A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Server Problems

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

As you have noticed, the server the forum is running on has been struggling for the last 10-14 days.

The reason for this is that we have been under a constant attack, making the server suffer. We (my server-guy and I) have been trying varios ways to block these attacks with the current server, but nothing has helped.

The last 2 days we have been working on designing a new set-up, on a new server that will (hopefully) give us a better chance to protect ourselves. If all goes well today, we will be moving to this new server tomorrow (Thursday Nov 20th 2014) at around 08.00/09.00 in the morning (Santiago time). When this happens, the site will be down for about 1-2 hours so that we can make the move.

I am sorry for the bad user experience over the last few days. I guess becoming a popular camino sites also has its negative sides.

Thank you for your patience.
Ivar

Last edited:

Advertisment

evanlow

Camino(s) past & future
Frances06
Primitivo07
Plata08
Norte12
Levante(14-15)
Vasco16
Mozarabe(16-17)
Madrid17
Portuguese18
Good luck Ivar,

Server migration are always tough (I should know), and it probably still keep you busy for days after the move.
DoS/DDoS attack? Hope it does not break the bank to upgrade.

Advertisment

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-18
You are not alone. There are some major DDOS attacks going on here in the US too.

I had never heard of a DDOS attack before, so once again this forum adds to my knowledge base in many different ways! Good luck with this, Ivar, it sounds pretty ominous.

Not to be too dense here, but what is the point of this? What do the attackers hope to gain, other than the perverse pleasure of knowing that they are making things hard for you?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013), Primitivo (2015), Muxia/Fisterra (2015), Haervejen (2017)
Well I'm on and if I have the time zone thing right, you have migrated and everything looks great. I sure do hope that the fact that everything seems great from my user end means that the transition to the new server was smooth from your end! Thanks for working so hard to make this forum available and keep it going! Liz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013), Primitivo (2015), Muxia/Fisterra (2015), Haervejen (2017)
Well I'm on and if I have the time zone thing right, you have migrated and everything looks great. I sure do hope that the fact that everything seems great from my user end means that the transition to the new server was smooth from your end! Thanks for working so hard to make this forum available and keep it going! Liz
OK -- I just realized its Wednesday!! So smooth on my end clearly does not mean smooth on your end! Good luck with the transition. Liz

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I had never heard of a DDOS attack before, so once again this forum adds to my knowledge base in many different ways! Good luck with this, Ivar, it sounds pretty ominous.

Not to be too dense here, but what is the point of this? What do the attackers hope to gain, other than the perverse pleasure of knowing that they are making things hard for you?
I don't know what they are after (I have no idea who this might be). One effect of having a slow server (like we have now) is that the site is dropping in google. Meaning, if you search for camino related things in google, this site now comes up less since google sees that the site is slow and prefer to put others at the top.

That is the only thing I can think of.... :-(

I am crossing my fingers that we can fix this tomorrow morning. :)

Hasta mañana!
Ivar

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
(2019: Planning to return!)
Good luck Ivar! I'll add my thanks as well, for everything you do for us. I hope the move goes well and that you don't have to deal with anything like this again for a while!

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Frances 2013
Ingles 2014
Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017
Via Francegena 2018
Just to say thank you Ivar yours is the top site no matter what Google decide short term and time will prove that. Please don't forget to speak up if the changes become a strain on your own personal expenses!

smj6

Siempre hay que ver el positivo
Camino(s) past & future
Oct/Nov 2016 (Via Podensis/ Frances)
May 2018 (Via Francigena?)
It looks good to me, Ivar. Well done. Sounds like it was a rough two weeks.
Suzanne :)

karenfromcali

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances March/April 2014, Camino Frances Feb/March 2015. Camino Frances Feb/March 2016.
Wow! Loaded up fast! Awesome!!
Thanks Ivar :)

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
Loading fast and looks terrific. I've noticed lately than whenever I log on through the mobile app on the iPhone, an Australian commercial operator tries to "kidnap" me. That stopped when you changed server. Don't know if at all relevant.

Thank you most sincerely Ivar, for all the trouble you take. We would really be lost without you. I'm moved to make another small donation. Anyone else?

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
All good for us Ivar. Quicker than it has been for some time and no error messages either about coding not being correct (never had the 404 one). Long may it last and keep the nasties away :)

pilgrim b

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Frances 2013
Ingles 2014
Frances 2015
St Cuthbert's Way 2017
Via Francegena 2018
Like like like its great Ivar thank you and fast too.

nalod

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
Ivan very well done.
Just been reading up on DDoS attacks, the world has people who think they are clever but who are in fact very sad people. There has to be an increase in policing this area and punishing the offenders accordingly.

I am just about to invest good money ( which I cant afford to loose) in setting up a website to sell my wares and then I read about all the malicious things that can go wrong.

Sit back after all your good work and enjoy a glass of wine.

Regards Dermot

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPdP-Burgos, 2015)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Sarria, 2018)
Sarria-Santiago (fall 2018)
Adding my thanks for all the hard work that goes into this site, Ivar. It was so nice to click on just now and have everything zip right up onscreem! I hope it goes smoothly on your end from here on.

Camino(s) past & future
Walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago 2013
Planning the Portuguese Camino, September 2015
That was super fast Ivar... Canada is good to go!! Merci beaucoup!!

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Hi David, the app was discontinued several months ago.

Camino(s) past & future
Walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago 2013
Planning the Portuguese Camino, September 2015
I think the app was time consuming and unprofitable. Disappointment is understandable, but Ivar does an enormous service with this Forum. He might be quite willing to allow you to reopen and maintain the app!;)
Ouch!! Disappointed yes...critical of Ivar...never!! I DO appreciate everything he does for all of us and would never say anything other than kind words about him.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
ivar Announcements 12
ivar Announcements 5
Bridget and Peter Announcements 8
ivar Announcements 0
ivar Announcements 0

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%