• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seriously off-topic

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I know this doesn't belong here there is a sub-forum for books but please, this is so wonderful that I ask the moderators to leave this here awhile before sending it off to the book section. I am totally obsessed with the Camino and have a large and ever growing library on the subject preferring history, historical accounts, and architecture above personal accounts; both Shirley McClain and Hape Kerkling have appeared on the shelves, briefly!

Last year I received a marvelous book as a birthday present: "Compostela and Europe: The Story of Diego Gelmirez" the second bishop and first archbishop of SdC. This is a large coffee table sized book loaded with information and wonderful photographs, one which I have already discussed. I have now come across several more which should be mentioned-winter is coming should have something both heartwarming and pertinent against the cold.

"Being a Pilgrim-Art and Ritual on the Medieval Routes to Santiago" by Kathleen Ashley and Marilyn Deegan a concise text with photographs like being there!

Now , the reason for this post: "San Isidoro in Leon-Romanesque Paintwork in the Pantheon of Kings" by Antonio Vinayo Gonzalez a small handbook of the frescos and paintings!!!! Available in several languages.

One last? The character of the Camino has always been changing now far different then even in the recent past - try "Religion in Secular Society" written long ago by Brian Wilson a bit over focused on England but a good thought provoking read. All are available from any of the used book web sites, my favorite, and this is not an advertisement they are considerably cheaper than say Amazon.

http://www.abebooks.com/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Scruffy1,

I checked out the website and, you are correct. Although you can search any subject, the holdings on all things Camino is extensive.

Buen "So I'm back again, Camino #4 in October" Camino.
Arn

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back