servants (feet ie )

And yes there will some pain along the line somewhere, just do not panic !
My third camino presented this time a strained muscle inside my pelvis and a murring ache in the night from my sacro iliac joint that I had not managed to iron out before going, a 6 months problem in fact..
I went, slept 40% each night, has doubts each night whether to quit or not, kept on, cursed a lot ...
But walking remedied it every day, just to be tormented slightly at night.
3 weeks in, it disappeared.
So just keep on , but in sanity, of course.

so
Solvitur Ambulando
"It is resolved by walking" - or at least sometimes it just does,
but you will never know unless you try !!

Last edited:
When I left for the Camino, I didn't want to go. I'd booked it months before when it was an abstraction, but when it came time to go, I cried on the way to the airport. I cried AT the airport. I cried on the plane. I wrote lengthy desperate emails to my friends saying this was a terrible idea and I was an idiot for thinking I could do it. I missed my dog, my bed, my words that are my super power at home and that were useless in Spain. At the hotel in Madrid, I proposed abandoning the whole idea and blowing our money in Paris. But fortunately, my walking partner was wiser than I was and said, "No, I came to walk and I'm going to walk," and so we walked.

It was hands-down the most difficult experience of my life due to health issues that showed up halfway through. There were days when I got half a kilometer down the road and had to sit and rest for half an hour before continuing. It took me a week to walk what others did in two days. I actually have a recording of myself one km outside of Santiago sobbing into my phone recorder, "I'm tired, I can't go any further."

At the square in front of the cathedral, I collapsed in the rain and wept with gratitude and awe. Lots of people stared, but I didn't care. And then I picked myself up and walked to the End of the World, too.

It was hands-down the most amazing experience of my life. It changed my life. It changed me.

The doubts are part of the experience. Honor them, invite them along, and then leave them behind along the Way.

Buen Camino. <3

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As everyone else says, you’ll be fine once you are there.
We met a couple in their 80s who were walking up to 12km a day and enjoying it.

If carrying your pack gets too much then you can get it transported for you for a few days for only €5 per day, and very easy to organise just the night before.

Do walk over the Pyrenees and don’t be frightened into taking the road route. It’s a fabulous path over the top and not that hard, if you just keep going!

Have fun

Helen

You are 25 and have the chance for a summer in Spain - walking the Camino. To some of us that sounds like heaven, especially the 25 bit lol... Seriously, you have a great life opportunity in front of you, an opportunity to perhaps meet someone you have never truly met before, especially as you are only 25. That someone is you! After many years and many life challenges we may find out who we really are. To give yourself such a challenge at a young age, especially when you may not be fully prepared for it that you can find out who you really are. I say go and perhaps meet the most important person you will ever meet in your lifetime.

Hello everyone, I wanted to say a huge huge thank you for all your messages of advice and encouragement. I've been really blown away and actually quite moved by the posts here, as well as those of you who've reached out to me by private message. The thought of meeting similar kind souls on the Camino has been a real boost!
It's lovely to hear that I'm not the only one to have doubts, that that's normal, and that although this will be a challenge, it won't be impossible. What has helped most is all of you who have pointed out that this will be MY Camino - if I can't do it all in time, or need to take rest days, or need to catch a bus at some point, that's ok, it won't be any less 'real'. I think so much of my anxiety came from the fear that I'd go ahead and start, find it an awful/exhausting experience, and then think 'Well I'm stuck here now, I've started and have no choice but to keep on going, even though I can't.' It sounds silly even typing it out like that!
I've decided that I need to go and try, I'll certainly regret it if I don't. I'm sure I'll post with further questions in the future (for a start - I have spent all of today and yesterday trying to find some comfortable walking shoes, and absolutely none will fit properly! What am I doing wrong?!) but for now, a big thank you once more. You've really helped me, and I'm excited to see how this adventure unfolds!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone, I wanted to say a huge huge thank you for all your messages of advice and encouragement. I've been really blown away and actually quite moved by the posts here, as well as those of you who've reached out to me by private message. The thought of meeting similar kind souls on the Camino has been a real boost!
It's lovely to hear that I'm not the only one to have doubts, that that's normal, and that although this will be a challenge, it won't be impossible. What has helped most is all of you who have pointed out that this will be MY Camino - if I can't do it all in time, or need to take rest days, or need to catch a bus at some point, that's ok, it won't be any less 'real'. I think so much of my anxiety came from the fear that I'd go ahead and start, find it an awful/exhausting experience, and then think 'Well I'm stuck here now, I've started and have no choice but to keep on going, even though I can't.' It sounds silly even typing it out like that!
I've decided that I need to go and try, I'll certainly regret it if I don't. I'm sure I'll post with further questions in the future (for a start - I have spent all of today and yesterday trying to find some comfortable walking shoes, and absolutely none will fit properly! What am I doing wrong?!) but for now, a big thank you once more. You've really helped me, and I'm excited to see how this adventure unfolds!
Go to a proper walking shop, the assistants are trained to assess the best options for your feet. It will be an investment, but look at it this way: the shoes will outlast the camino if you get good ones, and the cost will be rationalised down to less than €1 per day over a year... you are a student: ask your granny for an early birthday present! And your budget, going back to your original post. 6 years ago we walked with a young German couple who had a VERY tight budget. They survived to tell the tale. Water beats every other drink for its hydration benefits, and with careful shopping you will feed yourself the kind of food that will sustain you without having to buy rubbish food. As another poster has taught me, - ‘just sayin’- ! Have a great time and keep us posted. I hope you will not have any lightning strikes as you walk...

I didn't walk when I first wanted to at 20.
It has taken 30- THIRTY YEARS for the chance to come around again.
You are young and healthy...... go have a walk in Spain.
Whats the worst thing that can happen? You don't finish? There are no down sides. Walk slow and enjoy.
At 25 your whole life is ahead of you....let the adventure begin!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Many thanks.
DO NOT CANCEL.

There is nothing in your posts that tells me you cant do it. I have a saying that goes if you have done all the preparation in the world you will hurt for seven days then you will be right . If you do no training at all you will hurt for seven days. So there.
I have done two Camino,s one in Aug, last year and I have just got back from my second as part of a documentary.
Do not let your self down by giving up before you start.
Heat, first time I walked it was 30 deg, but it is a different sort of heat yo will manage.
Money first time I budgeted 35 euros per day. At the start and at the finish it will cost you more but the spending will calm down and 35 euros a day in very achievable in fact I had change from that budget. Stay at municipal albergue,s cost 4-6 euros. Buy a pizza for tea 2.20 euros A beer 1 euro.
I am 70 years of age it changed my life it will change yours.
I trusted in some else more powerful that me to get me through as I get depression and anxiety attacks. It worked a treat. Might not be your style but it was mine.
Go for it good luck and God bless.

When I left for the Camino, I didn't want to go. I'd booked it months before when it was an abstraction, but when it came time to go, I cried on the way to the airport. I cried AT the airport. I cried on the plane. I wrote lengthy desperate emails to my friends saying this was a terrible idea and I was an idiot for thinking I could do it. At the hotel in Madrid, my walking partner and I considered abandoning the whole idea and blowing our money in Paris. But fortunately, she was wiser than I was and said, "No, I came to walk and I'm going to walk," and so we walked.

It was hands-down the most difficult experience of my life due to health issues that showed up halfway through. There were days when I got half a kilometer down the road and had to sit and rest for half an hour before continuing. It took me a week to walk what others did in two days. I actually have a recording of myself one mile outside of Santiago sobbing into my phone recorder, "I'm tired, I can't go any further."

At the square in front of the cathedral, I collapsed in the rain and wept with gratitude and awe. Lots of people stared, but I didn't care.

It was hands-down the most amazing experience of my life. It changed my life. It changed me.

The doubts are part of the experience. Honor them, invite them along, and then leave them behind along the Way.

Buen Camino. <3
Like you it changed my life to you have me close to tears reading your post. God bless you.

Let your fear come -accept it and let it pass through you . Many before you -millions over a thousand years - have felt the same fear as you and have gone through it . You can too ! Enjoy yourself . It will be a marvellous adventure of a lifetime .i wish you well . Buen Camino
This is so true! I love the phrase “accept it and let it pass through you.” I couldn’t put it any better.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I left for the Camino, I didn't want to go. I'd booked it months before when it was an abstraction, but when it came time to go, I cried on the way to the airport. I cried AT the airport. I cried on the plane. I wrote lengthy desperate emails to my friends saying this was a terrible idea and I was an idiot for thinking I could do it. At the hotel in Madrid, my walking partner and I considered abandoning the whole idea and blowing our money in Paris. But fortunately, she was wiser than I was and said, "No, I came to walk and I'm going to walk," and so we walked.

It was hands-down the most difficult experience of my life due to health issues that showed up halfway through. There were days when I got half a kilometer down the road and had to sit and rest for half an hour before continuing. It took me a week to walk what others did in two days. I actually have a recording of myself one mile outside of Santiago sobbing into my phone recorder, "I'm tired, I can't go any further."

At the square in front of the cathedral, I collapsed in the rain and wept with gratitude and awe. Lots of people stared, but I didn't care.

Buen Camino. <3
A beautiful and powerful personal testament. Thank you for sharing.

Hey lighteningstrike,

Fitness: Grab your pack, put 10% of your body weight in it and go for walks. Where you pack with the weight around the house while you do things. Also, I've spoken to many who have done little to no preparation for the trip and have had no problems.
Heat: Get tech fabrics, drink plenty of water, and have a big hat with a big brim. Many many many pilgrims walk this time of year.
Finances -- Be frugal. Buy your food from the grocery, stay at places that are donativo (donation).

The way I see it, you can fly to Spain begin walking, have an adventure, test yourself, see how far you get and come home with stories to tell friends. Or, you can stay home and never know.

In honesty, don't be afraid. One of the many great things about the Camino is that everyone helps each other.

Please go. Please walk.

Buen Camino.
Agree totally - once you decide your Camino starts. Goes are far as you want.

Not my original thought but this is good about hiking long trails. After two or three days you will think; "What on earth was I so worried about?" In four or five days your next overwhelming feeling will be- "How am I ever going to leave this place" and in 60 days, it will be "When can I get back out here?"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Many thanks.

I’ll be starting my second Camino on June 23 so you’re bound to be ahead of us. But let me tell you that I did my first (solo) Camino 4 years ago with no ability to train for steep trails. I weighed 30 pounds more than I do now and my pack was at least 5 pounds heavier than it is this time.

My life was sedentary. I’ve never been athletic and I was 30 years older than you. I finished the Camino in 38 days.

My point? If you are willing to walk slowly, start each day early, and eat very simply, the Camino is going to be your friend. The Camino will train you. Oh yeah- also use walking poles! They’ll lighten the load on your feet.

Keep your pack as light as you can. One outfit to wear, one in your pack. Don’t think about carrying your luxuries. Necessities only. Spain is a First-world country. If you desperately need something you can get it there.

You’ve got this! Check out “Camigas” on FB. It’s for solo female pilgrims. Maybe I’ll meet up with you along the way!

Buen Camino!

Sandi

I did the Camino in Oct/Nov last year, I was 55 then, quite overweight and in a sedentary job. While I wasn't doing it in the middle of summer, it was still quite hot for the first few weeks and I was only doing about 20kms a day and I made it. It's just one foot in front of the other. You can do this. Good luck and enjoy it.

Many thanks.
You can do this! take it easy and listen to your body as far as how far to go each day. Pack light and edit along the way if you need to lighten up along the way, gear can be donated to others or mailed ahead to Santiago at a special pilgrims rate through correos. For a very low daily rate of 4-5 euros a day you can send your things onto your next stop ( once you get a feel for your achiveable daily distance). Money wise this is probably the most economical form of European travel imaginable. You'll find people of all ages an fitness levels out there too, just take good care of your feet. I did the norte/ primativo yo celebrate my 60th leaving 6/19 last year everytime my feet really complained I stopped and rested somewhere, usually with my socks and shoes off laying down for a bit with my feet up, at your age the swelling feet of the aged shouldn't be an issue but letting your feet and footwear dry out midday will pay off huge. Don't let worries rob you of a fabulous and potentially life changing experience. Buen Camino!
I did the Camino in Oct/Nov last year, I was 55 then, quite overweight and in a sedentary job. While I wasn't doing it in the middle of summer, it was still quite hot for the first few weeks and I was only doing about 20kms a day and I made it. It's just one foot in front of the other. You can do this. Good luck and enjoy it.

Take it easy and you'll be fine. Way too many pilgrims truck out with lots of enthusiasm at the beginning and find they are probably not walking at the pace or cadence they originally trained, and they try and 'push thru' the pain in their feet. Well, I saw some horrific blisters the first couple of days out of St Jean, so take it EASY.

We planned 2 days from St. Jean to Roncesvalles and that was taking the low road thru Varcarlos. Find a pace you can live with and not have any injuries, and if that means you make up time on the bus somewhere in between, well, then so be it. This is YOUR Camino - taking it in whatever form you may will enrich your life.

The low road just isn't as spectacular - imo, if you’re going to take that road this time of year just begin in Roncesvalles. But I do agree in taking two days. This year for the first time I skipped the beech forest track from the summit and took the road into Roncesvalles. Piece of cake, comparatively, and also very pretty.

• Finances - again, I'm a student, so my budget is fairly limited. What would be a reasonable budget for the Camino

Many thanks.

My advice:

1. Walk shorter stages in the beginning and slowly build up your stamina. There is no law that says you must walk every step until you reach Sarria, so feel free to bus partial stages. In fact, if the weather is bad, taxi to Roncesvalles and begin there.

2. When it begins to get hot, buy an umbrella. You will be amazed at the difference it makes walking in “the shade”

3. I get by just fine on 30 Euros per day. If I picnic every day I can get by on less. Stay in as many parochial albergues as possible and ask if you can help the staff cook or clean to partially pay your donation.

€83,-
Try not to overthink it too much . Go your own pace . Do your own Camino . You will find what is right for you as you are doing it .One foot in front of the other and keep it simple . Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back